Author Topic: Hubble inches back to health with 3 out of 4 instruments now running  (Read 374 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Digital Trends By Georgina Torbet 12/4/2021

The Hubble Space Telescope is moving toward recovery after an error caused it to switch into safe mode in late October. Three out of its four (active) instruments are now back up and running as of last week, and no new issues have arisen since the first error was detected.

The problem began on October 25, when there was an error that caused the loss of some data synchronization messages. In order to keep the instruments safe from potentially dangerous erroneous commands, the telescope automatically switched itself to safe mode. This is a mode of only basic operations in which all instruments are shut down.

When the error was discovered, NASA engineers began analyzing the problem and gradually turning instruments on, one at a time, to ensure they can do so safely. In our last update on Hubble, we described how the team had turned on Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys and their plan for turning on the other instruments. Since then, the team also turned on the Wide Field Camera 3 instrument, which captures many of the space images for which Hubble is famous, on November 21.

More: https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/hubble-three-instruments-running/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Hubble inches back to health with 3 out of 4 instruments now running
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 12:28:40 pm »
The energizer bunny of satellites.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:39:17 pm »
The energizer bunny of satellites.

It really is quite amazing.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 02:52:45 pm »
Not many things I consider a good investment when the government is involved spending money.  Hubble is a nice exception.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 03:40:07 pm »
Not many things I consider a good investment when the government is involved spending money.  Hubble is a nice exception.

:thumbsup: