Author Topic: China's Aircraft Carriers Have One Big Problem  (Read 145 times)

rangerrebew

China's Aircraft Carriers Have One Big Problem
« on: October 27, 2021, 11:22:19 am »
 October 25, 2021

China's Aircraft Carriers Have One Big Problem

The United States should hope it stays this way.
by TNI Staff

Here's What You Need to Remember: The impetus for doing away with the J-15 stems from a series of four serious accidents suffered by the type.

China is developing a new carrier-based fighter aircraft to succeed the Shenyang J-15 Flying Shark.

The J-15—which is an unlicensed Chinese development based on a T-10K-3 prototype of the Russian Su-33 Flanker-D—has proven to be a disappointment in service with the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN). The navalized Chinese Flanker derivative has suffered a number of high-profile crashes due to technical issues with the aircraft’s engines and flight control system.

The J-15’s problems are apparently serious enough that Beijing is embarking on the development of a new carrier-based aircraft that would take the J-15’s place in China’s nascent carrier air wings.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/chinas-aircraft-carriers-have-one-big-problem-195361

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: China's Aircraft Carriers Have One Big Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:04 pm »
When did China get "carrier fleets",and where did they come from?

Last I heard they only had one carrier,and they bought it from the Russians,who delivered it.

This was several years ago,and as of last year,it hadn't even left port yet.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:19:59 pm »
When did China get "carrier fleets",and where did they come from?

Last I heard they only had one carrier,and they bought it from the Russians,who delivered it.

This was several years ago,and as of last year,it hadn't even left port yet.
I had heard they (typically) reverse engineered it and were close to launching another carrier just like it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:30:48 pm »
I had heard they (typically) reverse engineered it and were close to launching another carrier just like it.

@skeeter

Well,knowing the Chinese,that makes sense to them. Once finished,they will have TWO aircraft carriers that just sit in port.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 02:36:50 pm »
@skeeter

Well,knowing the Chinese,that makes sense to them. Once finished,they will have TWO aircraft carriers that just sit in port.
It took American naval aviation took 100 years to get where it is today. China thinks all that is required to contest it is floating a few big flat ships with a bunch of planes on them. It will be far better for those ships if they just stay in port.

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 02:51:38 pm »
Gee, I thought they did something incomprehensibly stupid like building the new carrier without weapons elevators. :silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 04:02:05 pm »
Gee, I thought they did something incomprehensibly stupid like building the new carrier without weapons elevators. :silly:

@rangerrebew

That wouldn't surprise me at all,given that for thousands of years creativity and independent thinking in China has been punishible by death.