Author Topic: Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There goes another organization off my list of places to possibly donate money.
and I WAS going to write them a nice check.

St. Jude's gets it instead.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
This is so incredible, it feels like we're being punked.  8888crybaby Who is left to trust?

BTW, I like the idea of dropping a "message" in the kettle. "Go woke, go broke" would probably get it said, but there might be some more thoughtful ways as well if someone could provide them with a written explanation of why their venture into radical racial issues serves neither them nor their mission well.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Yep, the Salvation Army has just changed directions 180 degrees. Never again.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline art.prout

I am shocked and stunned by this.

I always made a point to get my stuff to an SA drop point or store...  I believed that they did the best with getting it into the right hands in a fair and reasonable manner...

No more.

Sorry.

I can not support this kind of "woke-ism."

:nono:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I didn't believe it either and searched for confirmation and there is... It is true...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jun/24/salvation-army-going-woke-anti-racism-document/

I sort of scanned the article.  Did it say these guidelines were written by the International Org body in London?  Which figures if so.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

YES!,YES!

St.Judes gets half of my estate after expenses,and Feline Hope gets the other half.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Salvation Army wants its white donors to give it more than just money this Christmas season. Its leadership is also demanding they apologize for being racist.

It's part of a push by the Christian charitable organization to embrace the ideas of Black Lives Matter, an activist group working to, among other things, "dismantle white privilege" and "disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure."

The Salvation Army's Alexandria-based leadership has created an "International Social Justice Commission" which has developed and released a "resource" to educate its white donors, volunteers and employees called Let's Talk about Racism. It asserts Christianity is institutionally racist, calling for white Christians to repent and offer "a sincere apology" to blacks for being "antagonistic.. to black people or the culture, values and interests of the black community."

"Many have come to believe that we live in a post-racial society, but racism is very real for our brothers and sisters who are refused jobs and housing, denied basic rights and brutalized and oppressed simply because of the color of their skin," one lesson explains. "There is an urgent need for Christians to evaluate racist attitudes and practices in light of our faith, and to live faithfully in today’s world."

In an accompanying Study Guide on Racism, Salvation Army authors explain that all whites are racist, even if they don't realize it.

“The subtle nature of racism is such that people who are not consciously racist easily function with the privileges, empowerment and benefits of the dominant ethnicity, thus unintentionally perpetuating injustice," it says.

"Sunday school curriculum that only uses white photography and imagery" is an example given that perpetuates injustice.

"We must stop denying the existence of individual and systemic/ institutional racism. They exist, and are still at work to keep White Americans in power," the lesson says.

"These systems give privileges to white people"
https://centralnovanews.com/stories/613274980-along-with-coins-this-christmas-salvation-army-wants-white-donors-to-offer-a-sincere-apology-for-their-racism
I have been giving to Salvation Army for decades.

That will now stop.  These National charities such as SA or Catholic Charities are too subject to becoming pious idiots so I will take my charities to a more local level now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:21:24 pm by mystery-ak »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Kamaji

We should write that on a dollar bill-sized piece of paper and drop it in the kettle.

I like that! 

Offline dfwgator

FUSA!

Offline Mod2

Merged threads

Offline libertybele

We took a trip one year and stopped in Memphis and had the opportunity to visit the St. Jude headquarters.  I've donated ever since.  To look at some of the faces of these kids and realize that they are battling cancer at such a young age is heartbreaking. 

This year I received a Happy Mother's Day card from one of the parents with a thank you. I broke down and cried. Yes, I realize others received a card as well, but the thought that I touched the life of a little one and her mom brought me to tears.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

Most charities money,  goes to HIGH SALARIES working at charity. Those in charge.  Helping your neighbor directly is MORE EFFECTIVE than giving to any charity.  Charity's is a money making organization, like any other.  Buy some elderly persons groceries in the store.  Offer to give them a ride to a doctors appointment.   Help people.  Forget charities.  Charity begins at home.

Offline goatprairie

The wife and I have dropped hundreds of dollars yearly into SA kettles. That ended after they started their social justice crusade.
 I feel sorry for the bell ringers, but if the idiot people at the top don't get the message, they won't stop this SJ crap.

Offline berdie

This s one of the most disappointing stories I read lately.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Most charities money,  goes to HIGH SALARIES working at charity. Those in charge.  Helping your neighbor directly is MORE EFFECTIVE than giving to any charity.  Charity's is a money making organization, like any other.  Buy some elderly persons groceries in the store.  Offer to give them a ride to a doctors appointment.   Help people.  Forget charities.  Charity begins at home.

@LegalAmerican

Hard to do that after you are dead.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

Offline LegalAmerican

@LegalAmerican

Hard to do that after you are dead.

I would help you.  Make homemade soups for you. Take you to appointments.  I get it.  I am a cancer survivor.  4 months chemo, 7 weeks radiation.  I do,  what I can,  while I am alive in my own neighborhood.  You need some TLC.  :flag:

Offline LegalAmerican

@dfwgator

That reads like eff the USA.

Yup.  FU, SA. FU-SA.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I would help you.  Make homemade soups for you. Take you to appointments.  I get it.  I am a cancer survivor.  4 months chemo, 7 weeks radiation.  I do,  what I can,  while I am alive in my own neighborhood.  You need some TLC.  :flag:

@LegalAmerican

I have a couple of friends that come by to feed my shop cats and bring me groceries on the rare days I can't do it myself.

I was just making a comment in reaction to the poster that suggest personally making donations. Kinda hard to do that after you die. All you CAN do is try to use your best judgement and hope for the best.

Online roamer_1

I think I am going to get some 'Get Woke Go Broke' business cards made up... Easy enough to carry, and the point would be made...

Online mountaineer

Mr. M was on the board of the local SA for a while, but quit when he saw how their focus was not even close to "Salvation," but just giving expensive toys away to children at Christmas. He witnessed people driving up in Escalades to pick up their pile of free goodies.

Now that their focus seems to be anti-white racism, the heck with them. We support certain charities that don't waste our gifts on pushing Critical Race Theory, e.g., Samaritan's Purse, Magen David Adom, our own congregation, the local VFD.

St. Jude's and Shriners Hospital do appear to be doing good work, too, with no political agenda.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

TRUE.

I prefer direct charity - Not through a church or non-profit. Find someone who needs it and leave a couple Benjamins where they will find it. It is one of my favorite things, because they could never prove it was you.  happy77
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:46:52 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

International Positional Statement
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cache.salvationarmy.org/7d3c015c-1af5-4211-830f-b7b0c6a65898_English+Racism+IPS.pdf

This has all the earmarks of a shakedown.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:47:33 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline Idiot

I'm shocked to find that everything posted about the Salvation Army on this board is true.  As a matter of fact I received a letter from them today asking for money.  It's going straight in the trash.  I guess this year I'll be supporting more of our local non-profits.

Sooooo disappointing....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
But they'll take the money, I'm sure.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024