Author Topic: This officer went from being a homeless teenager to a nurse on the USS Ford  (Read 133 times)

rangerrebew

This officer went from being a homeless teenager to a nurse on the USS Ford
By Diana Stancy Correll
 Nov 15, 06:06 PM

Lt. Cmdr. Susan Murphy was 16-years-old and homeless when she realized she could break away from her unfortunate circumstances by joining the military.

Murphy, who said she became homeless after her parents got divorced and her mother remarried a man she described as a “con-man and a sex offender,” was interested in the medical field and believed that by enlisting in the military she could avoid becoming addicted to drugs or getting pregnant at a young age.

“Very, very easily, very quickly, I became homeless at the age of 16,” Murphy said, according to a Navy news release. “A lot of people look at me and they say, ‘How did you end up homeless?’ It just comes, and you can’t believe that it’s happening to you.”

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2021/11/15/this-officer-went-from-being-a-homeless-teenager-to-a-nurse-on-the-uss-ford/

Offline Kamaji

That's an awesome story.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You go,girl!

BTW,am I the only one that didn't realize nurses in the military were commissioned officers?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:42:20 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

Kudos!!!
When Man is ensnared by adversity, those of Character emerge, allowing him to better himself & Mankind!!!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
You go,girl!

BTW,am I the only one that didn't realize nurses in the military were commissioned officers?
I think I figured that out watching war movies decades ago, often part of the plot with a nurse officer in a romance with an enlisted man.