Author Topic: Military Conscription Is a Tool for Centralization, State Building, and Despotism  (Read 90 times)

rangerrebew

Military Conscription Is a Tool for Centralization, State Building, and Despotism

Lee esto en Español

11/10/2021Ryan McMaken

The US Senate continues to debate legislation potentially adding women to the military draft in the United States. This week, for instance, Senator Josh Hawley attempted to remove from the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act provisions requiring that “all Americans” (aged 18-25) register for the draft.

We shouldn’t be surprised to find that Washington politicians are nearly all in agreement that at least half of America’s young adults ought to be coerced at de facto gunpoint into military service—presumably to fight for “freedom”. The only debate at hand apparently is whether or not the other half ought to be forced into temporary slavery as well.

Although most Americans now seem to treat potential conscription as just a fact of life, it’s important to note that the idea of a nationwide mass draft  as we know is a strictly modern invention.  More broadly, conscription is a relic and result of state building-efforts by European regimes of recent centuries when these regimes began to build large standing armies at a size previously unknown in Europe. The movement arose side by side with the spread of strong centralized states and the decline of political decentralization.

https://mises.org/wire/military-conscription-tool-centralization-state-building-and-despotism

rangerrebew

Hey, leave the draft alone!  It's the only lottery I ever won. 000hehehehe

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am 100 percent behind the idea of a universal draft.

There is NO better "tool" for keeping an eye on what the US Military may be doing or planning that might be un-constitutional or un-ethical than a Private soldier that has the ass,and spots something he or she KNOWS is wrong.

Keep in mind when you read this that I am a PROUD former career soldier who would enlist again tomorrow if they would have me.

There is no such critter in existence as a "pure organization". Somewhere,somehow,at some time,some of the careerists are going to band together to do things they know they shouldn't be doing.

The draftees are our "Watch Dogs".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hey, leave the draft alone!  It's the only lottery I ever won. 000hehehehe

@rangerrebew

888high58888 888high58888 888high58888
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I was drafted.... TWICE.
First time in October 1969.
Second time in June 1970.

A draft will be absolutely necessary by which to assemble enough soldiers to win a REAL war -- if there is one again that doesn't go nuclear in short order...