Author Topic: Ships at California ports are now waiting RECORD 17 days to unload: Supply crisis gets worse after B  (Read 353 times)

Offline Hoodat

Ships at California ports are now waiting RECORD 17 days to unload: Supply crisis gets worse after Biden vowed to fix it

STEPHEN M. LEPORE  |  PUBLISHED: 18:39 EST, 13 November 2021  |  UPDATED: 21:38 EST

The logjam at California's ports for ships to wait is now as long as 17 days - a new record amid the continuing  supply chain crisis just weeks before Black Friday and the holidays usually turn spending into overdrive..

There were as many as 83 ships at anchor and in a holding pattern outside ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach as of Friday night, officials said.

The nearly 17-day wait is double the wait time from just two months ago.  .  .  .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10199137/Backup-container-ships-outside-California-nearly-17-days.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
To put that in perspective, a transit from Shanghai to LA takes between 18-20 days.
It is doubling the time for the cargo to hit the pier.
Expect freight rates to more than double, because the lost time the ship would be in motion means fewer cargoes, and the added expense of keeping ships' systems running during the wait.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Ships are now waiting 150 miles offshore in order to avoid new fines that are being imposed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

Ships are now waiting 150 miles offshore in order to avoid new fines that are being imposed.
The shallowest water out there is nearly 500 meters deep. (Fieberling Tablemount), so it is no place really to just drop anchor and wait. That means maintaining a steerageway and racetracking part of the ocean. More fuel spent going nowhere, which is doubtless better for the environment than allowing 5 year old trucks to haul cargo out of there. (/sarc)

**nononono* Stupid leftists.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

Are the ships still diverting to Florida?

Online Smokin Joe

Are the ships still diverting to Florida?
If so, add the cost of transit fees for the Panama Canal to the price of shipped goods. Those can run a half million dollars per vessel.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This is the kind of stuff the conservative media needs to be hammering. Especially in the press room gaggles.

COVID policies and union slowdowns are what is causing this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

If so, add the cost of transit fees for the Panama Canal to the price of shipped goods. Those can run a half million dollars per vessel.

Not to mention the lost time (and fuel) having to travel further.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
To put that in perspective, a transit from Shanghai to LA takes between 18-20 days.
It is doubling the time for the cargo to hit the pier.
Expect freight rates to more than double, because the lost time the ship would be in motion means fewer cargoes, and the added expense of keeping ships' systems running during the wait.

@Smokin Joe

Which is no small expense. Those things need to be moving through the water towards a destination if they are not loading or unloading.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The shallowest water out there is nearly 500 meters deep. (Fieberling Tablemount), so it is no place really to just drop anchor and wait. That means maintaining a steerageway and racetracking part of the ocean. More fuel spent going nowhere, which is doubtless better for the environment than allowing 5 year old trucks to haul cargo out of there. (/sarc)

**nononono* Stupid leftists.

@Smokin Joe

I guess they could throw out sea anchors and have the automatic guidance systems keep them "on track",but I have no idea at all how effective,if effective at all,sea anchors are on something that big that displaces that much water.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This is the kind of stuff the conservative media needs to be hammering. Especially in the press room gaggles.

@Free Vulcan

No kidding.

Assuming of course that such a thing as a free media still exists.

Go on teebee and let the consumers know how much these delays are adding to their Christmas bills,and watch some trees get shaken.

I doubt most people even give those unnecessary added fees any consideration at all. Let them know and turn them loose.

Offline art.prout

It is all just a part of the "great" reset...  these jabrones are playing for keeps...  don't doubt that for a moment...

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

I guess they could throw out sea anchors and have the automatic guidance systems keep them "on track",but I have no idea at all how effective,if effective at all,sea anchors are on something that big that displaces that much water.
Even using thrusters to maintain station would not be cheap. Plus, they'd be using systems designed for in port maneuvering in the open ocean to maintain position, putting a lot of wear and tear on systems mainly built for less demanding use.

C S Lewis