Author Topic: Interest costs on the national debt just surpassed spending on defense, Medicare  (Read 90 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Interest costs on the national debt just surpassed spending on defense, Medicare
Story by Megan Henney •

US debt will be an ‘important election issue,’ Brenda O’Connor Juanas says: These numbers are ‘scary’

Interest payments on the nation’s ballooning debt just eclipsed spending on defense and Medicare, worrying policy experts who have warned this threatens to undermine U.S. economic stability.

In the first seven months of fiscal year 2024, which began in October, spending on net interest surged to $514 billion, surpassing spending on both national defense ($498 billion) and Medicare ($465 billion). In fact, interest costs have topped spending on veterans, education and transportation combined.

"Rising debt will continue to put upward pressure on interest rates," the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB), a nonpartisan group that advocates for lowering the national deficit, said in a statement. "Without reforms to reduce the debt and interest, interest costs will keep rising, crowd out spending on other priorities and burden future generations."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/interest-costs-on-the-national-debt-just-surpassed-spending-on-defense-medicare/ar-BB1mzXyR?ocid=widgetonlockscreen&cvid=d5fa028690aa479b897a8a7d7ba98535&ei=57
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online LMAO

From the article…..

US debt will be an ‘important election issue,’ Brenda O’Connor Juanas says: ’

It should be

But it isn’t and it won’t be. Both candidates want more spending and their supporters don’t care

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy