Author Topic: Why do we hang Christmas stockings? The history of the holiday tradition  (Read 610 times)

Offline libertybele

Why do we hang Christmas stockings? The history of the holiday tradition

It’s the holiday season, which means it’s time to hang Christmas stockings.

But where exactly does the holiday tradition come from? According to History.com, hanging stockings comes from a legend about Saint Nicholas.

In that legend, Saint Nicholas gave three poor sisters gold coins and dropped the coins down the chimney. One of the coins went into a pair of shoes that were left on the hearth, while another coin went into a pair of socks that were hanging by the fire to dry, the site states.

Because of that legend, on Christmas Eve, children in Scandinavia leave their shoes on the hearth, while children in the U.S. and the U.K. leave their stockings on their bedpost or near the fireplace in the hopes that the stockings and shoes will be filled with treats, History.com reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/why-hang-christmas-stockings
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Why do we hang Christmas stockings? The history of the holiday tradition
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 10:20:27 pm »
So that somebody will put goodies in 'em for us!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:41 pm »
A Visit from St. Nicholas
By Clement Clarke Moore

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,
With a little old driver so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.........

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43171/a-visit-from-st-nicholas
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:30:43 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 02:51:51 pm »
I am amazed at present-day advertising for "stocking stuffers," which always seem to be very high-priced trinkets. As children, our stockings got the same treats my parents - who were young children when the Great Depression started - got, namely, an orange, some walnuts, and a few treats like that. Understanding what it was like for their families during that era helped make me less enamored of acquiring and accumulating things, I believe. I'm satisfied not to have high-priced trinkets, in other words. 

In this house, we don't have a fireplace, anyway, just a woodburning stove. No place to hang stockings.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 05:19:23 pm »
I am amazed at present-day advertising for "stocking stuffers," which always seem to be very high-priced trinkets. As children, our stockings got the same treats my parents - who were young children when the Great Depression started - got, namely, an orange, some walnuts, and a few treats like that. Understanding what it was like for their families during that era helped make me less enamored of acquiring and accumulating things, I believe. I'm satisfied not to have high-priced trinkets, in other words. 

In this house, we don't have a fireplace, anyway, just a woodburning stove. No place to hang stockings.  :laugh:
That's pretty much the way it has always been with the Fullers as well. Fruit and some cookies stuffed the stockings. And an occasional lottery ticket. (Though now I laugh that Hochulstan is now printing on those tickets "Lottery tickets are not to be given as gifts to children." Even as the state never cared before. Killjoys!)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 07:04:42 pm »
(Though now I laugh that Hochulstan is now printing on those tickets "Lottery tickets are not to be given as gifts to children." Even as the state never cared before. Killjoys!
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 09:59:25 pm »
We still hang our stockings (the same ones from when we were kids) ---- even when it's the two of us.  Santa's filled them with some of the best surprises!   happy77

Merry Christmas!

7777sleigh