Author Topic: Farmer reveals the 'absolutely terrifying' reality of Australia's urea shortage and how it's used in  (Read 618 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
By Peter Vincent and Stephen Johnson For Daily Mail Australia 12/10/2021

Farmer reveals the 'absolutely terrifying' reality of Australia's urea shortage and how it's used in almost EVERY item in your fridge - as supply is forecast to run out in just weeks

•   Urea stockpiles are low after China banned exports to contain fertiliser prices

•   It has a huge range of uses including food, beer production and in diesel vehicles

•   Energy Minister admitted five weeks' supply of AdBlue, which needs urea

•   Shipments on way to Australia would provide another two weeks of urea supply

An Australian farmer fears the urea supply crisis could halt normal life within weeks if it is not resolved.

Matt Ferguson-Tait, a cattle farmer and pig hunter from Far North Queensland, posted a viral TikTok in which he said Australia could 'come to a standstill' because of the shortage of the essential chemical.

Urea has hit the news because it is needed to produce a key fuel additive for the millions of diesel vehicles that move goods across Australia - including to supermarkets.

But the farmer claimed the 'worldwide' shortage of urea is even more 'frightening' than we realise because it is has so many uses beyond transport.

Urea is an organic compound used by cattle farmers to add nitrogen to feed which promotes growth.

The substance is also a cheap fertiliser for fruit and vegetable crops.

Stockpiles of urea are running low globally after China this year banned exports in a bid to contain fertiliser prices.

Mr Ferguson-Tait claimed most of what is in Australian fridges and cupboards - including meat, vegetables, grains and beer - needs urea for commercial production.

'Go and have a look in your cupboard and go and have a look in your fridge and I guarantee just about every single item there, at some point, urea has been used to produce that item, whether it's a steak or a salad or a can of baked beans,' he said.

'That is terrifying in itself.'

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10295401/Farmer-reveals-absolutely-terrifying-reality-Australias-urea-shortage.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Desperate for manure, the world turns to human waste

By CNBCTV18.com | Dec 11, 2021

https://www.cnbctv18.com/agriculture/fertilisers-prices-high-biosolids-human-waste-animal-waste-manure-synthetic-fertilisers-urea-11775962.htm/amp

Mini

Synthetic fertiliser prices have increased multifold over the past year as a supply crunch of raw materials like coal, natural gas and urea has hit production, leading to the sudden and extreme popularity of organic manure as an alternative. Manure made from pigs, horses, cattle and even human biosolids have become a hot commodity.

The demand for manure is at an all-time high as the collapse of global supply chains have led to prices of synthetic fertilisers skyrocketing. Manure made from pigs, horses, cattle and even human biosolids is rapidly gaining popularity among farmers as they struggle to find enough synthetic fertilisers.

"There is a shortage of MOP (muriate of potash) and DAP (diammonium phosphate) fertilisers. We had a meeting with the Centre. The Union Agriculture Minister has guaranteed us that we would have fertiliser supply by December 14," Pradip Mazumdar, the Bengal government's Agriculture Advisor told Krishi Jagran, a magazine dedicated exclusively to agriculture.

What happened to synthetic fertilisers?

Synthetic fertilisers use coal and natural gas as some of raw materials. These synthetic fertilisers are used by farmers the world over to increase the yield of the crops by introducing nutrients like phosphate, nitrogen, sulphur and potash. These nutrients help crops grow faster and have bigger yields.

But the world is facing an acute crisis of fossil fuels like coal, petroleum and natural gas due to lower production and higher than expected demands. In such an environment, prices of energy resources have increased significantly over the year and most of the already falling short production is only being diverted towards the energy sector.

Another key ingredient, urea, is in short supply as global supply chains have broken down. This has further exacerbated the production issues for synthetic fertilisers.

As a result, manufacturers of synthetic fertilisers have been slowing down production as well. As a result, demand has outstripped supply, leading to a rapid increase in fertiliser prices.

What about manure?

Offline libertybele

North American fertilizer shortage sparks fears of higher food prices

A global shortage of nitrogen fertilizer is driving prices to record levels, prompting North America’s farmers to delay purchases and raising the risk of a spring scramble to apply the crop nutrient before planting season.

