General Category > Economy/Business

Investment Tips Thread

<< < (8/10) > >>

DefiantMassRINO:
2008 was a real eye opener for me.

I had never seen Money Market Funds "break the buck" prior.  I was not aware that Money Market Funds could loose principal.

The bank withdrew our Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) even though we had over 40% equity in our home.  We had to take out a home equity loan @8%, which we quickly repaid.

The time I need cash the most may be the same time that is least available.  I started hoarding cash.  Some investment professionals would say this was a less than optimal deployment of my capital.  My main motivation was to be able to sleep at night knowing I could pay my bills and keep my home if the fit hit the shan again.

Now, I have too much cash.  Now I am incrementally deploying my cash to pay down my mortgage, dollar cost acquire stocks, and contribute to my employer 401-K and my Roll-Over IRA from a previous employer.

My investing guiding principles are to only risk money I can afford to lose (learned this gambling at the dog track) and to be able to sleep at night knowing I'll have access to cash should I need it.

At certain points in life, preservation of capital is more important than return on capital.  The credit market seizing in 2008 was one such time.

Cash is a (psychological and financial) hedge against uncertainty.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on July 15, 2022, 05:50:17 pm ---

Cash is a (psychological and financial) hedge against uncertainty.

--- End quote ---

I have no faith in the $USD right now.  That is why my recent tendencies for flight to safety has been towards precious metals.

catfish1957:
Not exactly an investment tip, but for those of us that watch the markets, is anyone else noticing the bump in stock indicies and at least some stabilzation of interest rates.  Commodites too, have not only not spiked, but are seeming to ease.

Wall Street and its sentiment is by far the best barometer of how elections are going.  Not wanting to get everyone's hopes too far up, but I think a GOP takeover of the house and senate is now baked into market performance and sentiment.

This pretty much cooks Pedo Joe's agenda the next few years, unless our resident RINOs. betray us.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on October 26, 2022, 02:43:45 pm ---Not exactly an investment tip, but for those of us that watch the markets, is anyone else noticing the bump in stock indicies and at least some stabilzation of interest rates.  Commodites too, have not only not spiked, but are seeming to ease.

Wall Street and its sentiment is by far the best barometer of how elections are going.  Not wanting to get everyone's hopes too far up, but I think a GOP takeover of the house and senate is now baked into market performance and sentiment.

This pretty much cooks Pedo Joe's agenda the next few years, unless until our resident RINOs. betray us.

--- End quote ---

Fixed it!

DefiantMassRINO:
In the short term, a Dem victory would be a windfall for energy companies - they'd be able to further maximize profits on existing long-term capital investments.

I like to keep an eye on energy pipeline companies and refiners.  Biden won't allow new ones to come online, so, the existing ones will only increase in value as the government-created energy supply deficit continues.

I also recently bought some silver coins (2021 Royal British Mint 2oz Silver Bullion Queen's Beasts Completer 5lb coin) for neumistic reasons more than melt value:

I was just enthralled with the quality and level of artisanship in the design.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version