Author Topic: Investment Tips Thread  (Read 16545 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Investment Tips Thread
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:29:02 pm »
First the disclaimers....   This thread is intended for recreation, and any advise, tips, or information provided to the reader is with the understanding that investing in general invokes risk.  Anything you see here may cause you to lose value in your investment. 

Secondly, please understand that you really need to do your research before pulling the trigger.  A knowledgeable investor always outperforms

Thirdly, please make sure that with the inherent nature that investing of any manner consitutes a gamble, that you do not risk money that you can't afford to lose......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Investment Tips Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »
Figure, I'll start the proceedings with a general analysis .....

Not knowing everyone's  exact situation, I really don't like to give specifics on investment choices. I haven't batted 1.000 in these 40 years, and would hate for someone to lose money on what i may think is a good play. What may be a good choice for a 64 year old retiree may not be the same for someone else.

In any casem here is some general advise that has served me well through the years and during '87, '00, '08, and now.......

1. Priority 1 should be eliminating or reducing debt. I view debt payments by default as negative income.

2. Competitively bid all aspects of your expenses. Get the utmost value down to the penny for everything you buy, or services you secure. Over years and years, you would be surprised how much this adds to your net worth balance sheet.

3. Keep your investment portfolio that is intended toward goals... i.e retirement as an example, in strong conservative investments. When you have those bases covered, then you can look at speculative plays.

4. I invested zero in the dot coms in the '90's. My father gave me the best advise of all in that era.. "Why would you ever invest in anything that by default does not  make money?"   To me that rule still applies today.

5. I have found that the simple rule of putting 100 minus your age in equities has worked pretty well for me. Maybe not for everyone, but........

6. Research and "like". When investing, I tend to get into stocks which I think have good products and services  that I like. Before getting in I research it to death too. A Low P/E is often a good indicator. Furthermore, is there a long term demand for that product or service?

7. The best time often to invest is when everyone is rushing out the door. That is the toughest part, but finding a price bottom is golden toward finding long term returns.

8. Monitor investments and net worth monthly. Research, evaluate, and adjust as needed.

9. Don't fall in love with a stock/fund/etc. so much that you resist selling when the fruit is ripe. Don't forget that your favorite stock is not a family member.

10. Never forget that a SHTF scenario is always a possibility. Remote, but still there. Have a base amount of investments that will address. Metals, Land, etc.

11. Formulate and adhere to three different budget scenarios... (1) Regular (2) Austerity (3) Emergency.

Just my philosphy, what sez other Briefers..

« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 03:13:10 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 09:19:20 pm »
I stayed away from gold/silver.  If we really do have a SHTF situation, people want food and shelter not gold.  It just seems to me that a few acres of land with some sort of shelter and equipment to work it would be better with maybe a stash of some trade goods.

just my 2 cents..

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 11:14:34 pm »
I stayed away from gold/silver.  If we really do have a SHTF situation, people want food and shelter not gold.  It just seems to me that a few acres of land with some sort of shelter and equipment to work it would be better with maybe a stash of some trade goods.

just my 2 cents..

Good points.

I figure my 3 farms parcels and 3 homes with acreage will cover that angle.  Wife is a master gardener, and has vegetable seeds enough to last 10 years for a 1000 square foot garden.   Still, Gold and Silver might be the $100's and $1's of a dystopian economy. Plus it will be the capital base of wealth to rebuild.   

Main residence has a potable water well, so I will have drinking water  as tender too.   I highly recommend if possible, everybody getting a well/ generator if it is allowed in your location.  Finally, I have held on to an old Nissan Titan that is flex fuel, and can fully operate on pure ethanol.  Many  have asked why I have held on to it....  I think you can see why.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:21:12 am »
Figure, I'll start the proceedings with a general analysis .....

Not knowing everyone's  exact situation, I really don't like to give specifics on investment choices. I haven't batted 1.000 in these 40 years, and would hate for someone to lose money on what i may think is a good play. What may be a good choice for a 64 year old retiree may not be the same for someone else.

In any casem here is some general advise that has served me well through the years and during '87, '00, '08, and now.......

1. Priority 1 should be eliminating or reducing debt. I view debt payments by default as negative income.

2. Competitively bid all aspects of your expenses. Get the utmost value down to the penny for everything you buy, or services you secure. Over years and years, you would be surprised how much this adds to your net worth balance sheet.

3. Keep your investment portfolio that is intended toward goals... i.e retirement as an example, in strong conservative investments. When you have those bases covered, then you can look at speculative plays.

4. I invested zero in the dot coms in the '90's. My father gave me the best advise of all in that era.. "Why would you ever invest in anything that by default does not  make money?"   To me that rules still applies today.

5. I have found that the simple rule of putting 100 minus your age in equities has worked pretty well for me. Maybe not for everyone, but........

6. Research and "like". When investing, I tend to get into stocks which I think have good products that I like. Before getting in I research it to death too. A Low P/E is often a good indicator. Furthermore, is there a long term demand for the product?

7. The best time often to invest is when everyone is rushing out the door. The is the toughest part, but finding a price bottom, is golden toward finding long term return.

8. Monitor investments and net worth monthly. Research, evaluate, and adjust as needed.

9. Don't fall in love with a stock/fund/etc. so much that you resist selling when the fruit is ripe. Don't forget that your favorite stock is not a family member.

10. Never forget that a SHTF scenario is always a possibility. Remote, but still there. Have a base amount of investments that will address. Metals, Land, etc.

11. Formulate and adhere to three different budget scenarios... (1) Regular (2) Austerity (3) Emergency.

Just my philosphy, what sez other Briefers..

Definitely being as debt free as possible is important. Even at that Glenn Beck has advocated that they way things are being run today and the way that the gov't is heading us, no one will own anything -- basically the gov't and the elitist will own everything.

I believe it is crucial that you have a paper trail to prove ownership of your land, house, stocks, etc., -- something other than an on-line copy of your deed and an on-line statement of your account(s).  It's going to be too easy for everything to *poof* just disappear.

Gold and silver I believe are still going to be valuable. (I know of someone who survived the Vietnam war buy giving a small chunk of his gold chain here and there and it saved his life). 

We do not have our own well, but we do have a canal outback that we can draw water from (provided that they don't drain it) and use distillation to make it drinkable.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:26:20 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 11:23:05 pm »
Good suggestions @catfish1957   I believe we are much alike.

I did not see the word 'diversification' anywhere, other than to build a conservative base and then speculate with a solid foundation, and would like to suggest that diversification is paramount

I initially had almost all investments in mutual funds as it was easier.  When I was able to have more time available, I did my own research and changed mostly to individual stocks as it gave me more freedom, had improved tax effects, and zeroed out the charges mutual funds charged every year.

For myself, I place any stock investments into about 10 major categories.  I also emphasize tangible assets like real estate, commodities and the like, as when times get tough, they retain at least some value to fall back on rather than simply a phantom enterprise value aka Enron.

My own portfolio shies away from tech companies as for me they are more difficult to understand how value is obtained compared to say Exxon or Johnson and Johnson.  Tech companies rely more on stock price growth rather than paying dividends and to me that causes more fluctuations in long-term value.  In retirement, I love dividends.

The best investments for normal folks are ones kept a minimum of five years but ideally ten or more years.  These requires companies with longevity and a track record. Track records do not always make it as attested by GE, Xerox and the like, but certainly gives more comfort into the future.

One thing I have difficulty with is checking the investments only periodically.  To do so often makes one make bad decisions based more on what is happening now rather than the basic premises of why one bought the stock in the first place.  I can attest to several spur-of-the-moment decisions I made which I later regretted.

After retirement, I have also found a significant issue not considered earlier was the impact of holding most of one's investments in pre-tax holdings rather than holdings where Uncle Sam has already been paid.  The balancing of how to distribute needed retirement income from both sources is a delicate issue that can have large tax implications as well as Medicare premiums changes.

For me personally, I shy away from government promises about future tax implications as these can change at the whim of government at any time.  Roth IRAs with the promise of tax free withdrawals after five years is to me risky, although I understand why a lot of people do it. 

