Author Topic: Gov. Kathy Hochul orders elective surgery canceled amid COVID spike, Omicron  (Read 346 times)

Offline mountaineer

Gov. Kathy Hochul orders elective surgery canceled amid COVID spike, Omicron
 By Carl Campanile   
November 26, 2021 6:38pm
Here we go again.

Gov. Kathy Hochul signed an executive order Friday to postpone elective hospital surgeries — something that hasn’t been done since the worst of the initial coronavirus outbreak last year.

Hochul said she made the move to deal with staffing shortages and boost bed capacity amid an anticipated “spike” in new cases and the emergence of the new Omicron variant in South Africa. The strain is named after a letter of the Greek alphabet.

“We’ve taken extraordinary action to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and combat this pandemic. However, we continue to see warning signs of spikes this upcoming winter, and while the new Omicron variant has yet to be detected in New York State, it’s coming,” Hochul said.

“In preparation, I am announcing urgent steps today to expand hospital capacity and help ensure our hospital systems can tackle any challenges posed by the pandemic as we head into the winter months. The vaccine remains one of our greatest weapons in fighting the pandemic, and I encourage every New Yorker to get vaccinated, and get the booster if you’re fully vaccinated.” ...
Full story at NY Post

Boy, that was quick. They just came up with the latest variant, and the governor sprang into action. What constitutes elective surgery, though, and who is she to decide? Before my hip replacement, I was in excruciating pain and could barely take a few steps. Thankfully, I got the surgery just weeks before the first Covid shutdowns in 2020, or I'd still be screaming in pain today, I guess.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

Such. b.s.  How about having a problem....and NOT GUESSING.  Then do something.

Offline Hoodat

Gee that was fast.  Not that they could have done these surgeries anyway considering the number of healthcare workers that have been let go due to the previous mandate.

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"But Master, you said you'd fix this hump."

Igor.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

New York declares a health-care state of emergency over a Covid variant that doesn’t exist in the state
Guess what’s actually causing the crisis? Hint: it rhymes with “vaccine schmandate.”   
Alex Berenson
Nov 27   

Now this is a lie so brazen even Andrew Cuomo might hesitate to tell it.

New York’s new and unimproved governor, Kathy Hochul, last seen telling you to Get Vaxxed For Jesus (I kid you not), has now declared a “state of emergency” that will allow Health Department bureaucrats to block “non-urgent” medical procedures at hospitals. Because who needs a colonoscopy, anyway?

Hochul says the Xi - I mean Omicron, definitely not Xi! - variant is behind the emergency.

This explanation would be more compelling if even one case of Omicron had been detected ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Gee, I wonder what’s really causing the hospital bed shortages? [Nurses and other hospital staff quitting to avoid vax mandate, he speculates]  Oh well, total mystery.

Nothing to do with the vaccine mandate that went into effect Monday, you can be sure of that. Don’t worry, though, those crack reporters at the NY Times will grill Hochul until the truth comes out!...

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/new-york-declares-a-health-care-state

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Gov. Kathy Hochul orders elective surgery canceled amid COVID spike, Omicron
 By Carl Campanile   
November 26, 2021 6:38pmFull story at NY Post

Boy, that was quick. They just came up with the latest variant, and the governor sprang into action. What constitutes elective surgery, though, and who is she to decide? Before my hip replacement, I was in excruciating pain and could barely take a few steps. Thankfully, I got the surgery just weeks before the first Covid shutdowns in 2020, or I'd still be screaming in pain today, I guess.
My guess is joint replacements will be considered elective, so what if a person can't get around, with Covid you shouldn't be leaving you your home. And so what if you are in excruciating pain 24/7 that's what opioids are for, oops, forgot we have to extremely limit opioids to those in chronic pain because of drug addicts. I may not be screaming in pain, but does make me even a bigger ass (if possible) to be around.

Not that I want to have any more surgeries but just got results from my latest MRI and the last two factory original disks in my neck are failing and more damage in my lumbar region so it will really suck if Noisome does the same here in California or they start putting more draconian limits on opiods because of people with addictive personalities and China flooding the streets with drugs.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thee sad part of all this is that the initial reports of Omicrron Variant cases indicate the disease is mild, primarily causing fatigue.  Watch cases be reported, but few (if any) deaths.

Emphasis has switched to cases anyway, because bigger numbers are scarier and don't prompt people to assess their odds as in a case to death ratio.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"But Master, you said you'd fix this hump."

Igor.
What hump? Walk this way...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Not that I want to have any more surgeries but just got results from my latest MRI and the last two factory original disks in my neck are failing and more damage in my lumbar region so it will really suck if Noisome does the same here in California or they start putting more draconian limits on opiods because of people with addictive personalities and China flooding the streets with drugs.
I'm facing spinal fusion in my neck as soon as the insurance company grants approval. Gee, I hope my governor doesn't intervene. Actually, another state's governor would be involved, as I'll be crossing state lines (!!!) for the surgery.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm facing spinal fusion in my neck as soon as the insurance company grants approval. Gee, I hope my governor doesn't intervene. Actually, another state's governor would be involved, as I'll be crossing state lines (!!!) for the surgery.
I never considered the replacement of four disks elective surgery considering that they were causing some pretty serious nerve damage. The replacement and fusion didn't reverse the damage but did keep it from getting worse. Actually the worst part of the whole deal was having to wear an electro magnet around my neck for hours at a time to promote the acceptance and healing of the cadav, er, donor bone they used for the replacement disks.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

She is issuing an edict against freedom.

I wonder what will be pulled next?

No unvaccinated can grab a taxi or visit a grocery store?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Polly Ticks

Looks like this version has a side effect of power trips.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra