Author Topic: Dem Sen. Murphy Calls for National Safe Storage Gun Law to Hold Parents ‘Accountable’  (Read 364 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dem Sen. Murphy Calls for National Safe Storage Gun Law to Hold Parents ‘Accountable’

Pam Key 5 Dec 2021

Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” called for a national safe storage law when reacting to James and Jennifer Crumbley being charged with involuntary manslaughter after their son 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley was charged for terrorism and murder in the school shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan.

Anchor Jake Tapper said, “The prosecutor in Michigan is doing something unusual. She’s charging the parents of the alleged gunman with involuntary manslaughter. Not only did they buy him the gun. They ignored his disturbing behavior, searching for ammunition on his cellphone, drawing violent pictures at school. The school alerted them, and they didn’t seem to care much. Should more prosecutors be holding parents responsible when they are not doing enough to keep their guns out of the hands of children who use them for violent ends?”

Murphy said, “If parents violate the law, they should be held accountable. I don’t know the details of the Michigan law. It looks as if these parents bought a gun for their child, who shouldn’t have ever possessed it. If parents are in violation of state law, they should be held accountable. I do think this should make us think hard about safe storage laws. In Connecticut, we have on the books a law that requires parents to safely store their guns. If those guns aren’t locked up with minors in the house, they can be held accountable without question. Michigan doesn’t have that law on the books. But we should pass that on a national basis. I think we would get a lot of gun owners to support us, to say, if you have minors in the house, if you have weapons, you have to keep those weapons locked up. If we made that change, not only would that prevent some of these horrific mass shooting incidents.”

He added, “A safe storage law may be the thing that could draw bipartisan compromise, that could get support of a lot of common-sense gun owners. It’s not about taking anybody’s weapons away. It’s just about saying if you are going to own the weapon, store it safely.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/12/05/dem-sen-murphy-calls-for-national-safe-storage-gun-law-to-hold-parents-accountable/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

It seems the Democrat Party is obsessed with holding parents accountable. They also want to hold parents “accountable” for showing up at school board meetings to voice their displeasure at what their kids are being taught

Meanwhile, this is the same party that bends backwards to coddle  the criminal class

It boggles the mind that these people really believe they have credibility with the general public

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:18:23 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
It seems the Democrat Party is obsessed with holding parents accountable. They also want to hold parents “accountable” for showing up at school board meetings to voice their displeasure at what their kids are being taught

Meanwhile, this is the same party that bends backwards to coddle  the criminal class

It boggles the mind that these people really believe they have credibility with the general public

They scream for their agenda; they are always correct and those on the right are always wrong and must bow to their rules.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Killer Clouds

This has already been determined by SCOTUS unconstitutional.

Offline LegalAmerican

Crazy.  Put guns in storage...so that when someone enters your home to rob you,  you can say.  "Hold it, need to get my locked up  gun....first".   Then get beaten, raped, robbed, killed?   Please stop the insanity.  Do we lock up knives, baseball bats, 2x4's? 

Cars can't be used anymore, as there are deaths with cars too?  Darrel Brooks!   

Offline Killer Clouds

Crazy.  Put guns in storage...so that when someone enters your home to rob you,  you can say.  "Hold it, need to get my locked up  gun....first".   Then get beaten, raped, robbed, killed?   Please stop the insanity.  Do we lock up knives, baseball bats, 2x4's? 

:thumbsup:

Offline EdinVA

So how do they plan to verify/endforce this?
Might be a bit hazardous to be part of the federal safe storage inspectors...  :whistle:

Offline LegalAmerican

Might be a bit hazardous to be part of the federal safe storage inspectors...  :whistle:

And are ALL GANG BANGERS/THUGS....PARENTS...going to be held accountable?  I doubt it.  I would not mind going into ghettos and removing all illegal guns.

But that, WILL NEVER HAPPEN. ONLY GOOD PEOPLE, WITH GUNS, WILL BE AFFECTED. They want law abiding citizens to lose their guns, but allow CRIMINALS...to keep theirs. 

Offline Hoodat

Is Murphy saying that the parents can't be held accountable without a national safe storage law?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well obviously, and of course to insure proper compliance there must be a strictly enforced database of all weapons possessed by legal gun holders. Illegal gun owners need not comply and will be excused from compliance. Federal safe storage inspectors will no doubt be accompanied by SWAT or National Guard.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 12:56:04 am by GtHawk »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The bottom line is that the lousy judgement of one set of parents does not lead to burdening every person in the country because two egregiously fouled up.

How many American owned guns that day were not used to harm anyone.
How many were used in legitimate self-defense?
I have always hated the mentality that punishes all for the sins of a few.
Those who will not abide by the laws we have against murder, rape, robbery, and assault won't suddenly have a Saul of Tarsus moment because some legislator writes yet another law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Hold parents accountable?

What about holding accountable the Capitol police officer who left his loaded gun in a bathroom?  Yeah, the same guy who killed Ashli and then got off scott free.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The bottom line is that the lousy judgement of one set of parents does not lead to burdening every person in the country because two egregiously fouled up.

Those who will not abide by the laws we have against murder, rape, robbery, and assault won't suddenly have a Saul of Tarsus moment because some legislator writes yet another law.
When My children were little I not only had guns in the home they were loaded so as to be ready in case of need, not once did my children ever try to handle one of those guns unless I took them to the range to shoot. My son was bullied in school and yet he never took one of my guns with him to school or draw pictures of guns and bleeding/dead people.

Offline LegalAmerican

:bingo:

Offline LegalAmerican

Hold parents accountable?

What about holding accountable the Capitol police officer who left his loaded gun in a bathroom?  Yeah, the same guy who killed Ashli and then got off scott free.

:thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

This is quite a contrast from the Democrat mantra of the past year that parents have no right to know what their kids are being taught in school.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

When My children were little I not only had guns in the home they were loaded so as to be ready in case of need, not once did my children ever try to handle one of those guns unless I took them to the range to shoot. My son was bullied in school and yet he never took one of my guns with him to school or draw pictures of guns and bleeding/dead people.
True enough.
Dad kept the long guns in a closet in the hall, ammo on the shelf just above them. It was never locked.
We were allowed to shoot when we were little, with the understanding that we ASKED (and were accompanied by a grown up until we got older). BB and pellet guns were our carry guns around the farm until we got old enough to carry a .22 (9 or 10). By then we had demonstrated good muzzle discipline and instinctive knowledge of safe firearm handling.
We were told that if we so much as pulled a gun out of the rack without permission, we would not be allowed to shoot for another year after that. That was a rule stated so emphatically, and a consequence so dire, we never broke it.

I had a bad run in grade/middle school, but NEVER once thought of resorting to firearms.
It ended when i got my hands on a 2X2 signpost coming out of the school one day in 8th grade, and scattered the 4 kids who jumped me, but a gun was never considered.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:06:20 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

True enough.
Dad kept the long guns in a closet in the hall, ammo on the shelf just above them. It was never locked.
We were allowed to shoot when we were little, with the understanding that we ASKED (and were accompanied by a grown up until we got older). BB and pellet guns were our carry guns around the farm until we got old enough to carry a .22 (9 or 10). By then we had demonstrated good muzzle discipline and instinctive knowledge of safe firearm handling.
We were told that if we so much as pulled a gun out of the rack without permission, we would not be allowed to shoot for another year after that. That was a rule stated so emphatically, and a consequence so dire, we never broke it.

I had a bad run in grade/middle school, but NEVER once thought of resorting to firearms.
It ended when i got my hands on a 2X2 signpost coming out of the school one day in 8th grade, and scattered the 4 kids who jumped me, but a gun was never considered.
I was talking to my brother today about his days of coaching, and he told me that back then he brought his guns to school to teach the kids the various type of guns and how to handle them.

Proper education is extremely important in teaching kids what a gun represents.  It is not a fantasy device on a video game, but a tool that can cause great harm if not used properly.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

I was talking to my brother today about his days of coaching, and he told me that back then he brought his guns to school to teach the kids the various type of guns and how to handle them.

Proper education is extremely important in teaching kids what a gun represents.  It is not a fantasy device on a video game, but a tool that can cause great harm if not used properly.
Right. Along with edged devices, electricity, flammable materials, and power tools (not to mention automobiles), the potential for destruction should be respected. A little training and all can be used safely.
In the hands of the stupid or malevolent, all can cause great harm.

C S Lewis