Farmers apply nitrogen to boost yields of corn, canola and wheat, and higher fertilizer costs could translate into higher meat and bread prices.

World food prices hit a 10-year high in October, according to the UN food agency, led by increases in cereal crops such as wheat and vegetable oils.

The Texas Arctic blast in February and Hurricane Ida in August disrupted US fertilizer production. Then, prices of natural gas, a key input in producing nitrogen, soared in Europe due to high demand and low supplies. Global urea prices this month topped $1,000 a tonne for the first time, according to BMO Capital Markets. Russia and China have curbed exports.

In the US, nitrogen fertilizer supplies are adequate for applications before winter, said Daren Coppock, CEO at the US-based Agricultural Retailers Association. Applying fertilizer before winter reduces farmers’ spring workload.

But with prices so high, some farmers are delaying purchases, risking a scramble for supplies during their busiest time of year, Coppock said.

Global nitrogen fertilizer sales were worth $53bn in 2020, and prices are at least 80% higher so far this year, according to Argus Media.

Normally, MKC, a Kansas farm cooperative, sells fertilizer to farmers for payment up front with delivery months down the road, giving growers certainty about a key expense.

With prices soaring, MKC has scaled back its pre-paid sales out of caution.

“You just don’t know what the price is going to be. It has put a lot of retailers in a tough spot,” said Troy Walker, MKC’s director of retail fertilizer.

Delaying fertilizer purchases until spring runs the risk of further supply chain congestion as farmers rush to apply fertilizer and plant seed during a tight window.

“There’s going to be a lot of people who wait and see,” Coppock said. “[But] if everybody’s scrambling in the spring to get enough, somebody’s corn isn’t going to get covered.“

Jim Zimmerman, a Wisconsin farmer, decided to bite the bullet and secure all his fertilizer for spring this year.

“It’s next year’s prices I’m worried about,” Zimmerman said. “It could get worse.“

Nutrien Ltd, the largest US farm supplier, has secured less nitrogen fertilizer than usual for spring delivery because manufacturers are making less available, said Jeff Tarsi, the company’s senior vice-president of retail. Sales to farmers are likely to occur closer to spring than usual, he said.

The one nitrogen product that is running short in North America is urea ammonium nitrate (UAN), said Kreg Ruhl, crop nutrients manager at Illinois-based farm cooperative Growmark. UAN is a liquid form that is convenient for farmers to apply.

ttps://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/25/fertilizer-shortage-north-america-farmers-food-prices
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

This is very concerning; prices of food will continue to escalate and store shelves will continue to be bare.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

China's stranglehold on the world economy will cause death and incredible hardship.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

China's stranglehold on the world economy will cause death and incredible hardship.

No worries, China Joe will make sure America is ok.  *****rollingeyes*****

...and to think that Trump had re-negotiated with China  .... obviously  that didn't sit well -- welcome COVID! Just MHO

Offline Hoodat

Australia should be able to get an ammonia plant up and running in one year, and a urea plant within another year.  They have plenty of natural gas.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Out of curiosity, I just checked "Emergency Essentials" website.  Their inventory is extremely low and very pricey, not a good sign. 
Mountain House website, inventory is low as well.   

I'm glad we bought cans of dehydrated food years ago.

After the holidays, I think I'm going to try to stock our freezers again.

I have a feeling things are about to get real soon.

Offline Hoodat

Three new Australian ammonia production projects

Julian Atchison  |  October 15, 2021

Gibson Island – Incitec Pivot and Fortescue Future Industries

FFI and Incitec Pivot (Australia’s largest fertiliser supplier) will partner up to investigate the feasibility of converting Incitec’s ammonia production plant at Gibson Island, Brisbane to run on renewable hydrogen. Currently Gibson Island uses natural gas as a feedstock. The cornerstone of the plan is construction of an on-site, 55,000 tonnes per year renewable hydrogen electrolysis facility. Results of the feasibility study are due by the end of this year.

