Author Topic: White House extends federal student loan repayment pause after heavy progressive criticism  (Read 109 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House extends federal student loan repayment pause after heavy progressive criticism
Progressives like Rep. Ayanna Pressley warned that millions of families could be hurt financially

By Brooke Singman FOXBusiness

The Biden administration will extend the pause on federal student loan repayments through May 2022 — just weeks before the moratorium was set to expire — amid pressure from progressive Democrats.

The Department of Education paused federal student loan payments in March 2020 at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic and set the interest rates to 0% during the pause. Federal borrowers were scheduled to resume payments on Feb. 1, 2022.

Biden, on his first day in office, directed the Department of Education to pause federal student loan repayments through September 2021. In August, the Biden administration extended the pause through the end of next month.

"Today, my Administration is extending the pause on federal student loan repayments for an additional 90 days — through May 1, 2022 — as we manage the ongoing pandemic and further strengthen our economic recovery," Biden said in a statement, noting that the Department of Education will "continue working with borrowers to ensure they have the support they need to transition smoothly back into repayment and advance economic stability for their own households and for our nation."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-extends-federal-student-loan-repayment-pause-after-heavy-progressive-criticism
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Where's my pause on paying my mortgage, my local property tax, local autoexcise tax, state income tax, Federal income tax, Federal Social Security tax, Federal Medicare Tax, state sales tax, local sales tax, state meals tax, local meals tax, Federal gas tax, state gas tax, Universal Connectivity Fee (Al Gore's Internet Tax)?

Hello, 9-1-1, I just got mugged by the Government, again.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

And, to the extent that these are direct subsidized loans, if the default is permanent, the taxpayers, not any private lender, will be eating the loss.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Most of these loans are never going to be paid back.

If the government doesn't excuse them outright, eventually existing laws may be changed so that the unpaid loans can be discharged through ordinary bankruptcy proceedings (my understanding is that they CANNOT be done so as the law exists now)...