Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 64688 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #825 on: December 31, 2022, 09:57:33 am »
Breaking
Former Pope Benedict XVI, the first to resign in centuries, dies aged 95

https://news.sky.com/story/former-pope-benedict-xvi-the-first-to-resign-in-centuries-dies-aged-95-12775606
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #826 on: December 31, 2022, 09:59:03 am »
Breaking

https://news.sky.com/story/former-pope-benedict-xvi-the-first-to-resign-in-centuries-dies-aged-95-12775606

Story just broke a minute ago - my phone started pinging and it woke me up. I’m sure the news wires will have a complete story soon. -

Offline verga

« Reply #827 on: December 31, 2022, 11:20:19 am »
Breaking

R.I.P. He had a tough act to follow. He was a tremendous intellect and while not as outgoing as JPII, was very personable and caring.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #828 on: December 31, 2022, 11:32:34 am »
Breaking- Barbara Waters has died at 93

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/barbara-walters-trailblazing-tv-icon-dies-93/story?id=41435083

@Gefn

Used her family connections to get started,and then blew her way to the top.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2022, 11:57:13 am »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #830 on: December 31, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
“Dear friends, may no adversity paralyze you. Be afraid neither of the world, nor of the future, nor of your weakness. The Lord has allowed you to live in this moment of history so that, by your faith, His name will continue to resound throughout the world.” - Pope Benedict XVI

“A dictatorship of relativism is being constituted that recognizes nothing as absolute and which only leaves the 'I' and its whims as the ultimate measure."  Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.

“We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary.” — Pope Benedict XVI

He seemed a very good man.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 06:30:40 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2022, 03:20:06 pm »
He seemed a very good man.

In contrast to Francis.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2022, 03:32:52 pm »
In contrast to Francis.
My thought, too, but as a non-Catholic I didn't want to overstep. More JPIIs and Benedict XVIs, perhaps, and fewer Pope Franks.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2022, 03:49:15 pm »
Not being Catholic I'm reticent to say anything but will do it anyway. I would humbly suggest that no more Jesuits be considered for elevation to Pope.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2022, 04:46:50 pm »
As a non-Roman Catholic I liked and respected John Paul and Benedict. Stood their ground and told it straight whether the woke crowd liked it or not.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2022, 06:30:49 pm »
Joan Lewis
@joansrome
·
6h
Funeral for Pope emeritus Benedict XVI is Thursday, January 5 at 9:30 am in St. Peter's Square with Pope Francis presiding. It will be solemn but, per Benedict's wish, simple and sober.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Former Pope Benedict XVI has died at the age of 95
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2022, 07:08:57 pm »
Former Pope Benedict XVI has died at the age of 95
The Post Millennial, Dec 31, 2022

Former Pope Benedict XVI, who was born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger, died on Saturday at the age of 95 in the Mater Ecclesia Monastery in the Vatican. Benedict had received the sacrament of the anointing of the sick on Wednesday.

The Associated Press reports, "Pope Francis will celebrate his funeral Mass in St. Peter’s Square on Thursday, an unprecedented event in which a current pope will celebrate the funeral of a former one."

Benedict was born in the German State of Bavaria in 1927. He was ordained a priest in that state in 1951. He was elected pope in 2005. Benedict was an extensive author whose books rebuked the dictatorship of relativism and reinforced the relationship with Christ as a central theological pillar.

Benedict was one of the few popes in history to resign from the position and his resignation was the first time a pope had resigned in nearly 600 years. Popes generally serve until their deaths but Benedict resigned on February 11, 2013 and cited his "advanced age."

Pope Benedict explained why he chose that name and said, "I wish to speak of the name I chose on becoming bishop of Rome and pastor of the universal Church. I chose to call myself Benedict XVI ideally as a link to the venerated Pontiff, Benedict XV, who guided the Church through the turbulent times of the First World War. He was a true and courageous prophet of peace who struggled strenuously and bravely, first to avoid the drama of war and then to limit its terrible consequences. In his footsteps I place my ministry, in the service of reconciliation and harmony between peoples, profoundly convinced that the great good of peace is above all a gift of God, a fragile and precious gift to be invoked, safeguarded and constructed, day after day and with everyone's contribution.

"The name Benedict also evokes the extraordinary figure of the great 'patriarch of western monasticism,' St. Benedict of Norcia, co-patron of Europe with Cyril and Methodius. The progressive expansion of the Benedictine Order which he founded exercised an enormous influence on the spread of Christianity throughout the European continent. For this reason, St. Benedict is much venerated in Germany, and especially in Bavaria, my own land of origin; he constitutes a fundamental point of reference for the unity of Europe and a powerful call to the irrefutable Christian roots of European culture and civilization."

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-former-pope-benedict-xvi-has-died-at-the-age-of-95?utm_campaign=64483

Re: Former Pope Benedict XVI has died at the age of 95
« Reply #837 on: December 31, 2022, 07:12:40 pm »
Yes, I know the there is an Obituary thread.  But, every now and again the passing of someone deserves more than a mention.

This is one of them.

« Reply #838 on: December 31, 2022, 07:16:49 pm »
Requiescat in pace.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #839 on: December 31, 2022, 07:55:48 pm »
To this day, nobody can ever explain to this former Altarboy, why Pope Benedict seceded the Papacy.

And to have the Kenyan Usurper here while Rome installs a self-proclaimed Communist as the head of The Church...?

There are no coincidences ...not on such a scale.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #840 on: December 31, 2022, 08:30:44 pm »

<snip>

Benedict’s pontificate — which began with his election in April of 2005, succeeding Pope St. John Paul II, and ended with his almost unprecedented resignation in February of 2013 — was peppered by a series of trials, including the clerical sex-abuse crisis, the leaking of confidential papal documents, a Muslim backlash and communication mishaps. At the same time, these years marked a period of liturgical restoration that aimed to reverse the abuses of the past, the initiation of a process of reform of the Curia, most notably in the area of finance, and a continuation of the central themes of the post-conciliar New Evangelization of the Church that had been emphasized throughout John Paul II’s groundbreaking 25-year pontificate.

With Joseph Ratzinger’s death, the Catholic Church loses one of the greatest minds in its 2,000-year history. A leading German theologian who took part in the Second Vatican Council, he rose to worldwide prominence after his 1981 appointment as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF). 

The role earned him the disparaging moniker “God’s Rottweiler” from the media for his uncompromising defense of Catholic teaching in the face of open dissent within the Church and growing indifference to the faith in Western society at large.

Those who knew Joseph Ratzinger well, however, regarded him as a gentle and modest man of the Church who was blessed with a scholarly encyclopedic mind and defended the truths of the faith with clarity and power.

“Pope Benedict was a prophet, unafraid to challenge the perils and emptiness rampant in a world that had thrown aside the Truth revealed by God and nature and capitulated to the worship of self,” Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York told the Register.

The pope emeritus was “capable of deeper theological reflection than his critics, who lack respect and are ideologically blinded,” Cardinal Gerhard Müller wrote in 2019, and was “able to get closer to the source of the fire that has set the Church’s roof ablaze.”

And Benedict summarized his mission with characteristic humility and concision.

“One has to make do with what time one has,” he observed in his retrospective 2016 book with Peter Seewald, Pope Benedict XVI, Last Testament: In His Own Words. “I was conscious that my task was of another kind: that I must try above all else to show what faith means in the contemporary world, and further, to highlight the centrality of faith in God, and give people the courage to have faith, courage to live concretely in the world with faith.”

Much more:  https://www.ncregister.com/news/benedict-rip

« Reply #841 on: December 31, 2022, 08:38:33 pm »
FTA----

Preparing for Final Judgment

In a separate letter responding to the Munich investigation that served as a profound and memorable coda for his ministry as a priest, archbishop and pontiff, the pope emeritus asked for the forgiveness of abuse survivors, noting that he had “borne great responsibility in the Catholic Church.”

Concluding his letter, Benedict looked toward his judgment before God.

“Quite soon, I shall find myself before the final judge of my life. Even though, as I look back on my long life, I can have great reason for fear and trembling, I am nonetheless of good cheer, for I trust firmly that the Lord is not only the just judge, but also the friend and brother who himself has already suffered for my shortcomings, and is thus also my advocate, my ‘Paraclete,’” he wrote.

“In light of the hour of judgment, the grace of being a Christian becomes all the more clear to me. It grants me knowledge, and indeed friendship, with the judge of my life, and thus allows me to pass confidently through the dark door of death.”

“In this regard,” he concluded, “I am constantly reminded of what John tells us at the beginning of the Apocalypse: he sees the Son of Man in all his grandeur and falls at his feet as though dead. Yet He, placing his right hand on him, says to him: ‘Do not be afraid! It is I …’”

Offline verga

« Reply #842 on: December 31, 2022, 10:21:03 pm »
My thought, too, but as a non-Catholic I didn't want to overstep. More JPIIs and Benedict XVIs, perhaps, and fewer Pope Franks.
As a revert Catholic I heartily endorse your sentiment.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #843 on: December 31, 2022, 10:31:48 pm »
In contrast to Francis.

@Cyber Liberty

Supposedly he slept with his cat every night. ❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #844 on: December 31, 2022, 10:34:58 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

Supposedly he slept with his cat every night. ❤️

Then he can't be evil!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #845 on: January 01, 2023, 06:19:43 am »
 :bkmk:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #846 on: January 01, 2023, 07:27:18 am »
Bookmarking...
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #847 on: January 01, 2023, 07:38:43 am »
 :pop41:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #848 on: January 01, 2023, 05:46:08 pm »
 :bkmk:
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #849 on: January 07, 2023, 03:01:25 pm »
Then he can't be evil!

@Cyber Liberty

Depends on what he was doing with the cat.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!