Author Topic: WaPo: ‘How climate change & extreme weather are crimping America’s pie supply’  (Read 280 times)

rangerrebew

WaPo: ‘How climate change & extreme weather are crimping America’s pie supply’

WaPo: For months, supply chain issues and labor shortages have been putting the squeeze on Mike’s Pies...But another powerful factor — climate change — is heightening those challenges. Its impact is less visible but more enduring, and its consequences are playing out right as the food industry is struggling to avoid holiday season shortages. Many of the ingredients in Mike’s Pies’ pies — wheat, berries, honey, soybean oil, among numerous others — have been hit hard by climate and weather effects, including droughts, wildfires and power shutdowns around the world. ... “We’re seeing more dramatic weather shifts, [and] these factors influence dairymen in these parts of the country,” said Galloway, who buys most of his milk from Wisconsin.
“There is no place to run and hide from extreme weather events,” said Michael Swanson, Wells Fargo’s chief agricultural economist. ... One of the contract packagers the company works with was shut down for six weeks because it couldn’t get plastic bags, fallout from last winter’s polar vortex in Texas, which triggered a global plastics shortage.

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotNovember 18, 2021 9:17 AM

https://www.climatedepot.com/2021/11/18/wapo-how-climate-change-extreme-weather-are-crimping-americas-pie-supply/

rangerrebew

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 :pondering: Maybe Mik'es pies are having so much trouble because all the bakers around me are getting all the supplies first? There is no shortage of pies in stores, pie shops and restaurants around me............damned Californian's must be screwing the rest of the country out their pies.

Offline roamer_1

:pondering: Maybe Mik'es pies are having so much trouble because all the bakers around me are getting all the supplies first? There is no shortage of pies in stores, pie shops and restaurants around me............damned Californian's must be screwing the rest of the country out their pies.

Not up in here... And no self-respecting redneck gal will buy a pie off the rack anyhoo.

We'll be fine.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Not up in here... And no self-respecting redneck gal will buy a pie off the rack anyhoo.

We'll be fine.
We have pumpkin on the shelves, pecans, walnuts, fresh apples and berries for those who bake their own but not everybody does. We haven't made pies in a while more into pumpkin bread, Piskota torte and Dobos torte. It's not that pie isn't good bot the Hungarian deserts are just BETTER.

Offline roamer_1

We have pumpkin on the shelves, pecans, walnuts, fresh apples and berries for those who bake their own but not everybody does. We haven't made pies in a while more into pumpkin bread, Piskota torte and Dobos torte. It's not that pie isn't good bot the Hungarian deserts are just BETTER.

Oh, I don't know... I ain't ever been one to turn down pie.  :whistle:

I ain't got so much right here, though I do have a case of apple pie filling pints (I have an apple crisp dependency), But there's enough fixins down at the ranch to keep us in pie for years. And we can always grow more, other than pecan and walnut. And if we fall bad on pumpkin (It can be touchy to grow up in here) there's sweet potatoes all the same.  :beer:

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline LegalAmerican

Dobos Tort....Yes.  Yummy. 

Just made my yearly pumpkin bread. Put one in freezer.