Author Topic: If the Supremes overturn Roe v. Wade, will it affect the midterms?  (Read 193 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
December 4, 2021
If the Supremes overturn Roe v. Wade, will it affect the midterms?
By Andrea Widburg

This past week, the Supreme Court heard oral argument in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, a case that has the potential to reverse Roe v. Wade. Some justices’ questions left pro-Life people optimistic that Roe is on its way out and pro-abortionists hysterical for the same reason. For leftists, though, the silver lining in losing Roe is that it might galvanize voters in 2022, preventing what looks as if it will be a red tsunami. However, Megan McArdle, a sensible leftist (which sounds like an oxymoron), believes Democrats and progressives are misreading the political tea leaves.

I don’t believe that the Supreme Court will reverse Roe v. Wade. We’ve all seen that Chief Justice Roberts, while conservative on the smaller issues that don’t matter too much to Democrats, is a reliable leftist vote on the big matters, whether it’s Obamacare or same-sex marriage.

The same pattern shows up with Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett: When the Democrats need an outcome, one of them becomes the sacrificial lamb, betraying the Constitution. I won’t speculate why this is so; it’s enough to say that it is what it is. Therefore, I’m pretty sure that, even if Roe v. Wade is blunted slightly, it will continue to exist.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/12/if_the_supremes_overturn_roe_v_wade_will_it_affect_the_midterms.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: If the Supremes overturn Roe v. Wade, will it affect the midterms?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:48 pm »
For reasonable people, it shouldn't.  Congress has continued to abdicate is power regarding abortion law.  Congress forfeited this to the States long ago.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 07:40:42 pm »
To some degree, possibly

Mostly by people who would never vote Republican anyways. There might be an increase in those voters showing up on election night
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 08:30:39 pm »
To some degree, possibly

Mostly by people who would never vote Republican anyways. There might be an increase in those voters showing up on election night

I don't see the SCOTUS ruling in favor of because of Roberts and it's anybody's guess what the 3 appointed newbies will do.  IF the justices rule against, if anything it will discourage Republicans from voting.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 01:24:14 am »
I seriously doubt Roe v Wade will be overturned; --- we know how Roberts reacts to the threat of riots.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 05:08:51 am »
I think Roberts will decide against States rights under the 10th Amendment, but will instead try to rewrite Roe by lowering the viability definition by six weeks.  Breyer could even join him on this.  Kavanaugh, Alito, Gorsuch, and Thomas will all support Mississippi's right to set their own abortion law.  That leaves Barrett, as the unknown.  And I can't see her siding with either Sotomayor/Kagan or with Roberts.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 05:46:02 am »
I seriously doubt Roe v Wade will be overturned; --- we know how Roberts reacts to the threat of riots.

Or how he rules during any important close case.....    Rats have too much dirt of the CJ, and use that card when they need to.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:47:05 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 11:32:36 pm »
Title and presumption:
"If the Supremes overturn Roe v. Wade, will it affect the midterms?"

Anyone who tries to deny this is a-whistlin' past the graveyard.

It will energize the left as not-seen since the 1960s. (or blm/antifa)
it will "tear away" a sizable cohort of so-called "independents" who had been leaning towards the right.
It may even weaken the support of at least some Republican women.

It won't change the political tilt of either the blue or red states (many of the blue states have "abortion rights" written into their state constitutions or laws).
But it could "tip" some of the purple states leftwards again.

There's a good chance The Court will sit on the decision like it does for all major decisions, not releasing it until the end of the current session, which will be mid-June next year. Again... right in time to whip up a political tornado before the midterms.

If the decision comes then, and if it substantially or totally voids Roe, then expect this to become "the issue" for the midterms.

Can't, and won't predict which side will make the most of it.
We shall see.

Hmmm....
Who here remembers the Pogo cartoon:
"The Supreme Court follows the illiction returns..."   ???

The conservatives on The Court realize what it will mean to toss Roe.
For that reason, I'm predicting that whatever decision they render is going to be very narrow in scope...

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 11:38:12 pm »
I think Roberts will decide against States rights under the 10th Amendment, but will instead try to rewrite Roe by lowering the viability definition by six weeks.  Breyer could even join him on this.  Kavanaugh, Alito, Gorsuch, and Thomas will all support Mississippi's right to set their own abortion law.  That leaves Barrett, as the unknown.  And I can't see her siding with either Sotomayor/Kagan or with Roberts.

I'm not so sure about the 3 newbies....though they are supposedly conservative. Roberts has always been the wild card and more times than not he's ruled more liberally.

I think the newbies just may surprise us and vote against Mississippi's rights.  That will open up a whole can of worms.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.