Author Topic: Turley: After the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict could a defamation lawsuit or DOJ investigation be next?  (Read 129 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
After the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict could a defamation lawsuit or DOJ investigation be next?
It is a dangerous precedent to investigate jury decisions simply because you disagree with their decisions

By Jonathan Turley | Fox News

In the aftermath of the Rittenhouse verdict, figures on both sides of the case are threatening new filings and investigations.

It seems likely that the case will move into a new stage of litigation, particularly civil litigation. However, advocates on both sides may be overstating the basis for a Rittenhouse 2.0.  These lawsuits can come with risks and considerable costs. That is why Voltaire once lamented "I was never ruined but twice: once when I lost a lawsuit, and once when I won one."

Here’s a look at how things could go:

RITTENHOUSE AS A FUTURE DEFENDANT
Federal Action from the Justice Department

Immediately following the verdict, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler called for the Justice Department to investigate the "miscarriage of justice." Others have called for a federal civil rights case against Rittenhouse.

The Justice Department does not have an office for the prosecution of "miscarriages of justice" due to errant jury decisions.

Rittenhouse was acquitted on state charges by a state jury. Moreover, while some have called for reducing self-defense protections, the jury applied the law as it currently appears on the books. It is not allowed to simply ignore the law to seek our own criminal justice rules.

The Rittenhouse jury faithfully applied the Wisconsin law and came to a well-founded verdict of acquittal. It is a dangerous precedent to investigate jury decisions simply because you disagree with their decisions.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/kyle-rittenhouse-verdict-defamation-lawsuit-doj-investigation
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah. All y'all Democrats conspire with the DOJ to violate 18 USC, Sec 241. This statute makes it unlawful for two or more persons to conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person of any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the United States, (or because of his/her having ...

Federal Civil Rights Statutes 18 US Code § 241 or 42 U.S. Code § 1985 - Conspiracy to interfere with civil rights

The more meat in the lawsuit pot the thicker the stew.

Remove all of them from office...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah. All y'all Democrats conspire with the DOJ to violate 18 USC, Sec 241. This statute makes it unlawful for two or more persons to conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person of any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the United States, (or because of his/her having ...

Federal Civil Rights Statutes 18 US Code § 241 or 42 U.S. Code § 1985 - Conspiracy to interfere with civil rights

The more meat in the lawsuit pot the thicker the stew.

And then hang them. I am even willing to buy some of the rope and donate it to the hangman.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Slide Rule

And then hang them. I am even willing to buy some of the rope and donate it to the hangman.

I understand technology has developed a perfectly razor sharp ax. Time to bring out
the basket for the head drop. That also allows the heads to be easily placed on spikes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:37:43 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote