Author Topic: Childhood Obesity Is Soaring to New Levels. (Fat Kids Make for Fat Adults that will die young)  (Read 199 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 Kids' weight has spiked during the pandemic, but it's part of a long-term trend
by Marisa Censani, MD October 30, 2021

As a pediatric endocrinologist in a busy New York City hospital, I am acutely aware of the impact COVID-19 has had on my patients. The physical, emotional, social, and academic costs of the pandemic are evident every time I examine a child diagnosed with the virus. However, I am also deeply aware of another health risk that is threatening the well-being of my patients -- the significant increase in obesity that we have seen in children and teenagers over the past 18 months.

Before COVID-19, obesity affected around 20% of American children 2 to 19 years of age. Now, the numbers are expected to rise much further, with modeling studies predicting at least a 3% to 4% weight gain in children during the pandemic. In my obesity practice, children who had been losing weight before the pandemic are now returning with an average weight gain of 10 to 20 lb.

In fact, the signs I'm seeing suggest we are facing a dangerous collision between the COVID-19 pandemic and a surging obesity epidemic. Obesity and overweight have soared among my patients due to a number of factors directly related to the pandemic, including less access to physical education at school, a drop in extracurricular sports activities, and fewer healthy food choices because of financial challenges and shopping restrictions. The pandemic also exacerbated an already existing mental health crisis in youth, with an increase in emotional eating among children who are experiencing greater anxiety and depression.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/95339?xid=nl_secondopinion_2021-11-02&eun=g1881947d0r
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Children do not respond well to profound disturbances in routines they have become accustomed to, nor will they stay thin when deprived of opportunities to get out and play. You don't need to be an MD to figure that out, just a parent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️