Author Topic: China Tests an Orbital Hypersonic Nuclear-Capable Weapon  (Read 72 times)

rangerrebew

China Tests an Orbital Hypersonic Nuclear-Capable Weapon
« on: October 31, 2021, 11:52:31 am »

China Tests an Orbital Hypersonic Nuclear-Capable Weapon
By Mark B. Schneider
October 30, 2021
果壳军事

In October 2021, the Financial Times reported that "China tested a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile in August [2021] that circled the globe before speeding towards its target, demonstrating an advanced space capability that caught U.S. intelligence by surprise.” The article continued, “Five people familiar with the test said the Chinese military launched a rocket that carried a hypersonic glide vehicle which flew through low-orbit space before cruising down towards its target.” As a result of this report, which many news organizations picked up, the following exchange took place between a reporter and the White House Press Secretary:

Reporter: And then, can you comment on reports that China tested at nuclear-capable hypersonic missiles over the summer to the surprise of U.S. officials? Are these accurate? And do these raise concerns about China's nuclear capabilities?

Jen Psaki: Well, I know General — Secretary Austin, I should say, was asked this question this morning and addressed it, but I’m not going to comment on the specific report. I can say and would echo what he said, which is, generally speaking, we’ve made clear our concerns about the military capabilities that the PRC continues to pursue. And we have been consistent in our approach with China: We welcome stiff competition, but we do not want that competition to veer into conflict. And that is certainly what we convey privately as well. (Emphasis added)

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/10/30/china_tests_an_orbital_hypersonic_nuclear-capable_weapon_801347.html