Author Topic: U.S. has rock solid commitment to help Taiwan defend itself -official  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. has rock solid commitment to help Taiwan defend itself -official
Reuters

SINGAPORE, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Threats and coercion by China towards Taiwan increase the need for the United States to help Taiwan maintain a credible self-defense, the top U.S. diplomat for Asia said on Thursday.

Assistant Secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Kritenbrink, speaking in Singapore during a visit to Southeast Asia, said the U.S. has a rock solid commitment to assist Taiwan.

"As the threat and coercion from the People's Republic of China increases, I think we need to respond as well in an appropriate way," Kritenbrink told reporters in Singapore, specifically citing support over self-defence and trade.

"We intend to live up to our obligations, our rock solid obligations and commitments," he added.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/us-has-rock-solid-obligations-assist-taiwan-official-2021-12-02/

Offline Kamaji

Re: U.S. has rock solid commitment to help Taiwan defend itself -official
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:50:02 pm »
Those brand-new CRT textbooks will be on the next cargo plane to Taiwan!

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 02:51:36 pm »

U.S. has rock solid commitment to help Taiwan defend itself -official

Interesting wording.  Does this mean the US is committed to training South Korean troops but not putting our troops in combat? :shrug:

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:54:21 pm »
Those brand-new CRT textbooks will be on the next cargo plane to Taiwan!

I hear the military is putting together a study guide of Ann Landers columns to help with PC. ////00000////

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:35 pm »
Only if they are all vaccinated and wear masks

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 02:58:58 pm »
I hear the military is putting together a study guide of Ann Landers columns to help with PC. ////00000////

And pronoun usage - they'll definitely be training the ROC troops on pronoun usage; God forbid any Taiwanese soldier should use the wrong pronoun with his American counterparts, or worse yet, any Chinese soldiers.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 03:00:11 pm »
Assistant Secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Kritenbrink, speaking in Singapore during a visit to Southeast Asia, said the U.S. has a rock solid commitment to assist Taiwan.

"As the threat and coercion from the People's Republic of China increases, I think we need to respond as well in an appropriate way," Kritenbrink told reporters in Singapore, specifically citing support over self-defence and trade.

"We intend to live up to our obligations, our rock solid obligations and commitments," he added.

In other words, Taiwan is on its own.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 03:00:45 pm »
In other words, Taiwan is on its own.

In a word?  Yes.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 03:12:07 pm »
I once worked the a South Korean sailor for about a week.  I worked in meteorology and he was from a mine sweeper but was assigned to my division anyway.  One big problem though was he didn't speak any English.  One of my shipmates, whom we called Lurch, decided to teach Ha some "appropriate" English.  For about 5 days Lurch and Ha worked on the "proper" way to greet an officer.  On the 6th day Lurch decided Ha was ready to greet our division office - a Lt. Cdr.  As he came into the office Ha got right in from of him and greeted him with the "English" he had been taught.  He smiled and said in a firm voice "f*ck you" to which the officer said "lurch, have you been teaching Ha English?"  Thankfully, the Lt. Cdr. was a fun guy and didn't take offense.