Author Topic: Misremembering Pearl Harbor By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 130 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Misremembering Pearl Harbor By Victor Davis Hanson
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:38:28 pm »
Misremembering Pearl Harbor

The tactically brilliant but strategically crazy attack on Pearl Harbor unleashed incalculable furor against a once sophisticated Japanese empire, which foolishly attacked the United States at peace.

By Victor Davis Hanson
December 5, 2021

Most Americans once were mostly in agreement about what happened on December 7, 1941, 80 years ago this year. But not so much now, given either the neglect of America’s past in the schools or woke revisionism at odds with the truth.

The Pacific war that followed Pearl Harbor was not a result of America egging on the Japanese, not about starting a race war, and not about much other than a confident and cruel Japanese empire falsely assuming that its stronger American rival either would not or could not stop its transoceanic ambitions.

On an early Sunday morning at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the Japanese Imperial Navy conducted a tactically successful, but strategically imbecilic, surprise attack on the U.S. 7th Fleet—while at peace and without a declaration of war. The assault—synchronized with subsequent bombing and invasions of the Philippines and British-controlled Malaya, Singapore, and Hong Kong, and some Pacific Islands—did not just ensure an existential Pacific theater war between Japan and America. It also prompted the entry of the United States on December 11 into the European theater of World War II, after both Italy and Nazi Germany first declared war on America. Had the latter not done so, it is arguable that the United States would have instead concentrated on Japan alone and might have knocked it out of the war even earlier.

Revisionists often cite conspiracy theories that the Roosevelt Administration lured Japan into the war by previously limiting oil exports to Tokyo (a mere five months before Pearl Harbor) or by foolishly moving the 7th Fleet from San Diego to a deliberately exposed and not so well defended Pearl Harbor.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2021/12/05/misremembering-pearl-harbor/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Misremembering Pearl Harbor By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 02:27:14 pm »

I am a fan of Hansen but he has overstated his position in the article.

Japan's attack did get the US into the war. But the majority of the article is weakly stated
and I think entirely wrong.

The US had cracked the Japanese Purple code, used mostly for high level communications
and knew an attack was eminent. But where?

Part of the code interception was in Hawaii and that information was withheld from Admiral
Kimmel. Read his book. The prior Admiral there went to Washington to request that the
fleet be moved to California and was relived by Roosevelt. Roosevelt wanted an excuse
to enter the war, and didn't wish to risk the Japanese getting wind of it.

I can't recall the Admiral's name who Roosevelt removed from Hawaii, but the Admiral
wished to remove the fleet exposure from 360 degrees to 180 degrees.

Admiral Kimmel’s Story  Admiral Husband E. Kimmel

See Also  The Final Secret Of Pearl Harbor by Rear Admiral Robert A. Theobald"When Captain
Laurance Frye Safford, U.S. Navy, disclosed to me the data which had been buried in the secret
files or destroyed, he put in jeopardy his whole naval career. This step took courage, honesty,
and a high standard of duty. Before the disclosures tome I had known Captain Safford only
casually. He had my respect for his attainments in his chosen field, cryptoanalysis, in which he
was tops."  HUSBAND E. KIMMEL

Gary Dean Be
st wrote several books about Franklin Roosevelt and none are complimentary.
Reading them will pull away the rosy picture and sainthood that the left and the press has painted.

Pride, Prejudice, and Politics: Roosevelt Versus Recovery, 1933-1938

FDR and the Bonus Marchers, 1933-1935
Excellent account about how the Bonus marchers were sent to the Florida Keys for jobs
and left to the mercy of a Hurricane. Earnest Hemmingway article included in the book
and paints the sad outcome.

The Critical Press and the New Deal: The Press Versus Presidential Power, 1933-1938

Books by Gary Dean Best
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/167730.Gary_Dean_Best

I have read all the above Roosevelt books and they are eye opening. I do have some personal notes.
I also read the Kimmel book and it confirmed much of what I thought at the time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:47:50 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:29:51 pm »
:rolleyes:

Yes, it was all a dastardly plan of those illuminati NWO types to get a poor, innocent U.S. into a war that would disadvantage it.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 03:09:09 pm »

Yes, it was all a dastardly plan of those illuminati NWO types to get a poor, innocent U.S. into a war that would disadvantage it.

This is revisonist child's play versus the attack last 10 years of anything southern , confederate, or anything having to do with southern heritage. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.