Author Topic: James Webb Space Telescope Status Live Thread  (Read 8628 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: James Webb Space Telescope Status Live Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2022, 12:16:49 pm »
Behold! NASA releases stunning new Webb image of an unexpected star

INVERSE 3/16/2022

Happily homed in deep space, the James Webb Space Telescope has finally finished a critical stage: The telescope’s 21-foot-wide primary mirror is now fully aligned. And it has beamed down its first fully focused image to celebrate the milestone.

Although the subject of the image is a rather ordinary star called 2MASS J17554042+6551277, the image itself is anything but.

“Even though there are weeks and months ahead to really fully unleash the power of this new observatory, today we can announce that the optics will perform to specifications or even better,” gushes Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate. Zurbuchen’s remarks came during a press conference on Wednesday, March 15.

“This is one of the most magnificent days in my whole career at NASA,” he adds.

The Webb Telescope is engineered to detect light outside of the visible range — in infrared. Doing so allows it to produce images of the faintest and most distant objects in the universe. The $10 billion telescope is fitted with a 21-foot-wide, 4-inch-thick tiled mirror made up of 18 beryllium panels that are themselves coated in gold. Together, the 18 panels act as one large mirror.

NASA reveals that on March 11 those mirror segments aligned in space for the first time (almost), following a months-long process. The milestone gives hope to the mission team on the ground that Webb’s optical performance will meet their goals. This feat is only possible now because when you design a mirror this big, it has to fold up to fit in a rocket to get it into space.

After its mirror alignment was complete, Webb snapped a stunningly sharp image of a star — 2MASS J17554042+6551277. The star is a switch in target for the Webb: Previously, it used HD 84406, a star in the Ursa Major constellation, to focus its mirrors and align them as a unit.

A red filter amps up the visual contrast:

“It’s sort of just a generic average star in our in our galaxy,” Marshall Perrin, an astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute, says at the press conference.

“This star is one of many stars we use throughout the commissioning process of Webb... they’re generally picked not because they’re special stars, but because they’re the right brightness in the right parts of the sky for our engineering tests.”

The Webb Telescope observes the cosmos in wavelengths beyond that which the human eye can see. The Webb’s infrared capabilities will help it stare right through opaque areas of space, capturing the universe in wavelengths that would not be possible to capture from Earth.

Webb’s optical sensitivity reveals not only the star in focus but also shows distant galaxies and other stars as faint objects in the background.

The image is also a major upgrade from Webb’s first go at photography.

More: https://www.inverse.com/science/nasa-webb-telescope-star-images

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2022, 05:22:42 am »
Behold! NASA releases stunning new Webb image of an unexpected star

INVERSE 3/16/2022

Happily homed in deep space, the James Webb Space Telescope has finally finished a critical stage: The telescope’s 21-foot-wide primary mirror is now fully aligned. And it has beamed down its first fully focused image to celebrate the milestone.

Although the subject of the image is a rather ordinary star called 2MASS J17554042+6551277, the image itself is anything but.

“Even though there are weeks and months ahead to really fully unleash the power of this new observatory, today we can announce that the optics will perform to specifications or even better,” gushes Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate. Zurbuchen’s remarks came during a press conference on Wednesday, March 15.

“This is one of the most magnificent days in my whole career at NASA,” he adds.

The Webb Telescope is engineered to detect light outside of the visible range — in infrared. Doing so allows it to produce images of the faintest and most distant objects in the universe. The $10 billion telescope is fitted with a 21-foot-wide, 4-inch-thick tiled mirror made up of 18 beryllium panels that are themselves coated in gold. Together, the 18 panels act as one large mirror.

NASA reveals that on March 11 those mirror segments aligned in space for the first time (almost), following a months-long process. The milestone gives hope to the mission team on the ground that Webb’s optical performance will meet their goals. This feat is only possible now because when you design a mirror this big, it has to fold up to fit in a rocket to get it into space.

After its mirror alignment was complete, Webb snapped a stunningly sharp image of a star — 2MASS J17554042+6551277. The star is a switch in target for the Webb: Previously, it used HD 84406, a star in the Ursa Major constellation, to focus its mirrors and align them as a unit.

A red filter amps up the visual contrast:

“It’s sort of just a generic average star in our in our galaxy,” Marshall Perrin, an astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute, says at the press conference.

“This star is one of many stars we use throughout the commissioning process of Webb... they’re generally picked not because they’re special stars, but because they’re the right brightness in the right parts of the sky for our engineering tests.”

