Author Topic: From Boston to Cincinnati, people of color won local elections in historic firsts  (Read 120 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As polls closed late Tuesday, states throughout the country saw a range of candidates of color racking up election wins in historic results. 

The gains ranged from mayoral elections to state offices, in many cases the first time such posts have been won by people of color or candidates from marginalized communities.

Here's a rundown of the winners:
Wu beats George for top spot in Boston

City council member Michelle Wu, 36, won the mayoral race in Boston after fellow Democrat Annissa Essaibi George conceded. Wu gained 63.6% of votes compared to 36% for Wu, according to WBUR News.

Wu is the first woman and person of color elected to the post. Acting mayor of Boston, Kim Janey, a Black woman, was appointed after previously elected Mayor Marty Walsh stepped down to become U.S. secretary of labor under President Joe Biden.

Wu grew up in Chicago and her parents immigrated from Taiwan. A Harvard Law graduate, she is a former protégé of liberal Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren. Wu had served in the Boston city council since 2014.

Wu had the backing of Warren, Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass, and Mayor Janey during the campaign.

She clashed with her opponent George on a number of issues, including affordable housing, public education, transportation, crime and policing reform. Before running for mayor, Wu joined other city council members in calling for a 10% cut to the police department’s budget.
Eric Adams wins NYC mayoral election, Alvin Bragg elected first Black Manhattan DA.

Retired police officer Eric Adams defeated underdog Republican candidate Curtis Sliwa Tuesday to become the second Black mayor in the history of New York City. The newly elected mayor promised to reflect needs of working and middle-class voters of color.

Former federal prosecutor Alvin Bragg will become the first Black person to lead the Manhattan district attorney's office after his win over Republican opponent, Thomas Kenniff.

The Manhattan DA handles tens of thousands of cases per year, according to the New York Times. Bragg will soon be in charge of the high-profile investigation into former President Donald Trump and his family business.
Ed Gainey takes Pittsburgh mayoral race.......

CONTINUED AT LINK
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wu grew up in Chicago and her parents immigrated from Taiwan. A Harvard Law graduate, she is a former protégé of liberal Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

OK,so Boston,as hard as this is to believe,will become an even bigger sewer than it is today.

Retired police officer Eric Adams defeated underdog Republican candidate Curtis Sliwa Tuesday to become the second Black mayor in the history of New York City. The newly elected mayor promised to reflect needs of working and middle-class voters of color.

And,of course,white and yellow are not colors that interest these racists. Any white or Asian working class people need to sell out and move to America while their homes are still worth something.

The Manhattan DA handles tens of thousands of cases per year, according to the New York Times. Bragg will soon be in charge of the high-profile investigation into former President Donald Trump and his family business.

And it will no doubt be a fair and balanced investigation by a radical black racist,right?

How long will it be before the rest of the nation will require passports and visas from people north of Virginia,and on the left coast?

We will HAVE to do this to preserve America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

US cities are lost, beyond hope.

Need the link, BTW.

Offline Killer Clouds

Racists promoting racism is all this is. Why does it matter what color a person's skin is? That is not a qualification for any elected official. The average IQ for US citizens is dropping to single digit ranges.

Offline LMAO

US cities are lost, beyond hope.

Need the link, BTW.

Sadly and very tragically, you are right
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

In Boston, there was no white guy running for mayor.  The candidate backed by municipal unions lost.  Bostonians want structural change, and hope Michelle Wu can deliver some changes.

Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, and Michelle Wu are similar in that they are personifications of peoples' dissatisfaction with the establishment.

Biden is having issues because he's walking the tightrope of maintaining the establishment and allowing progressives to challenge that same establishment.  Biden needs the support of both sides, but each side is a war with the other.  A typical Democratic circular firing squad.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.