Author Topic: Two U-2s touch down in Cyprus: U.S. moving spyplanes closer to Syria  (Read 104 times)

rangerrebew

Two U-2s touch down in Cyprus: U.S. moving spyplanes closer to Syria
August 29, 2013 Syria, Troubled Areas
Richard Clements

Journalist Andrew Potter based near the British air base at Akrotiri, Cyprus, reported (via Twitter) that two U-2 spyplanes arrived there in the afternoon of Aug. 29.

One U-2 had left RAF Fairford early in the morning and was plotted until it entered the French airspace: although its final destination is unknown, is safe to assume it went to Akrotiri.

Potter mentioned that the first U-2 to arrive made two attempts to land where as the second had no issues.

There are no reports of a second U-2 leaving Fairford before or after the reported departure, it must have come from elsewhere, possibly from a U.S. base in the Middle East, as Al Dhafra, in the UAE.

A further three U-2 examples are currently housed at RAF Fairford (UK); whether they stay there or move on to Akrotiri remains to be seen.

The arrival of the first two Dragon Lady aircraft amid growing tensions for the imminent U.S. attack and consequent build-up is a sort of mystery.

https://theaviationist.com/2013/08/29/u-2-akrotiri/?fb_source=pubv1#.Uh-ldH95GSo

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Two U-2s touch down in Cyprus: U.S. moving spyplanes closer to Syria
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 11:52:22 am »
"...the first U-2 to arrive made two attempts to land where as the second had no issues."

Unless the chase car was doing its job on those 2 "attempts", I'm going with the first was "shooting approaches" and is part of their pilot proficiency requirements...it also counts towards their flight time and pay.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:38:52 pm »
Well, the Democrats have made such a cock-up of their Administration so far, I would not be surprised that they would start another war to make some show of being competent. Of course, by then the 'woke levels' of all units will be assessed, and those least 'woke' will be most likely to be deployed, retaining the most woke for the next step.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:18:20 pm »
Well, the Democrats have made such a cock-up of their Administration so far, I would not be surprised that they would start another war to make some show of being competent. 

Not a chance.  Milley is still the head Cajuna, after all. :truce: