Author Topic: Despite supply issues and omicron, holiday sales rise 8.5%  (Read 258 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Despite supply issues and omicron, holiday sales rise 8.5%
« on: December 26, 2021, 08:14:40 pm »
Despite supply issues and omicron, holiday sales rise 8.5%

Holiday sales rose at the fastest pace in 17 years, even as shoppers grappled with higher prices, product shortages and a raging new COVID-19 variant in the last few weeks of the season, according to one spending measure.

Mastercard Spending Pulse, which tracks all kinds of payments including cash and debit cards, reported Sunday that holiday sales had risen 8.5% from a year earlier. Mastercard SpendingPulse had expected a 7.4% increase.

The results, which covered Nov. 1 through Dec. 24, were fueled by purchases of clothing and jewelry.

Holiday sales were up 10.7% compared with the pre-pandemic 2019 holiday period.

By category, clothing rose 47%, jewelry 32%, electronics 16%. Online sales were up 11% from a year ago and 61% from 2019. Department stores registered a 21% increase over 2020.

After omicron hit, some consumers stayed home and shifted their spending to e-commerce — but sales stayed strong. “I feel really good about how the season played out,” said Steve Sadove, senior adviser to Mastercard and former CEO of Saks Inc. “When people feel a little bit uncomfortable, you’ll see a little bit of a pickup in online and a little bit of a slowdown in store performance.’’

A broader picture will be revealed next month when the National Retail Federation, the nation’s largest retail trade group, comes out with its combined two-month results in mid-January. The results will be based on an analysis of the November and December sales figures from the Commerce Department. Analysts will also be dissecting the fourth-quarter financial results from different retailers that are slated to be released in February..............

https://www.winknews.com/2021/12/26/despite-supply-issues-and-omicron-holiday-sales-rise-8-5/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Despite supply issues and omicron, holiday sales rise 8.5%
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 07:31:59 pm »
Was the measured rise in sales adjusted for inflation, or not?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 07:37:47 pm »

That was the question in the back of my mind.  This is just a comparison to last year and I assume sales were down last year because of the pandemic. Now we have an increase in prices which may likely account for the boost in sales.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 07:38:59 pm »

That was the question in the back of my mind.  This is just a comparison to last year and I assume sales were down last year because of the pandemic. Now we have an increase in prices which may likely account for the boost in sales.

Exactly.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 07:54:22 pm »
Propagandists NEVER adjust for inflation.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 08:11:01 pm »
We spent more because things cost more.  That would also imply that local and state sales tax revenues were up.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:43:42 pm »
We spent more because things cost more.  That would also imply that local and state sales tax revenues were up.
Revenues and Profits are both up thanks to imbecile Biden. But it is meaningless because it is fake inflation money. They may make more 'numbers', but they do not make more actual purchase money.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.