Author Topic: Romney Worried Trump May Win In 2024, Tells Dems How They Can Stop Him  (Read 377 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney Worried Trump May Win In 2024, Tells Dems How They Can Stop Him
 Martin Walsh December 3, 2021

Utah GOP Sen. Mitt Romney is going after Donald Trump — again.

Romney is using his connection with the liberal Washington Post to spread talking points about how Democrats can use the filibuster to stop Trump if he runs for president again and wins re-election.

In an op-ed for the Washington Post, Romney said Democrats should keep the filibuster as a technical strategy to prevent Trump from passing an agenda in the event that he becomes president again.

“Have Democrats thought through what it would mean for them for Trump to be entirely unrestrained, with the Democratic minority having no power whatsoever? If Democrats eliminate the filibuster now, they — and the country — may soon regret it very much,” Romney wrote.

Romney added:

For several years, many of us have recoiled as foundational American institutions have repeatedly been demeaned: The judiciary has been accused of racial bias; the media maligned as the enemy of the people; justice and intelligence agencies belittled; public health agencies dismissed; even our election system has been accused of being rigged.

The United States Senate is one of our vital democratic institutions. Since shortly after our nation’s founding, a single senator has been permitted to speak indefinitely, delaying and possibly impairing legislation favored by the majority, even if that senator were in the minority. When rules were eventually developed to cut off debate, the Senate required that decision to be made by a supermajority of senators, first 67 and now 60.

The power given to the minority and the resulting requirement for political consensus are among the Senate’s defining features.

Consider how different the Senate would be without the filibuster. Whenever one party replaced the other as the majority, tax and spending priorities, safety net programs, national security policy and cultural interests would careen from one extreme to the other, creating uncertainty and unpredictability for families, employers and our partners around the world.

more
https://conservativebrief.com/romney-55674/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Romney Worried Trump May Win In 2024, Tells Dems How They Can Stop Him
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:24:33 pm »
The Senate needs to return to the speaking filibuster.

Those in the minority who wish to obstruct progress should need to exert some level of effort to stymie the majority.

The no-show, no-work filibuster makes it too easy for a few to obstruct the progress of the many.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 02:37:14 pm »
Romney is such a turncoat.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:40:59 pm »
Bush, Bush, McCain, Romney

Boehner, Ryan, McCarthy, McConnell

Want any more proof that the GOP as we know it is our enemy?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 02:57:44 pm »
Whatever works.  The senate is 1 or 2 votes from ending the filibuster and ramming through all sorts of crazy laws before Republicans take the house. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 02:13:33 am »
Romney is such a turncoat.
He's not a turncoat, he was always a RINO just like when he threw the election to Bathhouse Barry. Well I remember his son giving an interview after the loss saying his dad never really wanted to be President. What Mitt is, is an absolute DOUCHE!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 11:20:30 am »
@DCPatriot
@Right_in_Virginia

Want to see the only scenario I vote 3rd party and not vote for Trump in 2024?

Make this woke bitch the VPOTUS choice.....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/nikki-haley-meets-with-trump-amid-2024-speculation
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:21:16 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 01:06:36 pm »
@DCPatriot
@Right_in_Virginia

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/nikki-haley-meets-with-trump-amid-2024-speculation

@catfish1957

Understand feeling the need to add a woman to the 2024 Ticket.

I'm 'terrified' that the Abortion issue is going to screw up all the antagonism the Left has heaped upon themselves this past year.

We will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:39:55 pm »
Contrast that with the Dems who actively help Romney get elected in the primary because they already know he can be stopped.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 02:01:13 pm »
Fortunately the Rats are far too arrogant to listen to him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 08:36:28 pm »
Romney is totally out of his mind!   As a Bishop in the mormon church, he should know better!   He violates two , of their belief systems.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 11:09:49 pm »
DCPatriot considers:
"I'm 'terrified' that the Abortion issue is going to screw up all the antagonism the Left has heaped upon themselves this past year.
We will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

Something a lot of folks refuse to comprehend.

The total overturning of Roe could backfire completely on Republicans and traditional-minded Americans, with consequences no one can yet foresee.

The timing could be damaging as well, since the most controversial cases generally don't get their decisions released until the end of the term (second or third week in June). Coming directly before the midterms, this could become a body blow to the Republicans' hopes to retake the Congress.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 11:16:37 pm »
Whatever works.  The senate is 1 or 2 votes from ending the filibuster and ramming through all sorts of crazy laws before Republicans take the house.

I'm expecting full blown amnesty, changing the electoral process and packing the SCOTUS with liberals. The GOP shouldn't take for granted that they will take the House in the first place.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 11:24:04 pm »
@DCPatriot
@Right_in_Virginia

No worries @catfish1957   "Positive" is the dog whistle for a meeting that went nowhere.  Just ask Romney.   :laugh:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 11:42:06 pm »
No worries @catfish1957   "Positive" is the dog whistle for a meeting that went nowhere.  Just ask Romney.   :laugh:

I would think that Trump will go with someone less controversial; perhaps he'll select someone like Florida Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 01:08:26 am »
I would think that Trump will go with someone less controversial; perhaps he'll select someone like Florida Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez.

Haley brings nothing to the ticket except division. Trump knows this.  Methinks he's just keeping an eye on the opposition.   happy77

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 01:58:44 am »
Haley brings nothing to the ticket except division. Trump knows this.  Methinks he's just keeping an eye on the opposition.   happy77

He's been quiet. I think you are right; he now has the time to sit back and assess various different situations and people. Hopefully he has now learned who he can trust.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 02:25:08 am »
@DCPatriot
@Right_in_Virginia

Heck, I'd much rather see MTG get the nod if he has to have a female VPOTUS.

Between the two of them, they'd drive the media around the bend, and it would be obvious the media had lost it (if it isn't already).

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 02:33:42 am »
DCPatriot considers:
"I'm 'terrified' that the Abortion issue is going to screw up all the antagonism the Left has heaped upon themselves this past year.
We will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

Something a lot of folks refuse to comprehend.

The total overturning of Roe could backfire completely on Republicans and traditional-minded Americans, with consequences no one can yet foresee.

The timing could be damaging as well, since the most controversial cases generally don't get their decisions released until the end of the term (second or third week in June). Coming directly before the midterms, this could become a body blow to the Republicans' hopes to retake the Congress.
Let's look at that.

In terms of GOTV, the Dems got out people who don't exist last time, in the tens of thousands, if not the millions.
There's a limit to how many more votes you can have than voters, before people just say "That's enough, ys crooks!"

For most of us, it was plenty obvious last time.

What if every Democrat eligible got out and voted? WOuld Republicans lose any votes?

Just maybe seeing something--ANYthing move in a conservative direction might energize GOP voters for a change (again).
How many votes are the GOP actually going to lose if Roe is overturned?
I thought the GOP was all "family values" and that package includes pro-life.
SO I don't think it will hurt the GOP, and it might actually help.
I see not being able to murder your child as a slight brake on the lascivious slide America has been on for decades, and a chance to get people to stop and think a little about the consequences of their actions--something essential before America begins the slow climb out of the liberal pit, and a talent that would possibly extend to something besides the rut.

YMMV

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 02:51:39 am »

888high58888

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 02:53:44 am »
Heck, I'd much rather see MTG get the nod if he has to have a female VPOTUS.

Between the two of them, they'd drive the media around the bend, and it would be obvious the media had lost it (if it isn't already).

Love it. lol. But, I don't care for any female president or V. pres.  Heck, don't like them in congress!   IN S.C. !