Author Topic: Biden slammed by Catholic priests for meeting with Pope Francis, taking communion  (Read 303 times)

Offline libertybele

Biden slammed by Catholic priests for meeting with Pope Francis, taking communion

President Joe Biden received Communion at St. Patrick’s Church during Saturday Vigil Mass, a day after saying Pope Francis told him he should continue to partake in the sacrament, prompting negative reactions from Catholic priests upset that the president’s position on abortion is not in line with Church doctrine.

Several U.S. bishops expressed dismay about the pope's reported words to Biden. Bishop Joseph Strickland, of Tyler, Texas, retweeted a blistering blog post by conservative Cardinal Raymond Burke that strongly reaffirmed that Catholic politicians who support abortion rights cannot receive the sacrament............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-slammed-catholic-priests-meeting-pope-francis-communion

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

These are not priests slamming Biden.

These are bishops which are leaders of the Catholic Church, all of which were appointed by this or earlier Popes.

A lot of difference between a priest and a bishop
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LegalAmerican

These are not priests slamming Biden.

These are bishops which are leaders of the Catholic Church, all of which were appointed by this or earlier Popes.

A lot of difference between a priest and a bishop

Yes. Bishops have more power and are over a bunch of priests, but they are also, priests.  Born, raised, catholic. 6 years catholic school.  A priest becomes a BISHOP. 

Yes. Bishops have more power and are over a bunch of priests, but they are also, priests.  Born, raised, catholic. 6 years catholic school.  A priest becomes a BISHOP.
I certainly understand all of that as I was brought up in the Catholic faith, even serving for years as an altar boy.

You seemed to miss the point though.

These are not SIMPLY priests like the title connotes.

These bishops are priests in positions of leadership within the church and were individually selected to those positions by a Pope, unlike a normal priest.

To make the statements they did, these bishops came from an entirely different level of influence than a typical priest, particularly since they had achieved their status from the Pope.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LegalAmerican

I certainly understand all of that as I was brought up in the Catholic faith, even serving for years as an altar boy.

You seemed to miss the point though.

These are not SIMPLY priests like the title connotes.

These bishops are priests in positions of leadership within the church and were individually selected to those positions by a Pope, unlike a normal priest.

To make the statements they did, these bishops came from an entirely different level of influence than a typical priest, particularly since they had achieved their status from the Pope.

Yes.  WE AGREE.  I see no issue.

Yes.  WE AGREE.  I see no issue.
NP, and I went 9 years to Catholic schools and even attended a seminary one summer to consider becoming a priest.

Offline Kamaji

One wonders if Pope Francis will be the cause of another grand schism in the Catholic church.

Offline LegalAmerican

NP, and I went 9 years to Catholic schools and even attended a seminary one summer to consider becoming a priest.

And I wanted to become a NUN and was in the sodality for years.  I do agree the ARTICLE is wrong by not giving the power to the BISHOPS that they have.  However, they ARE priests.  It was meant to MINIMIZE the action by BISHOPS.  WHOMEVER wrote the article is not CATHOLIC and did not care to present real FACTS.  You and I have no issue. I just wanted to point out, I have some understanding about the Catholic religion, BEFORE someone wanted to attack me.  I can't get a break!    888mouth

Offline LegalAmerican

Quote from: LegalAmerican on Today at 01:46:13 am

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:04:16 pm by LegalAmerican »

Quote from: LegalAmerican on Today at 01:46:13 am

If you call that an attack, then there is something dreadfully wrong here.

You are the one that decided to attack me by leaving out the word 'just'.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If you call that an attack, then there is something dreadfully wrong here.

You are the one that decided to attack me by leaving out the word 'just'.

She is not right in the head.  Just let her spew her shit.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

She is not right in the head.  Just let her spew her shit.
Good advice.  I have a relative I treat that way.