Author Topic: Parents of Oxford school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley charged with involuntary manslaughter  (Read 3497 times)

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
I'm pretty sure that's unconstitutional at least, looking back at English Common Law, with the prohibitions against "ancestral sins."
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline goatprairie

Would they have ruled the same way of the shooter had been a minority?  My guess is no.
There are multiple mass shootings every week perpetrated by minorities. I read the daily news from a number of major American cities regularly.
If they started charging the parents of many mass shooters, the race card would be used be very quickly.
The facts are there are evil people who do evil things. I seriously doubt the parents of the kid in the Oxford shooting wanted him to go out and kill people.
Charging the parents of killers with crimes will open up a can of worms that will most likely be unconstitutional.

Online mountaineer

Why the sentence imposed on Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley is significant
CNN
 6:41 PM EST Dec 9, 2023

More than two years after Michigan’s deadliest school shooting, a judge imposed a historic sentence – and the harshest possible penalty – for the teenage gunman.

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Kwamé Rowe sentenced Ethan Crumbley, 17, on Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the November 2021 shooting that left four students dead at Oxford High School. Six other students and a teacher were also wounded in the attack.
Advertisement

It’s a punishment that has become both rare and a point of contention over concerns about sentencing a minor to die in a cell before they reach full maturity.

Crumbley, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, became the first minor to receive an original sentence of life without the possibility of parole in more than a decade since the U.S. Supreme Court in 2012 banned mandatory life sentences for juveniles and ruled courts should consider the circumstances of each defendant and their maturity before such punishments are handed down. ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why the sentence imposed on Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley is significant
CNN
 6:41 PM EST Dec 9, 2023

More than two years after Michigan’s deadliest school shooting, a judge imposed a historic sentence – and the harshest possible penalty – for the teenage gunman.

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Kwamé Rowe sentenced Ethan Crumbley, 17, on Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the November 2021 shooting that left four students dead at Oxford High School. Six other students and a teacher were also wounded in the attack.
Advertisement

It’s a punishment that has become both rare and a point of contention over concerns about sentencing a minor to die in a cell before they reach full maturity.

Crumbley, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, became the first minor to receive an original sentence of life without the possibility of parole in more than a decade since the U.S. Supreme Court in 2012 banned mandatory life sentences for juveniles and ruled courts should consider the circumstances of each defendant and their maturity before such punishments are handed down. ...
More

@mountaineer

Ok,so where is the report about his parents being charged with involuntary manslaughter for what their son did?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Ok,so where is the report about his parents being charged with involuntary manslaughter for what their son did?
I don't know what became of that.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@mountaineer

When a child commits a mass shooting, are parents to blame?

BBC By Madeline Halpert 12/8/2023

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67571551

But the case has raised questions about who else can be held accountable for a mass shooting when a child pulls the trigger. It was Crumbley's parents who gifted him the weapon he used just days before the attack, and they also attempted to flee after being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

James and Jennifer Crumbley have pleaded not guilty and will face two separate trials in 2024. It marks the first time parents will face manslaughter charges - punishable by up to 15 years in prison - for their child's role in a mass school shooting, experts told the BBC.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
When a child commits a mass shooting, are parents to blame?

BBC By Madeline Halpert 12/8/2023

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67571551

@Elderberry

I can see them being charged with  negligence,but nothing more serious.

I REALLY hope some hotshot law firm steps up to the plate on this one,and gets those charges dropped.

Offline goatprairie

@Elderberry

I REALLY hope some hotshot law firm steps up to the plate on this one,and gets those charges dropped.
Yes, maybe negligence. But if they start charging the parents of every murderer or violent offender in the U.S., there will be a lot of innocent people tossed into the clink because their child was a very bad egg.
It can't be constitutional. I seriously doubt Jeffrey Dahmer's parents prepared him for a career as a killer cannibal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes, maybe negligence. But if they start charging the parents of every murderer or violent offender in the U.S., there will be a lot of innocent people tossed into the clink because their child was a very bad egg.
It can't be constitutional. I seriously doubt Jeffrey Dahmer's parents prepared him for a career as a killer cannibal.

@goatprairie

Well,the good news here FOR THE TIME BEING is that is allowed to  happen in England.

Which means the 'murikan left is eaten  alive with envy  and sure to try to get laws passed making that legal in the US.

Offline verga

@Elderberry

I depends on the circumstance. If you have a child that has a history of being abusive to animals, smaller children, etc.... and you knowingly supply him with a weapon than you are clearly contributing. Think of it this way if you have a relative that you know is a pyromaniac and you give him matches and gasoline as a Christmas present, you can't be surprised when it burns down the house.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I depends on the circumstance. If you have a child that has a history of being abusive to animals, smaller children, etc.... and you knowingly supply him with a weapon than you are clearly contributing. Think of it this way if you have a relative that you know is a pyromaniac and you give him matches and gasoline as a Christmas present, you can't be surprised when it burns down the house.

@verga

I agree,but my post was based on what has been reported.

Online mountaineer

Feb. 6, 2024 UPDATE
Mom of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley convicted of manslaughter in son’s rampage
By Social Links for Isabel Keane
Published Feb. 6, 2024, 1:30 p.m. ET
New York Post
Jennifer Crumbley was found guilty of four counts of manslaughter Tuesday — the first parent in the US to be charged over a mass school shooting committed by their child.

Marketing Director Crumbley, 45, was convicted over her role in the Nov. 30, 2021 mass shooting carried out by her son, Ethan Crumbley, at Oxford High School which left four students dead alongside six others and a teacher wounded.

The 12-person jury, made up of six men and six women, reached their decision in Oxford, Michigan on Tuesday after 10 hours of weighing the case. ...

James Crumbley, Ethan’s father, will be tried on the same charges separately at a later date.  ...

Prosecutors say Crumbley made a gun accessible to her son, ignored his mental health struggles and declined to take him home when confronted with his violent drawings at school on the day of the shooting. ...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 07:22:18 pm by mountaineer »

Offline rustynail

This verdict could send jurisprudence in a bad direction.

Offline berdie

I wasn't on the jury and didn't hear what they did....but on the surface this decision this could be a very damaging precedent.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This verdict could send jurisprudence in a bad direction.

@rustynail

I agree.

I think it is "A  bridge too far".

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Agreed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yabbut...If you give them bottles, an umbrella, and gasoline, fill their heads with Leftist mush (or allow it), and point them to the local Precinct, no one will come after you.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Precedent setting....

Don't laugh at this example. but....    16 y.o. kills a family in a car wreck, and the parents are convicted because somehow the kid got into the liquor cabinet.  or even more extreme.  Cause of wreck was determined to be child's inadequate driving skills, and parents are convicted for not adequately training their child to drive.

This could be a slippery slope.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

Precedent setting....

Don't laugh at this example. but....    16 y.o. kills a family in a car wreck, and the parents are convicted because somehow the kid got into the liquor cabinet.  or even more extreme.  Cause of wreck was determined to be child's inadequate driving skills, and parents are convicted for not adequately training their child to drive.

27+ years of teaching high school students in Rural, suburban, and urban schools in three states. 90%+ When you meet the parents you know exactly why the kid is the way they are, and that is good and bad. 3 years ago I had a kid as a freshman, complete jerk. Constantly getting into trouble in and out of school, but he is what we call Ag Royalty, so everything got swept under the rug with Daddy's money. Last year he had a picture taken of him holding a sign that said "If I was BXXXK I would pick cotton, but I am white so I pick you to go to Homecoming." He took the picture at our school and at the Career and Technical center. He published it on Social Media and it went viral. He got suspended for 10 days and had to homeschool the ret of the year. He could still attend the Career and Technical Center, until he got caught Vaping in the building. Then to top it off right before the prom his underage @$$ got caught drinking and driving with his underage female cousin in the car. One of our administrators commented to me about it and my response was that this does not happen in a vacuum. Daddy drinks to much and is a racist, IO am just surprised it took this long.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Precedent setting....

@catfish1957

COULD be a slippery slope?????

Personal Injury  lawyers all over the country are having spontaneous orgasms.