Author Topic: The fewer and the prouder: The hard truth looking up  (Read 72 times)

rangerrebew

The fewer and the prouder: The hard truth looking up
« on: December 23, 2021, 01:05:25 pm »
The fewer and the prouder: The hard truth looking up

2 Dec 2021 | Cpl. Karis Mattingly Marine Corps Installations Pacific

The fewer and the prouder. A revolutionary phrase to paint a picture of the resilience and fortitude female Marines have held close since the day Opha May Johnson raised her hand and enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1918.

What comes to mind when someone says U.S. infantry Marine? Perhaps the thought of, ‘those guys are strong and rugged’ or ‘that’s a man who’s willing to endure the difficult path.’ What if instead someone said a U.S. Marine Infantrywoman. Yes, read it over once more. It’s new and almost unfamiliar, but it’s also exhilarating and powerful.

“I want to be real, open and honest because it is tough,” said Lance Cpl. Claudia Murphy a native from St. Albans, Vermont. “At the beginning, it was like I was watching a movie of my life from the outside in.”

Murphy, the first female mortarman in Battalion Landing Team 3/5, is just one of the now numerous women who have enlisted and joined the infantry community, actively redefining the accustomed Marine in the infantry ranks.

https://www.marines.mil/News/News-Display/Article/2859340/the-fewer-and-the-prouder-the-hard-truth-looking-up/