Author Topic: McConnell: Manchin Welcome in the GOP; Possible He’d Keep Energy Chairmanship  (Read 295 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Manchin Welcome in the GOP; Possible He’d Keep Energy Chairmanship

Trent Baker 22 Dec 2021

On Wednesday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) sounded off on Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) reportedly thinking about leaving the Democratic Party.

The White House slammed Manchin as disloyal to the party after the senator rejected President Joe Biden’s Build Back Better agenda.

McConnell told “The Hugh Hewitt Show” that if Manchin were to join the GOP, he would find “a lot of folks who have similar views on a whole range of issues.” He added it was possible Manchin would get to keep his chairmanship of the Energy Committee if he made the move.

“[W]hat the White House did to Joe Manchin the other day, basically calling him a liar, it was astonishing,” McConnell declared. “Usually, when you’ve got a member a little bit out of sync with everybody else, you give him a lot of love. They did exactly the opposite.

Host Hugh Hewitt asked, “Have you spoken with him or written to him about whether or not he might want to cross the aisle like Winston Churchill and Jim Jeffords did?”

“Well, you know, as I’ve said the last couple of days, I’ve had this conversation with him off and on for a couple of years,” McConnell replied. “We come from states that have a lot in common, that have become increasingly red over the last decade or so. And I think what Manchin is discovering is that there just aren’t any Democrats left in the Senate that are pro-life and terribly concerned about debt and deficit and inflation. So he feels like a man alone. If he were to join us, he’d be joining a lot of folks who have similar views on a whole range of issues.”

“[W]ould he get to keep his chairmanship of Energy? Energy is a big deal for West Virginia. He’s chairman right now. If he switched over, would the gavel stay in his hands?” Hewitt asked.

“That’s something we’d talk to him about. Obviously, he, I’m sure, enjoys being chair of the committee. It’s important to West Virginia. And all of those things are things we’ve discussed,” McConnell advised.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/12/22/mcconnell-manchin-welcome-in-the-gop-possible-hed-keep-energy-chairmanship/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
...because the Senate GOP doesn't have enough Romneys and Murkowskies.   *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

...because the Senate GOP doesn't have enough Romneys and Murkowskies.   *****rollingeyes*****

Agreed. Let him switch to Independent or stay a DEM.  McConnell needs to know when to keep his mouth shut and this is one of those times.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Exactly. Not sure how this would be any help. Cocaine Mitch would just capitulate anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bele wrote:
"Let him switch to Independent or stay a DEM.  McConnell needs to know when to keep his mouth shut and this is one of those times."

A lot of folks in this forum refuse to understand "realpolitik", and why it's the most powerful "politics" of all.

Consider what happens if Manchin were to switch parties:
He would be nothing more than a RINO, of course.
(how many folks here remember when the owner of this forum pointedly requested that members NOT use "that term"? I do.)

BUT... RINO or not... in a flash, the dem-communists would be down to 49 Senate votes.
So long as the Pubbies held it together, impossible for the dem-coms to pass legislation or end the filibuster, stack The Court, change the voting laws, etc.
kamala sutra's ability to "break the tie" would be rendered all-but moot.

Manchin's defection would put a stake through the biden regime and all those behind it for the rest of 2022, which hopefully will be all the time the Republicans need.

This assumes they won't try to oppose the re-emergence of Mr. Trump as the driving force that will propel them from an electoral victory in 2022 to a complete electoral triumph when Mr. Trump again wins re-election in 2024, becoming the second president in history to win two non-concurrent terms.

If the dem-coms continue to denigrate and attack Manchin, we should welcome him, not turn him away.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think a good solution for a short-term problem (50-50 + Kameltoe) would be for Manchin to declare Independent, and Caucus with the Republicans.  It would instantly overturn the Senate to the GOP putting McConnell in charge, yet not necessarily sticking us with someone who thinks like a Rat.

Don't like the Turtle, but I like Schumer even less.

Win-win.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Killer Clouds

bele wrote:
"Let him switch to Independent or stay a DEM.  McConnell needs to know when to keep his mouth shut and this is one of those times."

A lot of folks in this forum refuse to understand "realpolitik", and why it's the most powerful "politics" of all.

(how many folks here remember when the owner of this forum pointedly requested that members NOT use "that term"? I do.)

BUT... RINO or not... in a flash, the dem-communists would be down to 49 Senate votes.
So long as the Pubbies held it together, impossible for the dem-coms to pass legislation or end the filibuster, stack The Court, change the voting laws, etc.

Manchin's defection would put a stake through the biden regime and all those behind it for the rest of 2022, which hopefully will be all the time the Republicans need.

This assumes they won't try to oppose the re-emergence of Mr. Trump as the driving force that will propel them from an electoral victory in 2022 to a complete electoral triumph when Mr. Trump again wins re-election in 2024, becoming the second president in history to win two non-concurrent terms.

If the dem-coms continue to denigrate and attack Manchin, we should welcome him, not turn him away.
I understand what you're saying BUT if he did switch it wouldn't mean anything. It obviously doesn't mean anything now. I'm still not going to believe Manchin won't flip at some point. Another point is what Manchin is doing right now is correct no matter what party he's in. He's listening to and representing his constituents.

Offline libertybele

bele wrote:

???? As long as the Pubbies held it together....seriously? More often than not they don't. And of course there would be nothing stopping Manchin from voting along DEM lines if he switches parties.  The GOP doesn't need another RINO period.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

The switch would be consequential in that fewer of Biden's nominees would make it to the court, and AOC's radical bills would not make it to the floor.  There is also a decent chance the Republicans would hold the senate (by a whisker) until the next trojan horse Democrat beats Trump in 2024.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Stay where you are, Joe, and keep doing what you're doing.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

???? As long as the Pubbies held it together....seriously? More often than not they don't. And of course there would be nothing stopping Manchin from voting along DEM lines if he switches parties.  The GOP doesn't need another RINO period.

Agree!   :thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.