Author Topic: Sacrifice beyond the call of duty  (Read 148 times)

rangerrebew

Sacrifice beyond the call of duty
« on: November 19, 2021, 12:54:33 pm »
Sacrifice beyond the call of duty
By Brian K. Bond
 Nov 18, 09:37 PM

Being part of the military is an act of sacrifice for individuals and their families. Civilians like me understand that on a very superficial level. All kinds of media tell us that sacrifice means you are willing to die for your country. But what military service members and your families do is much more than that. You have sacrificed your freedom for ours.

As a gay man and a civilian, I can never wholly appreciate the sacrifice of those who serve, including my father and brother. Working in the White House, hundreds of active, retired, and discharged military personnel shared with me their commitment to duty and honor in service of their country. I had to learn and to listen; I had to communicate how discrimination against one dishonors the sacrifice of all and negatively impacts national security, readiness, and unit cohesion. It is a lesson I use often now in my work with military families as executive director of PFLAG National.

As servicemembers, you know the sacrifices that you have made. You have given up a “normal” life for civilians like me. Yet for many years, a discriminatory law has forced some siblings at arms to additionally sacrifice their identity, their safety, and more.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2021/11/18/sacrifice-beyond-the-call-of-duty/