Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 63853 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #475 on: August 01, 2022, 05:26:28 pm »
Nope. MaryAnn filled my head. The only possible also rans were Jeanie and Ellie May...

Until Heather Locklear. showed up on the Fall Guy... And also Daisy Duke... And then... nothing.
Yup all apple pie and sweetness, but there ain't nuthin like a bad girl. late nights were made for 

Offline verga

« Reply #476 on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:00 pm »
Yup all apple pie and sweetness, but there ain't nuthin like a bad girl. late nights were made for 
:amen: Brother testify.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2022, 09:35:55 pm »

She switched teams a while ago.  Sad day!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #478 on: August 01, 2022, 10:17:48 pm »
Can we please not go too far off track here? This is the obituaries thread.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2022, 12:23:35 am »
@verga

Not true. There was no shortage of volunteers during the VN war,or any war since then.

Even the women who join today understand that even though they supposedly have "non-combatant" roles as support people,in today's conflicts support personnel end up going into combat damn near as often as the infantry.

There is no such thing as "behind the battle lines" in todays wars.
Among the American Indians I know, being a Warrior is still an honored profession. It not only brings honor to the individual, but to the tribe as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #480 on: August 02, 2022, 03:05:30 am »
Among the American Indians I know, being a Warrior is still an honored profession. It not only brings honor to the individual, but to the tribe as well.

@Smokin Joe

Yup!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2022, 03:36:51 am »

Iconic Dodgers broadcaster Scully dies at age 94

Beloved former Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully died Tuesday at age 94, the team announced.

Scully served as the Dodgers' broadcaster for 67 years, including an eight-year stretch in Brooklyn before the franchise relocated to Los Angeles in 1958. His stint with the Dodgers was the longest time spent by a sports broadcaster with any one team.

A native of The Bronx, Scully was the broadcaster for 25 World Series, 20 no-hitters and 12 All-Star Games. He briefly served in the United States Navy before beginning his career as a broadcaster in 1949, when he called play-by-play for college football games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34338705/vin-scully-iconic-former-los-angeles-dodgers-broadcaster-dies-age-94
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2022, 03:37:59 am »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34338705/vin-scully-iconic-former-los-angeles-dodgers-broadcaster-dies-age-94

94 is a good run. Now he can do broadcasts in Heaven with all the greats.
RIP.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2022, 03:48:00 am »

One of Scully's most memorable calls was "The Catch" in the 1981 NFC Championship Game.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #484 on: August 07, 2022, 10:39:00 pm »
The Hollywood Reporter
Judith Durham, Lead Singer of The Seekers and Australia’s Folk Music Icon, Dies at 79
Associated Press - Yesterday 12:56 PM
Judith Durham, Australia’s folk music icon who achieved global fame as the lead singer of The Seekers, has died. She was 79.

Durham died in Alfred Hospital in Melbourne on Friday night after suffering complications from a long-standing lung disease, Universal Music Australia and Musicoast said in a statement on Saturday.

She made her first recording at 19 and rose to fame after joining The Seekers in 1963. The group of four became the first Australian band to achieve major chart and sales success in the U.K. and the United States, eventually selling 50 million records.

International hits included “The Carnival is Over,” “I’ll Never Find Another You,” “A World of Our Own” and “Georgy Girl.” ...
More
See also the article at Mark Steyn Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #485 on: August 07, 2022, 11:50:59 pm »
Can we please not go too far off track here? This is the obituaries thread.
Mea culpa! But in my defense Elvira is the mistress of the dark, you know dead things, cemeteries.......

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #486 on: August 08, 2022, 12:02:10 am »
The Hollywood Reporter
Judith Durham, Lead Singer of The Seekers and Australia’s Folk Music Icon, Dies at 79
Associated Press - Yesterday 12:56 PMMore
See also the article at Mark Steyn Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
The Seekers were always a favorite and are well represented on my Pandora playlist. RIP Judith.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #487 on: August 08, 2022, 12:14:07 am »
Beloved actor, director Roger E. Mosley has died, daughter announces

Roger Earl Mosley, best known for his role as the helicopter pilot Theodore "T.C." Calvin in the CBS series "Magnum, P.I.", has died.

Mosley's daughter, Ch-a, announced his death on Facebook. In a statement, she wrote:

"Roger E. Mosley, my father, your friend, your "coach Mosley" your "TC" from Magnum P.I., passed away at 1:17am. He was surrounded by family as he transcended peacefully. We could never mourn such an amazing man. He would HATE any crying done in his name. It is time to celebrate the legacy he left for us all. I love you daddy. You loved me too. My heart is heavy but I am strong. I will care for mommy, your love of almost 60 years. You raised me well and she is in good hands. Rest easy."

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/beloved-actor-director-roger-e-mosley-has-died-daughter-announces/

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #488 on: August 08, 2022, 12:27:09 am »
Beloved actor, director Roger E. Mosley has died, daughter announces

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/beloved-actor-director-roger-e-mosley-has-died-daughter-announces/
Can't say I really recall him from anything but Magnum but he really clicked as a member of the cast, I never knew he was married to Sandra Locke. One more to go and 83, once I would have said he lived a long life but I was  a lot younger and dumber then, at least I think I was dumber. RIP Sir!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #489 on: August 08, 2022, 12:46:00 am »
Man I loved TC and that helicopter.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #490 on: August 08, 2022, 01:04:40 am »
Mosley's daughter, Ch-a, announced his death on Facebook. In a statement, she wrote:

Who the HELL names their daughter "Ch-a"?

