Author Topic: A lesson we can’t afford to forget: Protecting troops by preventing burns  (Read 88 times)

rangerrebew

A lesson we can’t afford to forget: Protecting troops by preventing burns
By Edward Cardon
 Nov 2, 09:34 PM

For a soldier, flash fire is an ever-present risk, especially when deployed into areas of conflict. Burns can arise when a vehicle takes fire or hits an improvised explosive device, with the explosion of a bomb or shell, or even when performing maintenance or conducting live fire training. Recent conflicts in the Ukraine, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Nagorno Karabakh and others show that fires have become much more prevalent and lethal. The risk of severe burn wounds to deployed troops is growing. Unlike so many risks our troops face, there is a proven method for mitigating burn wounds — the use of flame-resistant uniforms.

Yet, as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan end, the Department of Defense is forgetting one of the hard lessons it learned over the last two decades: issuing troops fire-resistant uniforms. Flame-resistant uniforms can reduce body burn by 80 percent preventing debilitating and costly burn wounds. That can be the difference between life and death, between months-long hospitalizations and getting up and walking away, between life-altering disability and returning to service. Other fields have recognized this fact; flame-resistant clothing is mandatory for many in the oil and gas, electric, and other hazardous industries.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2021/11/02/a-lesson-we-cant-afford-to-forget-protecting-troops-by-preventing-burns/

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
When he says 'troops' I hope he is including sailors. Other than the obvious, a projectile or missile, fire is the number one threat aboard ship.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

When he says 'troops' I hope he is including sailors. Other than the obvious, a projectile or missile, fire is the number one threat aboard ship.
In WWII topside sailors wore anti flash cream in combat. Probably considered too low tech by today's navy.