General Category > January 6th

Judge goes beyond prosecutors' request with sentence for Jan. 6 couple

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
Judge goes beyond prosecutors' request with sentence for Jan. 6 couple
By Joseph Choi - 12/16/21 06:12 PM EST

A U.S. district judge on Wednesday issued a sentence against a couple who took part in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot that went beyond what prosecutors recommended, giving them jail time.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) had asked that Brandon Miller and his wife Stephanie Miller be sentenced to home confinement as part of a 36-month probationary period. The Ohio couple was charged with entering the Capitol, with Brandon Miller livestreaming their actions on Facebook.

As WUSA reported, U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan ruled, however, that their actions warranted time behind bars.

They didn’t just walk through a door. They climbed through a broken window ... they knew full well of the violence that had preceded their entry,” Chutkan said. “The fact is that they were part of a mob ... that was intent on stopping the lawful transfer of power.”

“It amounted to an attempted overthrow of the government,” she added. “I don’t believe that’s hyperbole.”

Brandon Miller was sentenced to 20 days in jail, and Stephanie Miller was sentenced to 14 days.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/586225-judge-goes-beyond-prosecutors-request-with-sentence-for-jan-6-couple

Smokin Joe:
How anyone can seriously view that event as "an attempted overthrow of the government" is beyond me.

Maybe it is just my logistical bent, but even if the folks in the front of the pack (ANTIFAs and BLM types) had succeeded in ousting the legislators from the building, all they would have done is occupy a building, not taken over the government. Without some serious weapons, even that hypothetical occupation would have been short lived.

There is a lot more to taking over a government than walking around in a couple of assembly halls and a few offices.

Utterly ridiculous.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 17, 2021, 03:48:20 pm ---How anyone can seriously view that event as "an attempted overthrow of the government" is beyond me.

Maybe it is just my logistical bent, but even if the folks in the front of the pack (ANTIFAs and BLM types) had succeeded in ousting the legislators from the building, all they would have done is occupy a building, not taken over the government. Without some serious weapons, even that hypothetical occupation would have been short lived.

There is a lot more to taking over a government than walking around in a couple of assembly halls and a few offices.

Utterly ridiculous.

--- End quote ---

:yowsa:  pointing-up

Kamaji:
The judge is showing her bias.

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on December 17, 2021, 03:56:29 pm ---The judge is showing her bias.

--- End quote ---

This should earn her a seat on the SC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version