It's people like him who give drugs a bad name.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #491 on: August 08, 2022, 12:26:08 pm »
Janice Longone, chronicler of US culinary history, dies at 89

By Associated Press
August 8, 2022

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Janice Bluestein Longone, who is credited with collecting thousands of items chronicling the culinary history of the United States, including cookbooks, menus, advertisements and diaries, has died at age 89.

Longone died Wednesday, according to Nie Family Funeral Home in Ann Arbor. The cause and location of death weren’t announced.

Longone’s collection formed the Janice Bluestein Longone Culinary Archive at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where her husband, Daniel T. Longone, was a chemistry professor.

Longone said that she believed the collection showed how American agriculture and culinary practices defined regional customs and traditions. Her collection included cookbooks from the 1800s and early 1900s called “charity cookbooks” that were sold as fundraisers and immigrant cookbooks.

“Our hope is we have gathered materials that offer researchers access into a new way of looking at American history,” she said in a 2010 University of Michigan article. “That could be the rethinking of the role of women, who were publishing more than 150 years ago charity cookbooks, which often reflected the pressing issues of the day, or simply, the impact of refrigeration on American tastes and lifestyles.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/janice-longone-chronicler-of-us-culinary-history-dead-at-89/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #492 on: August 08, 2022, 01:49:55 pm »
Clu Gulager, ‘The Virginian’ and ‘The Last Picture Show’ actor, dead at 93

By Ben Cost
August 8, 2022

Clu Gulager, a multifaceted actor known for his roles in “The Virginian” and “The Last Picture Show,” has died of natural causes. He was 93.

The veteran thespian’s passing was confirmed on Facebook by his daughter-in-law, Diane Goldner, who said that Gulager died “surrounded by his loving family.”

“Clu was as caring as he was loyal and devoted to his craft, a proud member of the Cherokee nation, a rule-breaker, sharp and astute and on the side — always — of the oppressed,” the Saturday statement read. “He was good-humored, an avid reader, tender and kind. Loud and dangerous.”

Born William Martin Gulager in 1928, in Holdenville, Oklahoma, the actor racked up over 165 credits during his storied career of nearly seven decades. A mainstay of TV westerns, Gulager was perhaps best known on the small screen for his role in “The Virginian,” in which he played unflappable Deputy Sheriff Emmett Ryker. He entered the show in the third season in 1965, and appeared in more than 50 episodes before leaving in 1968, per the Hollywood Reporter.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/clu-gulager-virginian-and-last-picture-show-actor-dead/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #493 on: August 08, 2022, 06:30:43 pm »
David McCullough, Pulitzer-Prize Winning Author, Dies at 89

Writer brought American history to life in bestselling books

By Joseph Pisani
Aug. 8, 2022

David McCullough, the bestselling author whose biographies on Presidents Harry Truman and John Adams won Pulitzer Prizes, has died. He was 89.

His death was confirmed by his daughter Dorie Lawson, who said he died on Sunday. She didn’t know the cause of death.

Mr. McCullough was born in Pittsburgh, the son of a businessman and a homemaker. He learned to tell stories at his family’s dinner table, where he listened to his parents and grandmother telling tales about the world and history, he told The Wall Street Journal in 2015.

After graduating from Yale University in the 1950s, he put his English degree to work at magazines, including Sports Illustrated. His first book, “The Johnstown Flood,” was published in 1968. He wrote 12 books about presidents, the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and other topics.

Source:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-mccullough-pulitzer-prize-winning-author-dies-at-89-11659981037

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #494 on: August 08, 2022, 07:43:51 pm »
Breaking Olivia Newton John Dead at 73

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #495 on: August 08, 2022, 07:44:01 pm »
Published August 8, 2022 3:36pm EDT
Olivia Newton-John dead at 73
Olivia Newton John dead at 73.
By Tracy Wright | Fox News

Olivia Newton-John died "peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends," according to an Instagram post shared by her family. She was 73.

"We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time. Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer.

"Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the @onjfoundation.

"Olivia is survived by her husband John Easterling; daughter Chloe Lattanzi; sister Sarah Newton-John; brother Toby Newton-John; nieces and nephews Tottie, Fiona and Brett Goldsmith; Emerson, Charlie, Zac, Jeremy, Randall, and Pierz Newton-John; Jude Newton-Stock, Layla Lee; Kira and Tasha Edelstein; and Brin and Valerie Hall."

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/olivia-newton-john-dead-73
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #496 on: August 08, 2022, 07:45:08 pm »
[ 22chiefquote author=Gefn link=topic=457401.msg2688651#msg2688651 date=1659987831]
[/quote]

This one hurts

888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #497 on: August 08, 2022, 09:50:46 pm »

NOOOO
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #498 on: August 08, 2022, 09:53:14 pm »
Wow.  God is certainly taking a lot of people home this week.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #499 on: August 08, 2022, 10:01:54 pm »
David McCullough was such a capable chronicler of American history. I read several of his excellent books.

And Olivia Newton-John exhibited great strength in fighting cancer. The movie "Grease" brings back so many memories. Very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgtKmqpEbvg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:07:43 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org