Years ago I obtained and read the book "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham written in 1949.  Graham was heralded as Buffett's mentor and Warren says it is the best financial book of all time as its advice is timeless.  I suggest anyone considering investments to take a look at it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:44:43 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 10:17:18 pm »
My wife and I are at an age now where preserving what we have has become more of a priority than it was twenty years ago and that task is becoming increasingly difficult given the current state of our country's "leadership".
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 10:34:07 pm »
My wife and I are at an age now where preserving what we have has become more of a priority than it was twenty years ago and that task is becoming increasingly difficult given the current state of our country's "leadership".

In ever significant downturn retirees and the elderly do suffer the most on the balance sheet, for the simple reason that the elderly have to invest conservatively which systematically hurts gains, and ROI. They just can't risk their capital base.

This is one of the biggest quandaries of all, and really the only rememdy is making sure you overshoot your goals for minimum needs.

Even with that I am at about 5X that base capital need and returns right now, and I still don't feel safe with Pedo Joe and his clown car running the economic show.  I hope other Briefers have suggestions.  Most fixed income instrument are in negative territory with Bidenflation, and that does not look like it is going to relent.....   anytime soon.

But one i used to tell people who ask me how to reach retirement goals......   I said "Save until it hurts, then keep hurting till you feel your goals and needs are met with plenty of room to spare."

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 10:51:03 pm »
In ever significant downturn retirees and the elderly do suffer the most on the balance sheet, for the simple reason that the elderly have to invest conservatively which systematically hurts gains, and ROI. They just can't risk their capital base.

This is one of the biggest quandaries of all, and really the only rememdy is making sure you overshoot your goals for minimum needs.

Even with that I am at about 5X that base capital need and returns right now, and I still don't feel safe with Pedo Joe and his clown car running the economic show.  I hope other Briefers have suggestions.  Most fixed income instrument are in negative territory with Bidenflation, and that does not look like it is going to relent.....   anytime soon.

But one i used to tell people who ask me how to reach retirement goals......   I said "Save until it hurts, then keep hurting till you feel your goals and needs are met with plenty of room to spare."

I'm not even remotely playing in the same league with Warren Buffett but considering where we started from - with neither pot nor window - we've done alright for ourselves so far.

Having a son who works for a major bank doesn't hurt either.
@catfish1957
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 02:05:43 am »
As an example of keeping diversification in mind, my oil stocks have hit ridiculously high levels and I had to sell off some Chevron stock to keep it from being too much of my portfolio.

The good news is I made a lot of profit per share (over $100).

The bad news is I will be paying a lot in taxes next year.
I also have to find a replacement stock to buy which pays lucrative and reliable dividends.

It is a good problem to have compared to the alternative in reverse.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:16:57 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 04:39:21 pm »
As an example of keeping diversification in mind, my oil stocks have hit ridiculously high levels and I had to sell off some Chevron stock to keep it from being too much of my portfolio.

The good news is I made a lot of profit per share (over $100).

The bad news is I will be paying a lot in taxes next year.
I also have to find a replacement stock to buy which pays lucrative and reliable dividends.

It is a good problem to have compared to the alternative in reverse.

happy77 happy77 happy77

Couple of suggestions to relieve that pain....    happy77

* See if any of the provisions of "NUA" Net Unrealized Appreciation principles apply to distribution.
* If it was a partial distribution, don't forget "Last In-First Out" aspects of enumerating the capital gains.
* I hate paying capital gains taxes, and when I do have a big gain, I always make a point to make sure to drop the dogs off the portfolio in tandem. The freaking $3K loss carry over limit is bullshit.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 12:14:32 am »
happy77 happy77 happy77

Couple of suggestions to relieve that pain....    happy77

* See if any of the provisions of "NUA" Net Unrealized Appreciation principles apply to distribution.
* If it was a partial distribution, don't forget "Last In-First Out" aspects of enumerating the capital gains.
* I hate paying capital gains taxes, and when I do have a big gain, I always make a point to make sure to drop the dogs off the portfolio in tandem. The freaking $3K loss carry over limit is bullshit.
You and I think a lot alike.

I took advantage of NUAs on two of the companies I worked for that gave me company stock.  It is an underutilized trick to save taxes by establishing a low base when stock is taken out of a 401k.

I have been dumping a few dogs already and have used the losses to shield a lot of gain.

That's the good news.
The bad news is I have losses.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 12:01:19 am »
Investing is like going to the dog track ... only play with money you can afford to lose.

I evaluate investments based upon will I be able to sleep at night.

Money and financial insecurity are deeply emotional issues that manfiest themselves as risk tolerance.

Everyone has a different opinion about investing.  There is no such thing as consensus, right, or wrong.  You need to be at peace with your investments and undertstand what you are investing in.

Growing up, my family was house rich and cash poor - they bought the house in 1975, never took a second mortgage.  So when I applied to college in 1988/1989 they counted my parents' net equity in our primary residence against my financial aid eligibility.

My parents did what they were taught were the right things ... stayed married, worked hard, stayed out of debt, provided their kids with better lives and more opportunities than they had. 

Only problem, the college financial aid criteria rewarded debt and penalized equity.  What my Canadian neighbors met with a financial aid consultant who had them mortgage 80% of their primary residence equity, which they used to buy a vacation home in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.  On paper, the Canadian neighbors had less equity in their primary residence, thus, they qualified for more financial aid.

At times, the system is not fair - it may penalize what you believe to be right and may reward what you believe to be wrong.

In our current tax regime, earned income is penalized, long-term capital gains are rewarded, and saving money is more tax efficient than increased earned income.

If you believe that all you need to do to succeed is work hard and save, you are setting yourself up for failure.  Government makes the rules, but they also change the rules, sometimes during the game when it benefits them.

Part of my uncle's retirement plan was to buy EE US Savings Bonds.  At the time he bought them, they carried fixed rates and could be rolled over into HH US Bonds tax free - not having to pay capital gains tax on the EE Bonds.  My uncle was an accountant.  He read the IRS tax code for leisure.  As he neared the point of the EE Bonds' maturities, the Federal Government changed the rules - EE Bonds could no longer be rolled into HH Bonds taxfree, and the HH Bonds would pay a variable rate, not a fixed rate, during a time when intertest rates were on a multi-decades long  downward trend.  Unforunately, this was his main retirement plan outside any penions or Social Security.  He put too many eggs in one basket.  His plan didn't work as expected because rules and market conditiions had changed.

Nature manages risk by diversification.  That's a personal investing principle that I choose to heed.  Not only diversifying investments, but also diversifying asset classes, investment vehicles, and financial institutions.  I am highly financially insecure and untrusting. I want to diversify - spread - my investments across mulitple institutions, multiple different account types, and multiple asset classes.  This helps me sleep at night - I know that if my ship sinks, I will not be alone, I will have much company.

Money can ebb and flow like the tides.  My father's maternal grandparents were very wealthy.  A combination of events changed the financial trajectories of their descendants.  My great grandfather lost much money in the Great Stock Crash of 1929, and he committed suicide.  My great grandmother was psychiatrically committed.  Her family stole the money meant her young daughters (my grandmother, my father's mother).  My grandmother grew up poor as a result.  My father grew up poor.  My father and his siblings grew up in a cold water flat and went hungry.  One Winter, a pipe broke and they were able to skate on the dining room floor for much of the Winter.  Well into his 70's and 80's, my uncle kept a pound of bologna and a pound of cheese in his regfrigerator, so he could sleep knowing he would not go hungry the next day.

Financial security is both a reality and an illusion.  It's an illusion because believing it's real helps you sleep well at night.  It's only real if you can access the money when you need it.  When markets crash, liquidity become lacking - there are far more sellers than buyers and market makers may become overwhelmed - unable to fulfill transactions.  I've seen this in 1987, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2008.  When you need cash the most, you may not be able to sell assets for cash - asset rich, cash poor.

2008 was by far the worst I've experienced in my lifetime.  For the first time I can recall, money market funds "broke the buck".  Money market funds were advertised as being safe vehicles without risk to principal.  In 2008, for a brief time, money market funds lost principal value - "broke the buck".

In August 2008, as my wife and I were attempting to adopt, our Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) got pulled without warning.  We lost the line of credit we were going to use to help pay some adoption expenses.  To get cash in the bank, we had to take out a Home Equity Loan at 8%.  The adoption fell through for various reasons.  We used the remainder of the Home Equity Loan to buy new Honda Accords in January 2009 when the dealership was desperate for buyers.  We paid off the home equity loan within 2 years.

Late 2008/early 2009, the Federal Government began picking winners and losers.  They made up rules as they went along.  They were voiding contracts without warning.  They were changing rules as they needed to.  Companies were forced to merge with companies that they didn't want; and later penalized for the liabilities assumed in the merger.  If bankruptcy had been used to merge a "bad" bank with a "good" bank, the "good" bank would not have been fined billions of dollars for the "bad" bank's illegalities.  Contracts were no longer sacrosanct.  The Government would void or break them whenever they wanted.  Financial market norms were no longer in effect.

After 2008, I modified my relationship with money and investments.  I valued principal preservation and liquidity over rate of return.  Looking back, I realize this was an over-reaction that cost me potential gains.  But I could live with that for a while and it helped me sleep well at night.

It's easy to be detached from your investments when you don't need cash.  It doesn't take long to become consumed by anxiety when you need cash, but can't get any.  These are the two  opposite emotional emotional extremes that drive my relationship with money and investments, and manifest themselves as financial complacency or financial insecurity.

... I shall continue my post-2008 investment saga on another day.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:02:48 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 03:08:09 am »
Investing is like going to the dog track ... only play with money you can afford to lose.

I evaluate investments based upon will I be able to sleep at night.

Money and financial insecurity are deeply emotional issues that manfiest themselves as risk tolerance.

Everyone has a different opinion about investing.  There is no such thing as consensus, right, or wrong.  You need to be at peace with your investments and undertstand what you are investing in.

Growing up, my family was house rich and cash poor - they bought the house in 1975, never took a second mortgage.  So when I applied to college in 1988/1989 they counted my parents' net equity in our primary residence against my financial aid eligibility.

My parents did what they were taught were the right things ... stayed married, worked hard, stayed out of debt, provided their kids with better lives and more opportunities than they had. 

Only problem, the college financial aid criteria rewarded debt and penalized equity.  What my Canadian neighbors met with a financial aid consultant who had them mortgage 80% of their primary residence equity, which they used to buy a vacation home in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.  On paper, the Canadian neighbors had less equity in their primary residence, thus, they qualified for more financial aid.

At times, the system is not fair - it may penalize what you believe to be right and may reward what you believe to be wrong.

In our current tax regime, earned income is penalized, long-term capital gains are rewarded, and saving money is more tax efficient than increased earned income.

If you believe that all you need to do to succeed is work hard and save, you are setting yourself up for failure.  Government makes the rules, but they also change the rules, sometimes during the game when it benefits them.

Part of my uncle's retirement plan was to buy EE US Savings Bonds.  At the time he bought them, they carried fixed rates and could be rolled over into HH US Bonds tax free - not having to pay capital gains tax on the EE Bonds.  My uncle was an accountant.  He read the IRS tax code for leisure.  As he neared the point of the EE Bonds' maturities, the Federal Government changed the rules - EE Bonds could no longer be rolled into HH Bonds taxfree, and the HH Bonds would pay a variable rate, not a fixed rate, during a time when intertest rates were on a multi-decades long  downward trend.  Unforunately, this was his main retirement plan outside any penions or Social Security.  He put too many eggs in one basket.  His plan didn't work as expected because rules and market conditiions had changed.

Nature manages risk by diversification.  That's a personal investing principle that I choose to heed.  Not only diversifying investments, but also diversifying asset classes, investment vehicles, and financial institutions.  I am highly financially insecure and untrusting. I want to diversify - spread - my investments across mulitple institutions, multiple different account types, and multiple asset classes.  This helps me sleep at night - I know that if my ship sinks, I will not be alone, I will have much company.

Money can ebb and flow like the tides.  My father's maternal grandparents were very wealthy.  A combination of events changed the financial trajectories of their descendants.  My great grandfather lost much money in the Great Stock Crash of 1929, and he committed suicide.  My great grandmother was psychiatrically committed.  Her family stole the money meant her young daughters (my grandmother, my father's mother).  My grandmother grew up poor as a result.  My father grew up poor.  My father and his siblings grew up in a cold water flat and went hungry.  One Winter, a pipe broke and they were able to skate on the dining room floor for much of the Winter.  Well into his 70's and 80's, my uncle kept a pound of bologna and a pound of cheese in his regfrigerator, so he could sleep knowing he would not go hungry the next day.

Financial security is both a reality and an illusion.  It's an illusion because believing it's real helps you sleep well at night.  It's only real if you can access the money when you need it.  When markets crash, liquidity become lacking - there are far more sellers than buyers and market makers may become overwhelmed - unable to fulfill transactions.  I've seen this in 1987, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2008.  When you need cash the most, you may not be able to sell assets for cash - asset rich, cash poor.

2008 was by far the worst I've experienced in my lifetime.  For the first time I can recall, money market funds "broke the buck".  Money market funds were advertised as being safe vehicles without risk to principal.  In 2008, for a brief time, money market funds lost principal value - "broke the buck".

In August 2008, as my wife and I were attempting to adopt, our Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) got pulled without warning.  We lost the line of credit we were going to use to help pay some adoption expenses.  To get cash in the bank, we had to take out a Home Equity Loan at 8%.  The adoption fell through for various reasons.  We used the remainder of the Home Equity Loan to buy new Honda Accords in January 2009 when the dealership was desperate for buyers.  We paid off the home equity loan within 2 years.

Late 2008/early 2009, the Federal Government began picking winners and losers.  They made up rules as they went along.  They were voiding contracts without warning.  They were changing rules as they needed to.  Companies were forced to merge with companies that they didn't want; and later penalized for the liabilities assumed in the merger.  If bankruptcy had been used to merge a "bad" bank with a "good" bank, the "good" bank would not have been fined billions of dollars for the "bad" bank's illegalities.  Contracts were no longer sacrosanct.  The Government would void or break them whenever they wanted.  Financial market norms were no longer in effect.

After 2008, I modified my relationship with money and investments.  I valued principal preservation and liquidity over rate of return.  Looking back, I realize this was an over-reaction that cost me potential gains.  But I could live with that for a while and it helped me sleep well at night.

It's easy to be detached from your investments when you don't need cash.  It doesn't take long to become consumed by anxiety when you need cash, but can't get any.  These are the two  opposite emotional emotional extremes that drive my relationship with money and investments, and manifest themselves as financial complacency or financial insecurity.

... I shall continue my post-2008 investment saga on another day.

@DefiantMassRINO

Really enjoyed your take of your journey through the finanacial jungle we as investors have to plow through.  I agree so much about the concept of being able to sleep at night based on your investment decisons. Mine was a little differnent in that I was obsessive with my monthly review of portfolio and net worth.  I poured the maximum in my company's 401K for 30 years, and was able to reap those benefits, plus as you may have saw in my prior write up, we were also obsessed with living a comfortable life, on the ultimate least amount of expenditures possible. 

Further helping was that fiscal restraint allowed us to live on one of our two salaries, while the other was  fully invested, and again for 30+ years.  I really liked your take of the financial crisis.  '87, '00, and '08 were scary times indeed, but we did pretty well feelng the bottoms of those cycles, and got some bargains that have worked some pretty nice ROI over time.  Like I mentioned, the best time to invest is when everyone is running out.  I will admit, as a retiree, I did not rush in after the COVID panic.  Just because this had a different feel to it, that didn't make me comfortable.....   Especially as a retiree.

Events since Biden's mismanagment started have even given me more of a pall of our economic future.  The spectre of a SHTF scenario was always on my mind,  but I never really truly expected it.  Now it seems much more likely, and I am thinking there is now a >50% chance I will see it in my lifetime.  I am set to live either way, but am saddened what will happen to so many people who will not know what happaned.  Especially in the past 30 years or so, the concept of governmental fiscal responsibility has been forgotten.