The Webb Telescope observes the cosmos in wavelengths beyond that which the human eye can see. The Webb’s infrared capabilities will help it stare right through opaque areas of space, capturing the universe in wavelengths that would not be possible to capture from Earth.

Webb’s optical sensitivity reveals not only the star in focus but also shows distant galaxies and other stars as faint objects in the background.

The image is also a major upgrade from Webb’s first go at photography.

More: https://www.inverse.com/science/nasa-webb-telescope-star-images
What is really neat about that image is that a significant number of the objects in the background appear to be galaxies, not just stars. It's humbling when you consider the scale of our universe.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2022, 12:57:45 pm »
What is really neat about that image is that a significant number of the objects in the background appear to be galaxies, not just stars. It's humbling when you consider the scale of our universe.

@Smokin Joe

I'm waiting for someone to show me photos and explain to me what is on the OTHER side of our universe.

EVERYTHING has a beginning and an end,right? Which means there MUST be something on the other side,or it would all just fly apart.

I might be waiting a while.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2022, 01:10:14 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I'm waiting for someone to show me photos and explain to me what is on the OTHER side of our universe.

EVERYTHING has a beginning and an end,right? Which means there MUST be something on the other side,or it would all just fly apart.

Other side?

It might be an infinitie amount of other universes'

OTOH, we might get a view of Old man with a white beard shaking his fist at us, yelling "Repent".!!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2022, 01:15:03 pm »
@Smokin Joe

It could curve around on itself, and so not really have a beginning or an end.

If one is a two dimensional creature on the surface of a three dimensional sphere, one's "universe" is the surface of that sphere, which has neither beginning nor end, but which is finite and can be traversed (even if it takes a really, really long time).

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2022, 02:46:21 pm »
@Smokin Joe

If space bends, we might be looking at our own backsides...just billions of years ago (transit time for the light).

One of the implications of FTL travel ignored by all the movies, is the time dilation/relativity effects of going hundreds or thousands of light years rapidly. While you were buzzing across the universe at faster than light speeds for a few days, eons would pass where you left. When you went back, all the people you'd known would be long gone, governments would have changed, planets might no longer exist.. You would truly be committed to your ship and ship's company.
Of course, if you were careless on liberty, the back child support (with interest) could be worth as much as your ship...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2022, 05:30:04 pm »
It could curve around on itself, and so not really have a beginning or an end.

@Kamaji

Nope! That might be the ILLUSION,but everything has  beginning and an end.

If one is a two dimensional creature on the surface of a three dimensional sphere, one's "universe" is the surface of that sphere, which has neither beginning nor end, but which is finite and can be traversed (even if it takes a really, really long time).

I agree with the word "seems" and freely admit the only possible true answer not only makes my head hurt to think about,but scares the hell out of me. What else can the impossible do when it seems like it MIGHT be possible?

You or I can be wrong,but reality  cares nothing about what we think. It just is what it is.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2022, 05:33:21 pm »
@Kamaji

Nope! That might be the ILLUSION,but everything has  beginning and an end.

I agree with the word "seems" and freely admit the only possible true answer not only makes my head hurt to think about,but scares the hell out of me. What else can the impossible do when it seems like it MIGHT be possible?

You or I can be wrong,but reality  cares nothing about what we think. It just is what it is.

So, where is the beginning of the surface of a sphere?  Not above it or below it, but within the surface itself?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2022, 05:33:54 pm »
If space bends, we might be looking at our own backsides...just billions of years ago (transit time for the light).

@Smokin Joe

That may be,and I suspect possibly is,true,but it doesn't mean nothing exists beyond it. How COULD it?

One of the implications of FTL travel ignored by all the movies, is the time dilation/relativity effects of going hundreds or thousands of light years rapidly. While you were buzzing across the universe at faster than light speeds for a few days, eons would pass where you left. When you went back, all the people you'd known would be long gone, governments would have changed, planets might no longer exist.. You would truly be committed to your ship and ship's company.

Once again,I may be wrong,but IIRC,which is always open to question these days,Issac Asimov wrote a novel based on that concept years ago. Can't even guess at the title at this late date.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2022, 05:54:30 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Once again,I may be wrong,but IIRC,which is always open to question these days,Issac Asimov wrote a novel based on that concept years ago. Can't even guess at the title at this late date.
He may have. I have read so much Science Fiction over the years and seen so many movies, there are few movies or books that even approach a fresh idea.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2022, 05:57:06 pm »
Looking at that photo, I can remember similar Hubble shots with maybe the same field angle, and maybe a few dozen galaxies come into view.  Look at that shot.....   There's got to be 100's there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2022, 05:58:32 pm »
Looking at that photo, I can remember similar Hubble shots with maybe the same field angle, and maybe a few dozen galaxies come into view.  Look at that shot.....   There's got to be 100's there.
Yeah...

Neat. ..and like I said, humbling.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2022, 01:56:54 am »
Three of James Webb’s four instruments are now aligned

Digital Trends By Georgina Torbet 4/2/2022

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/james-webb-multi-instrument-alignment/

The long process of getting the James Webb Space Telescope ready to begin collecting science data continues, and the Webb team has met another goal with the alignment of three out of its four instruments. The alignment process is a set of careful very small adjustments to each instrument to make sure they are in exactly the right location to receive light from the telescope’s large primary mirror. A few weeks ago the telescope’s mirrors were aligned with its main camera, called NIRCam, and now the telescope’s other instruments are being similarly adjusted.

Webb’s three near-infrared instruments (the Near-Infrared Slitless Spectrograph or NIRISS, the Near-Infrared Spectrometer or NIRSpec, and the Near-Infrared Camera or NIRCam) and its guidance sensor (the Fine Guidance Sensor or FGS) are now all aligned to its mirrors, leaving just the one mid-infrared instrument to go. The mid-infrared instrument (MIRI) takes longer to align because it uses a different type of sensor, which have to be cooled to an extremely low temperature of just 7 degrees kelvin. MIRI is still in the process of being cooled down to its operating temperature, and once it reaches this milestone then it too can be aligned.

The team had planned to make adjustments to the telescope’s secondary mirror — a smaller round mirror on the end of a boom arm — during the alignment process for the first three instruments, called phase six. However, it turned out that their alignments were so accurate that this wasn’t necessary, so they will wait until MIRI is fully cooled before making any final tweaks to the secondary mirror, in phase seven.

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2022, 12:01:17 pm »
Webb Telescope’s Coldest Instrument Reaches Operating Temperature

NASA 4/13/2022

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/webb-telescope-s-coldest-instrument-reaches-operating-temperature

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope will see the first galaxies to form after the big bang, but to do that its instruments first need to get cold – really cold. On April 7, Webb’s Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) – a joint development by NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) – reached its final operating temperature below 7 kelvins (minus 447 degrees Fahrenheit, or minus 266 degrees Celsius).

Along with Webb’s three other instruments, MIRI initially cooled off in the shade of Webb’s tennis-court-size sunshield, dropping to about 90 kelvins (minus 298 F, or minus 183 C). But dropping to less than 7 kelvins required an electrically powered cryocooler. Last week, the team passed a particularly challenging milestone called the “pinch point,” when the instrument goes from 15 kelvins (minus 433 F, or minus 258 C) to 6.4 kelvins (minus 448 F, or minus 267 C).

“The MIRI cooler team has poured a lot of hard work into developing the procedure for the pinch point,” said Analyn Schneider, project manager for MIRI at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. “The team was both excited and nervous going into the critical activity. In the end it was a textbook execution of the procedure, and the cooler performance is even better than expected.”

The low temperature is necessary because all four of Webb’s instruments detect infrared light – wavelengths slightly longer than those that human eyes can see. Distant galaxies, stars hidden in cocoons of dust, and planets outside our solar system all emit infrared light. But so do other warm objects, including Webb’s own electronics and optics hardware. Cooling down the four instruments’ detectors and the surrounding hardware suppresses those infrared emissions. MIRI detects longer infrared wavelengths than the other three instruments, which means it needs to be even colder.

Another reason Webb’s detectors need to be cold is to suppress something called dark current, or electric current created by the vibration of atoms in the detectors themselves. Dark current mimics a true signal in the detectors, giving the false impression that they have been hit by light from an external source. Those false signals can drown out the real signals astronomers want to find. Since temperature is a measurement of how fast the atoms in the detector are vibrating, reducing the temperature means less vibration, which in turn means less dark current.

MIRI’s ability to detect longer infrared wavelengths also makes it more sensitive to dark current, so it needs to be colder than the other instruments to fully remove that effect. For every degree the instrument temperature goes up, the dark current goes up by a factor of about 10.

Once MIRI reached a frigid 6.4 kelvins, scientists began a series of checks to make sure the detectors were operating as expected. Like a doctor searching for any sign of illness, the MIRI team looks at data describing the instrument’s health, then gives the instrument a series of commands to see if it can execute tasks correctly. This milestone is the culmination of work by scientists and engineers at multiple institutions in addition to JPL, including Northrop Grumman, which built the cryocooler, and NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, which oversaw the integration of MIRI and the cooler to the rest of the observatory.

“We spent years practicing for that moment, running through the commands and the checks that we did on MIRI,” said Mike Ressler, project scientist for MIRI at JPL. “It was kind of like a movie script: Everything we were supposed to do was written down and rehearsed. When the test data rolled in, I was ecstatic to see it looked exactly as expected and that we have a healthy instrument.”

There are still more challenges that the team will have to face before MIRI can start its scientific mission. Now that the instrument is at operating temperature, team members will take test images of stars and other known objects that can be used for calibration and to check the instrument’s operations and functionality. The team will conduct these preparations alongside calibration of the other three instruments, delivering Webb’s first science images this summer.

“I am immensely proud to be part of this group of highly motivated, enthusiastic scientists and engineers drawn from across Europe and the U.S.,” said Alistair Glasse, MIRI instrument scientist at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (ATC) in Edinburgh, Scotland. “This period is our ‘trial by fire’ but it is already clear to me that the personal bonds and mutual respect that we have built up over the past years is what will get us through the next few months to deliver a fantastic instrument to the worldwide astronomy community.” 

More About the Mission

The James Webb Space Telescope is an international program led by NASA with its partners, ESA and the Canadian Space Agency.

MIRI was developed through a 50-50 partnership between NASA and ESA. JPL leads the U.S. efforts for MIRI, and a multinational consortium of European astronomical institutes contributes for ESA. George Rieke with the University of Arizona is the MIRI science team lead. Gillian Wright is the MIRI European principal investigator.

Laszlo Tamas with UK ATC manages the European Consortium. The MIRI cryocooler development was led and managed by JPL, in collaboration with Northrop Grumman in Redondo Beach, California, and NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

For more information about the Webb mission, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/webb

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2022, 12:07:54 pm »
Can't wait for the first full pix!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2022, 03:46:01 pm »
I am in total awe of both this project,and the men and women who conceived of it and brought it to "life".

I feel better just knowing there are men and women out there smart enough to do this,and willing to spend years of their lives working hard at doing so with no recognition for their genius and dedication other than a paycheck.

Even now,when the plan and deed is virtually complete,the individuals are still anonymous citizens/government employees.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2022, 01:32:36 pm »
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope completely aligned and fully focused

New Atlas by Nick Lavars 5/1/2022

https://newatlas.com/space/nasas-james-webb-space-telescope-mirrors-aligned-fully-focused/

The James Webb Space Telescope's onboard instruments are now aligned and capable of capturing in-focus images

Scientists working on NASA's James Webb Telescope have reached an important milestone, completely aligning the space observatory's massive mirrors. The achievement means the team can now move ahead with configuring the onboard instruments and prepare them to begin capturing sharp and in-focus images of the cosmos.

Back in January, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) finished deploying its set of 18 mirrors, which it will use to direct light from cosmic objects onto its instruments to capture images. But to do so, the mirrors had to be precisely aligned over a three-month period in order to focus that light correctly.

In March, the mirrors were brought into alignment with the telescope's primary imaging instrument, the Near-Infrared Camera, enabling it to focus and snap a crystal-clear image of a bright star. The team then continued aligning the mirrors with the JWST's remaining instruments, the Near-Infrared Spectrograph, Mid-Infrared Instrument, and Near Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph – a task that is now complete.

The video below provides an overview of the achievement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAx-D0GCvnI&feature=emb_imp_woyt

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2022, 03:03:04 pm »
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope completely aligned and fully focused

New Atlas by Nick Lavars 5/1/2022

https://newatlas.com/space/nasas-james-webb-space-telescope-mirrors-aligned-fully-focused/

So, has the orchestra finished warming up now?  Sorry if I'm impatient, but with everything sh*tty that's going on in the world, I really want to get blown away by pics of stuff that is, literally, out of this world.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2022, 03:08:33 pm »

So, has the orchestra finished warming up now?  Sorry if I'm impatient, but with everything sh*tty that's going on in the world, I really want to get blown away by pics of stuff that is, literally, out of this world.

:thumbsup:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2022, 10:21:10 pm »
Any more news on the telescope?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2022, 10:58:40 pm »
James Webb telescope reaches 'perfect' alignment ahead of debut science images

Live Science  By Brandon Specktor 5/10/2022

The telescope's first science images drop in July.

https://www.livescience.com/james-webb-telescope-perfectly-aligned

The Large Magellanic Cloud, as seen by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope (left) and the new James Webb Space Telescope (right).
(Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech (left), NASA/ESA/CSA/STScI (right))

All four science instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope have achieved "perfect alignment" in advance of the telescope's official debut this summer, project officials said in a news teleconference on Monday (May 9).

"I'm delighted to report that the telescope alignment has been completed with performance even better than we had anticipated," Michael McElwain, James Webb Space Telescope project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland said, according to CBS News. "We basically reached a perfect telescope alignment. There's no adjustment to the telescope optics that would make material improvements to our science performance."

To illustrate the telescope's readiness, NASA shared a teaser image taken by Webb's Mid-Infrared Instrument, or MIRI. The new image shows a side-by-side comparison of observations of a nearby galaxy taken by Webb, versus observations of the same galaxy taken previously by NASA's now-retired Spitzer Space Telescope.

More at link.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2022, 11:26:52 pm »
James Webb telescope reaches 'perfect' alignment ahead of debut science images

Live Science  By Brandon Specktor 5/10/2022

The telescope's first science images drop in July.

https://www.livescience.com/james-webb-telescope-perfectly-aligned

Wow,  Just wow.  Thanks @Elderberry

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2022, 01:02:46 pm »
This Super-Earth is the first target of James Webb Telescope. Here a year is just 18-hrs-long

India Today by Sibu Kumar Tripathi 5/27/2022

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/story/this-super-earth-is-the-first-target-of-james-webb-telescope-here-a-year-is-just-18-hrs-long-1954807-2022-05-27

What would happen if Earth was much closer to the Sun, so close that a year on the planet would just be 18 hours long? The humanity that we know would not exist, but what will be the conditions on such a planet as it evolves. The James Webb Telescope will soon find out.

Cooled, calibrated, and waiting to open eyes nearly 1,50,000 kilometers away from Earth, the James Webb Telescope has its first assignment. Observe 55 Cancri e, a super-hot, super-Earth that goes around its Sun in just 18 hours, and the airless planet LHS 3844 b.

The Webb team will soon train its high-precision spectrographs on these planets with a view to understanding the geologic diversity of planets across the galaxy, and the evolution of rocky planets like Earth. While planets like these do not exist in our own solar system, these rocky, roughly Earth-sized, extremely hot, and close to their stars—are not uncommon in the Milky Way galaxy.

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:16 am »
A Micrometeoroid Was No Match For the Resilient James Webb Space Telescope

Popular Mechanics  By Tim Newcomb Jun 9, 2022

One segment of the 21-foot-wide mirror suffered damage, but the mission goes on.

•   A micrometeoroid strike on the James Webb Space Telescope in May skewed alignment of a gold-plated mirror segment, but won’t jeopardize its mission.

•   The Webb telescope is about one million miles from Earth, and is expected to share its first full-color images in July.

•   The $10 billion telescope launched in 2021, and is expected to last 20 years.

NASA planned for dust particles striking the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope, running computer simulations and live testing on sample mirror pieces before launching it in December 2021. But the agency couldn’t test for what happened in late May, when a “micrometeoroid” struck the outer ring of the telescope’s 21-foot-wide mirror, knocking one of the 18 segments out of alignment and causing a distortion of its data.

The mission will go on as planned, though, with engineers hoping to continue adjusting the mirror position for a “partial correction” of the impact. NASA warns the data will be affected, and it can’t just correct it all away, even if the agency doesn’t plan a change to the space telescope’s operational schedule.

Expect the first images from Webb in July, as the telescope then turns toward the atmospheres of distant planets and stars.

“We always knew that Webb would have to weather the space environment, which includes harsh ultraviolet light and charged particles from the Sun, cosmic rays from exotic sources in the galaxy, and occasional strikes by micrometeoroids within our solar system,” Paul Geithner, technical deputy project manager at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, says in a June 8 news release. “We designed and built Webb with performance margin—optical, thermal, electrical, mechanical—to ensure it can perform its ambitious science mission even after many years in space.”

More: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/telescopes/a40241809/micrometeoroid-strikes-james-webb-space-telescope-mirror/

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2022, 02:27:52 am »
I’m so looking forward to seeing photos from this thing……
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️