Author Topic: White House walks back Biden comments on migrant families payments  (Read 241 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House walks back Biden comments on migrant families payments
By Brett Samuels - 11/04/21 04:15 PM EDT

The White House on Thursday walked back President Biden's comments from the day before that the administration would not be paying migrants separated at the border during the last administration $450,000 each, clarifying that the government would be willing to settle out of court with those families.

"If it saves taxpayer dollars and puts the disastrous history of the previous administration’s use of zero tolerance and family separation behind us, the president is perfectly comfortable with the Department of Justice settling with the individuals and families who are currently in litigation with the United States government," White House principal deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters.

Biden on Wednesday was asked about reports that his administration was contemplating a payment of roughly $450,000 per person for separated migrant parents and children.

"That’s not gonna happen," he told reporters when asked about the reported plan.

Jean-Pierre on Thursday asserted Biden was reacting specifically to the $450,000 figure that was mentioned when he was asked about it.

"As press accounts to date indicate, DOJ made clear to the plaintiffs that the reported figures are higher than anywhere that a settlement can land," she said.

Fox News correspondent Peter Doocy asked Biden on Wednesday if the payments could encourage migrants to flock to the U.S.

"If you guys keep sending that garbage out, yeah," Biden said. "But it’s not true."

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in a statement suggested Biden had not not briefed on the actions of his own DOJ, and it further argued the president would be turning his back on a core campaign promise to provide a measure of justice for those separated under the Trump policy.

The potential payments would come as the government faces numerous lawsuits from families separated under the Trump administration's policy, which saw thousands of children taken away from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

"This is coming from the last administration’s cruel, inhuman, immoral policies against just people," Jean-Pierre said. "It’s separating children from their families…. That’s how we got here is because of the last administration. This is what we’re trying to deal with here in this administration."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/580142-white-house-walks-back-biden-comments-on-migrant-families-payments
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: White House walks back Biden comments on migrant families payments
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:55:16 pm »
ACLU claps back after Biden calls report on payments to migrants ‘garbage’. So, who’s running the show?
November 4, 2021 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

The ACLU reacted to President Biden not being familiar with his own Justice Department’s actions after he called a claim that his administration intends to pay illegal immigrants separated at the border $450,000 each a “garbage” report.

But ACLU Executive Director Anthony D. Romero appeared to contradict Biden on the issue, indicating that the plan to pay vast amounts of money to illegal immigrants separated from their families at the border under the Trump administration is still proceeding. The payments were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

“President Biden may not have been fully briefed about the actions of his very own Justice Department as it carefully deliberated and considered the crimes committed against thousands of families separated from their children as an intentional governmental policy,” Romero noted in a statement just hours after Biden was questioned on the matter.

“But if he follows through on what he said, the President is abandoning a core campaign promise to do justice for the thousands of separated families,” he asserted. “We respectfully remind President Biden that he called these actions ‘criminal’ in a debate with then-President Trump and campaigned on remedying and rectifying the lawlessness of the Trump administration. We call on President Biden to right the wrongs of this national tragedy.”

https://twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/1456027764214075395

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/11/04/aclu-claps-back-after-biden-calls-report-on-payments-to-migrants-garbage-so-whos-running-the-show-1158361/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:49:54 pm »
The only crimes that were committed was by border jumping criminals.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 10:31:24 pm »
White House: Actually, Joe Biden ‘Perfectly Comfortable’ with Payouts for Illegal Immigrants

Charlie Spiering4 Nov 2021

The White House on Thursday reversed a comment made by President Joe Biden that his administration would not issue payouts to illegal immigrants suing the federal government.

White House deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Biden was actually “perfectly comfortable” with the idea, despite his comment Wednesday insisting it was “not going to happen.” She said:

If it saves taxpayer dollars and puts the disastrous history of the previous administration’s use of zero tolerance and family separation behind us, the president is perfectly comfortable with the Justice settling with the individuals and families currently in litigation with the federal government.

Biden previously called reports that the Department of Justice was considering payouts to individual illegal immigrants who were separated during former President Donald Trump’s “Zero Tolerance” immigration enforcement policy “garbage” and “not true.”

But Jean-Pierre said Biden was specifically referring to the idea of the reported $450,000 price tag, not the overall concept of a payout.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which filed multiple lawsuits against the federal government on behalf of border crossers affected by Trump’s policies, said in a statement that Biden “may not have been fully briefed” about the Justice Department’s plan.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/11/04/white-house-actually-joe-biden-perfectly-comfortable-with-payouts-for-illegal-immigrants/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 10:32:29 pm »
What is the ACLU's cut?
Support the USO

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 11:25:45 pm »
The only crimes that were committed was by border jumping criminals.
Not true.

The federal government is not prosecuting the laws currently on the books regarding illegal immigration.  Individuals within the government should be held accountable as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 11:35:38 pm »
The president denies these payments are happening

But his own administration admits it

WTF????

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 01:27:47 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 01:49:46 am »
What is the ACLU's cut?

:hands: :hands: :hands:

They are now extortionist.  Nothing about the 'right' thing.  ACLU is funded by SOROS.   moveon.org

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 05:05:04 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 02:05:07 am »
I posted somewhere.  This is an old attorney's trick.  Ask an un-godly amount,  then get it whittled down and people think, they 'won' something.  If they asked, 50 K. people would be upset...but with this trick, it does NOT sound so much now.  We still get screwed and have been for decades now by DEMON-RATS. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 02:16:22 am »
I think of the statement that Obama allegedly said. “Don’t Underestimate Joe’s ability to f$&k things up”

Truer words have never been spoken
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 05:09:28 am by Right_in_Virginia »