Author Topic: A reminder that credentials do not always equal intelligence  (Read 218 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A reminder that credentials do not always equal intelligence
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:44:27 pm »
December 6, 2021
A reminder that credentials do not always equal intelligence
By Andrea Widburg

Insider (formerly Business Insider) published what was meant to be a heart-rending story about a single mom burdened with $430,000 in student debt and a sick child, all to help promote student loan forgiveness. Instead, the article should remind us that degree jockeys in the liberal arts are, for the most part, incredibly foolish.

“Maria” is a 48-year-old with a Ph.D. in some unidentified major (but it’s clearly in the liberal arts), who took out $360,000 in student loans to get her degree. Insider assures us that Maria was very thoughtful about borrowing the money:

Maria had a goal to teach at a university full-time. Today, she "absolutely" regrets pursuing that goal.

While Maria’s undergraduate education, which she completed in 2001, was funded through scholarships and Pell grants, she knew more advanced degrees would give her a leg up in university teaching — especially as a woman in the industry. So she pursued a master’s degree and a PhD, the latter of which took seven years to complete.

It was not a decision she took lightly, and at the time she believed the commitment would be worth it. Maria, who requested her last name be withheld for privacy reasons, extensively researched the program, and its statistics for employment post-graduation looked promising. However, she was unable to land a full-time university job after graduation in 2014 and found herself unable to afford her student-loan payments.

Now, at 48 years old, Maria’s student-loan balance is $430,000 — all from her advanced degrees, per documents reviewed by Insider.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/12/a_reminder_that_credentials_do_not_always_equal_intelligence.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: A reminder that credentials do not always equal intelligence
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:47:06 pm »
From the article….

Now, at 48 years old, Maria’s student-loan balance is $430,000 — all from her advanced degrees, per documents reviewed by Insider.

Wow

Especially earning a degree that  has limited job opportunities
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 09:20:22 pm »
PhD: Piled high + Deep.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:28:35 pm »
PhD: Piled high + Deep.

One PHD I dated, called it.  PILED HIGH DUNG. 

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 09:34:39 pm »
Student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy just as any other personal loan taken out to build a startup business would be dischargeable.

Other than putting in an initial cooling off period, so that enterprising students (mostly law students, of course) don't go directly from graduation to the bankruptcy court, say about 5 years or so, loans for degrees are tantamount to a personal loan taken out to fund a new business startup.  Plenty of those fail, and the bankruptcy consequences should be substantially similar as well.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:43:57 pm »
Student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy just as any other personal loan taken out to build a startup business would be dischargeable.

Other than putting in an initial cooling off period, so that enterprising students (mostly law students, of course) don't go directly from graduation to the bankruptcy court, say about 5 years or so, loans for degrees are tantamount to a personal loan taken out to fund a new business startup.  Plenty of those fail, and the bankruptcy consequences should be substantially similar as well.

Then they have chapter 13 on their record for about 7 years and their credit score  is in the crapper.  Some people look at credit score for housing, jobs, loans to buy house, any CREDIT CARD.  Kind of like shooting yourself in your foot.  Well, that is how it used to be, maybe DEMON-RATS will figure a way around all that?   

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 09:59:29 pm »
Then they have chapter 13 on their record for about 7 years and their credit score  is in the crapper.  Some people look at credit score for housing, jobs, loans to buy house, any CREDIT CARD.  Kind of like shooting yourself in your foot.  Well, that is how it used to be, maybe DEMON-RATS will figure a way around all that?   

So what?  That's what happens if you have a business loan that goes sour and has to be discharged.  There should be some consequences to being a failed debtor.  I don't agree with the blanket loan forgiveness idea (and I say this as someone who would still, almost 30 year later, still benefit significantly from blanket loan forgiveness).

Also, depending on the details, and the level of income, it could be a chapter 7 and not a chapter 13.

And your credit score stays in the crapper only if you don't start affirmatively rebuilding your credit as soon as you get your discharge.  There are companies that will lend specifically to people who just came out of bankruptcy because, at a minimum, they know those people cannot get another discharge for 7 to 10 years.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 10:07:51 pm »
So what?  That's what happens if you have a business loan that goes sour and has to be discharged.  There should be some consequences to being a failed debtor.  I don't agree with the blanket loan forgiveness idea (and I say this as someone who would still, almost 30 year later, still benefit significantly from blanket loan forgiveness).

Also, depending on the details, and the level of income, it could be a chapter 7 and not a chapter 13.

And your credit score stays in the crapper only if you don't start affirmatively rebuilding your credit as soon as you get your discharge.  There are companies that will lend specifically to people who just came out of bankruptcy because, at a minimum, they know those people cannot get another discharge for 7 to 10 years.

Et too? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-kdgk42h0 

Offline Absalom

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 11:14:53 pm »
Intelligence is a passive characteristic of the Psyche (Soul) as Plato affirmed.
To become functional, it must be aroused thru challenge and curiosity.
Socrates tutored/motivated Plato who did the same for Aristotle.
Consider how deprived these poor things were w/o degrees???
Credentials, born during the Enlightenment, are an integral component
of modern horse manure, having zero to do the intelligence driving creativity.