Author Topic: China unlikely to try to militarily seize Taiwan in near future, top U.S. general  (Read 191 times)

rangerrebew

China unlikely to try to militarily seize Taiwan in near future, top U.S. general

Downing Street defends PM’s transparency over luxury villa holiday
What reviews are saying about ABBA Voyage - and how to get tickets…

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - China is unlikely to try to militarily seize Taiwan in the next couple of years, even as its military develops capabilities that would enable forcibly retaking the self-ruled island, the top U.S. general said on Wednesday.
U.S. military brass testify in the House on Afghanistan © Reuters/POOL U.S. military brass testify in the House on Afghanistan

"Based on my analysis of China, I don't think that it is likely in the near future -- being defined as, you know, six, 12, maybe 24 months, that kind of window," General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Aspen Security Forum, when asked if China was preparing to make a move on Taiwan in the near future.

Video: Taiwan seeks support after Chinese incursions (Reuters)

Taiwan seeks support after Chinese incursions

"Having said that, though, the Chinese are clearly and unambiguously building the capability to provide those options to the national leadership if they so choose at some point in the future. But near future? Probably not. But anything can happen."

(Reporting by Phil Stewart)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/china-unlikely-to-try-to-militarily-seize-taiwan-in-near-future-top-us-general/ar-AAQh1KU?ocid=uxbndlbing

rangerrebew

Has Gen. Milley been begging his allies, the Chinese, not to attack Taiwan on his watch? tri22

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Based on this prognostican and the Afghanistan debacle, if I was Taiwan, I'd be building bunkers now.

Pentagon is run by clowns.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And the Afghan military can hold off the Taliwhackers for months. I get the feeling that too many of our military leadership got their commissions out of a Cracker Jack box or maybe it's just that most of all that's left after the Obama/Biden/Biden purges are the criminally incompetent. I wonder if Austin and Milley concur :silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Taiwan is sooo screwed if Missy Miley says they are safe.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well since China's good friend Milley will say anything they tell him to I'd say your spot on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, week after next at the latest...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis