Author Topic: Report: Republican Sen. John Thune Weighs Retirement  (Read 117 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Republican Sen. John Thune Weighs Retirement
« on: December 22, 2021, 06:38:00 pm »
Report: Republican Sen. John Thune Weighs Retirement

Jacob Bliss 22 Dec 2021

Senate Republican Whip Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the second-ranking Republican and likely successor to Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), is considering standing down.

Thune has debated giving up his Senate seat due to a combination of “family concerns,” and the “grip” former President Donald Trump has on the party, according to a report from the New York Times. Thune is up for reelection next year and has reportedly been telling “associates and reporters in his home state that 2022 could be his last year in Congress.”

The senator said he would figure out his intentions over the holidays, but many friends and Senate colleagues believe he is serious about retiring. The Times said his decision has “set off an intensifying private campaign from other Republicans urging him to seek re-election.” Senators trying to convince him to stay: Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME), Kevin Cramer (R-ND), and McConnell.

“I certainly hope that he will run for re-election, and that’s certainly what I and others have been encouraging him to do all year long,” Mr. McConnell said in an interview.

Cramer, who has known Thune since they were both executive directors of their respective state parties, said, “I let him know how much I appreciate him… He knows both Dakotas really need him.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/12/22/report-republican-sen-john-thune-weighs-retirement/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Report: Republican Sen. John Thune Weighs Retirement
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 06:40:16 pm »
Bloody heck; can't he at least stay for this next election?