Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo must return the $5.1 million from his COVID book deal, Ethics Committee Says  (Read 417 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Andrew Cuomo must return the $5.1 million from his COVID book deal, Ethics Committee Says
Insider Paper, Dec 14, 2021

New York’s Joint Commission on Public Ethics has ruled that former Gov. Andrew Cuomo must return the $5.1 million he made off his controversial COVID book deal. In response, Cuomo’s attorney said the committee’s actions are “unconstitutional, exceed its own authority and appear to be driven by political interest rather than the facts and the law.”

The commission is New York’s ethics watchdog, and it reached the resolution on Cuomo’s COVID book deal today in a 12 to one vote, according to the New York Post. It comes a month after the commission voted to revoke its previous approval that allowed Cuomo to earn outside income from his book entitled American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic.

At the time Andrew Cuomo reached the $5.1 million COVID book deal, he was still governor of New York, which was still battling the virus, so today’s order to return the money marks a significant reversal. The Joint Commission on Public Affairs reversed its decision because it concluded that Cuomo violated his agreement not to use state resources or government staffers in putting together the book.

Commissioner David McNamara, a Republican senator, drafted the resolution, saying that Cuomo “lacked the legal authority to engage in outside activity and receive compensation in regard to the book” now that the watchdog has reversed its approval.

The commission also ruled that the proceeds Cuomo earned from the book should be handed over to New York Attorney General Letitia James. Her office’s investigation forced Cuomo to resign after it substantiated multiple accusations of harassment and mistreatment from current and former staffers.

https://insiderpaper.com/andrew-cuomo-must-return-the-5-1-million-from-his-covid-book-deal-ethics-committee-says/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

He'll either have to turn it over or spend it on legal fees.  Which to hope for ....  *hmmmm*

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Man, Fredo's brother was really hated in New York political circles.  Looks like everyone is taking the opportunity to get their revenge.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline rustynail

He'll either have to turn it over or spend it on legal fees.  Which to hope for ....  *hmmmm*

No matter what, lawyers get paid.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd rather see lawyers get the money, rather than the publisher who knew it was all bullshit and paid him anyway.  This is a red-letter day for me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

I'd rather see lawyers get the money, rather than the publisher who knew it was all bullshit and paid him anyway.  This is a red-letter day for me.

It's not going to the publisher; it's supposed to go to the NY state government, at least according to the OP.  That being said, still better that it should go to some bottom-feeding lawyers than to NYS.

Offline Kamaji

Here's the fun part:  if he does give the money back, does he get a tax refund for the income tax he paid on that money?  Hopefully not.