The project, if successful, will safeguard several hundred manufacturing jobs in Queensland, in addition to creating a new domestic and export market for green, renewable ammonia. The resulting green ammonia could also provide a low-carbon fuel supply to the Port of Brisbane and Brisbane airport.

“FFI’s partnership with Incitec Pivot is an exciting opportunity to harness existing infrastructure at Gibson Island, fast tracking the production of green ammonia at an industrial scale,” said FFI Chief Executive Officer, Julie Shuttleworth AM.

https://www.ammoniaenergy.org/articles/three-new-australian-ammonia-production-projects/

Green ammonia is one big government con job.  Idiots.  Urea is already carbon neutral - from natural gas to urea.  Ammonia is an intermediary product.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

Three new Australian ammonia production projects

Julian Atchison  |  October 15, 2021

Gibson Island – Incitec Pivot and Fortescue Future Industries

FFI and Incitec Pivot (Australia’s largest fertiliser supplier) will partner up to investigate the feasibility of converting Incitec’s ammonia production plant at Gibson Island, Brisbane to run on renewable hydrogen. Currently Gibson Island uses natural gas as a feedstock. The cornerstone of the plan is construction of an on-site, 55,000 tonnes per year renewable hydrogen electrolysis facility. Results of the feasibility study are due by the end of this year.

The project, if successful, will safeguard several hundred manufacturing jobs in Queensland, in addition to creating a new domestic and export market for green, renewable ammonia. The resulting green ammonia could also provide a low-carbon fuel supply to the Port of Brisbane and Brisbane airport.

“FFI’s partnership with Incitec Pivot is an exciting opportunity to harness existing infrastructure at Gibson Island, fast tracking the production of green ammonia at an industrial scale,” said FFI Chief Executive Officer, Julie Shuttleworth AM.

https://www.ammoniaenergy.org/articles/three-new-australian-ammonia-production-projects/

Green ammonia is one big government con job.  Idiots.  Urea is already carbon neutral - from natural gas to urea.  Ammonia is an intermediary product.

Stupid should hurt - and it looks like it will...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Waitwaitwait!  There's pee in my beer?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

Urea molecule.  2 NH3 + CO2 → CO(NH2)2 + H2O

The creation of urea from ammonia consumes CO2, (i.e. it removes it from the atmosphere).  But the green ammonia people don't get it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:19:38 pm by Hoodat »

Offline libertybele

Someone needs to put a stranglehold on China ... oh wait.... didn't DJT try that?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I could be wrong about this, and I'm no expert, but...

... I don't think that diesel trucks REQUIRE urea to run (they certainly didn't in the past). Rather, modern emissions systems on diesels need the urea to reduce particulate emissions.

I will guess that if there is no urea, the trucks will either run without it, or that they can be easily modified to do so. The consequence is that they will produce greater emissions, like "the diesels of old".

So... all the Aussies need to do to keep the trucks running may be to issue an emergency order that suspends environmental restrictions on them.

Will they do so...?

Offline Kamaji

... I don't think that diesel trucks REQUIRE urea to run (they certainly didn't in the past). Rather, modern emissions systems on diesels need the urea to reduce particulate emissions.

I will guess that if there is no urea, the trucks will either run without it, or that they can be easily modified to do so. The consequence is that they will produce greater emissions, like "the diesels of old".

So... all the Aussies need to do to keep the trucks running may be to issue an emergency order that suspends environmental restrictions on them.

Will they do so...?

Exactly correct.  The urea solution is injected post-combustion, breaks down into its ammonia compound, and that interacts with the nitrogen compounds. 

Depending on whether there are interlocks, the engine should run just fine without urea. 

Offline Hoodat

You are correct, sir.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!

Why do you think it's yellow?
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline corbe

So all this $hit about deisels going into limp mode without DEF is just BS?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 04:06:31 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Yes. DEF goes into the exhaust to reduce NOx.   The engine has already done it's job without it.

Offline Kamaji

They may go into limp mode as a result of the computer commanding it to do so, but from a strictly chemistry perspective, they shouldn't need the urea in order to function as an engine as such.