You have seemed to take a good common sense methodical approach to reaching your goals.  My goals?  Retire at age 55, and never run out of investment income.  That came easy, but what I was most surprised by, is that net worth still has gone up near 100% (10 years) since then.  That was not expected, but habits are hard to break.  And we take the same care with a $ that we did in 1984.

Great Write Up, I enjoyed reading it.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 12:14:59 am »
Kind of a small tip to increase portfolio diversification.

Years ago I placed an amount of money into a series of I bonds thru TreasuryDirect.gov.

Just recently, I was reading an article on I bonds that realize +7% per year.

A Savings Account Paying 7%?: Series I Savings Bond https://trackyourdividends.com/2022/02/07/series-i-bonds/

When I checked on my own I bonds I have had almost 20 years (I know, i have not been diligent here but the amounts were rather small), I find the net appreciation has gone up 8.16% per year -and all appreciation is tax-deferred.

One is restricted to $10k per year in I bonds, but I plan on taking up placing the maximum in them each year hereinout.

Should be able to beat inflation when other 'savings' are much less.  And since it is not an investment, it poses much less risk in the portfolio.

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 12:46:20 pm »
In case anyone is looking into CD rates lately, they are starting to rise quite substantially in some cases.  I just pulled a 1.65% 18 month CD rate from Ally.

A secure savings plan in cash for short-term needs should be part of everyone's investment planning.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 10:54:42 pm »
In case anyone is looking into CD rates lately, they are starting to rise quite substantially in some cases.  I just pulled a 1.65% 18 month CD rate from Ally.

A secure savings plan in cash for short-term needs should be part of everyone's investment planning.
I see they spruced it up to 1.75% lately, with MM being 0.9%.

At this rate, we will be back to Jimmy Carter days by year end.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 03:11:17 pm »
Update on the precious metals dip.....

12 Jul 2022 10:10 cdt

Gold- $1728/oz.
Silver- $18.86/oz.
Platinum- $854/oz.

Lowest prices in 18 months. Taking account inflation, maybe the best price in nearly 3 years.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 03:15:02 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 03:19:42 pm »
I've accelerated my mortgage principal paydown.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 03:25:48 pm »
Reminds me of an old commodity trader I used to know when I asked him what his best tip was. His response:

Buy low, sell high.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 03:29:51 pm »
OMG, Platinum is almost half the cost of gold.

I'm used to seeing platinum be more expensive than gold.

Is there some wierd precious metals market inversion at work?

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 03:30:41 pm »
I've accelerated my mortgage principal paydown.

Not knowing your exact situation, you may have a sound choice there.

OTOH, if you have have a 2.5% mortgage rate, and bond rates rise to say.....  5%, or CD's even 4%, I'd think you be wanting to skim the interest rare differential.

But OTOH, OTOH, I am guessing you might want pay off your loan, and increase overall cash flow.....  I could see it either way.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 03:37:13 pm »
Reminds me of an old commodity trader I used to know when I asked him what his best tip was. His response:

Buy low, sell high.

I saw (see) it as a decent dip, and increased Au ownership.  What is really strange about the fin news the past week, is it seems only the $USD is doing well, even to the point of sapping strength from the commodities market  Even stranger are the dupes out there who think a Sovereign country that is $31T in debt, and has 129% Debt to GDP ratio, is a flight to financial safety.  It's like Bizarro World.

These still good go lower, but they are bucking the technicals of what I feel are in place, even at a 3 year inflation adjusted low.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 03:39:42 pm »
CD rates are still less than inflation.  It's still a net money loser after inflation and taxes.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 03:41:51 pm »
OMG, Platinum is almost half the cost of gold.

I'm used to seeing platinum be more expensive than gold.

Is there some wierd precious metals market inversion at work?

From what I understand, Pt is a little bit different amimal than Au, in that it has a much more industrial base application need than gold.

Since automakers have rapidly switched from Pt to Pd as metal in catalytic convertors, the overall demand for Pt had dropped.  But honestly, I really don't invest in Pt, so there may be other issues that are effecting its market.