Author Topic: Ground Zero of Woke By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 157 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ground Zero of Woke By Victor Davis Hanson
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:10:13 pm »
Ground Zero of Woke

Universities are making themselves not just disliked and disreputable but ultimately irrelevant and replaceable.

By Victor Davis Hanson
October 24, 2021

Many of our once revered and most hallowed institutions are failing us. To mention only the most significant ones: our top-ranking military echelon, the leadership of our federal investigatory and intelligence agencies, the government medical establishment—and of course the universities. 

For too long American higher education’s reputation of global academic superiority has rested mostly on the sciences, mathematics, physics, technology, medicine, and engineering—in other words, not because of the humanities and social sciences, but despite them. The humanities have become too often anti-humanistic. And the social sciences are deductively anti-scientific. Both quasi-religious woke disciplines have eroded confidence in colleges and universities, infected even the STEM disciplines and professional schools, and torn apart the civic unity of the United States. Indeed, much of the current Jacobin revolution was birthed and fueled by American universities, despite their manifest hypocrisies and derelictions.

Never in U.S. history have elite universities piled up such huge endowments, which soared during the lockdown. Harvard has $40 billion, Yale $30 billion, Stanford $28 billion, Princeton $25 billion and so on. The tax-free income from these huge sums ensures equally extravagant budgets that are somewhat insulated from market realities—at least in the sense that the larger endowments grew, the more likely university costs rose beyond the annual rate of inflation, and the greater aggregate student debt rose.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/24/ground-zero-of-woke/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ground Zero of Woke By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:56:18 pm »
If you wish to really destroy a Culture, destroy its institutions, starting with family and progressing through education and Government.

When all are either a laughingstock or reviled, the task will be complete.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 10:49:41 pm »
I've become an anti-intellectual.

It's time to CLOSE most "universities".
They would better serve as housing for the homeless and illegals.

Keep open those schools that teach medicine, engineering, some sciences, etc.

But again, CLOSE the rest of them.
Keep the technical schools open.

The university system and belief that "everyone should go to college" is destroying our society, our industries, and... our culture.

Go ahead -- throw rocks at me.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 08:12:05 am »
I've become an anti-intellectual.

It's time to CLOSE most "universities".
They would better serve as housing for the homeless and illegals.

Keep open those schools that teach medicine, engineering, some sciences, etc.

But again, CLOSE the rest of them.
Keep the technical schools open.

The university system and belief that "everyone should go to college" is destroying our society, our industries, and... our culture.

Go ahead -- throw rocks at me.
No rocks. (Save them for the Geology departments). Turn those huge gymnasiums into work areas for those learning how to repair, machine, design everything from lawnmowers to jet engines. I'd wager a lifetime gym membership could be had for less than the price of a year's tuition.
I'm all for having technical academies. Teach plumbing, building, electrical and concrete work, a host of appliacable skills; glean the best of those who want to learn how to engineer the things they work on and teach them if they show promise and desire.
Enough of the concept that 'everyone' should get a degree, because those watered down degrees in useless subjects only reduce the value of degrees earned by others in years past in more difficult and demanding subjects.

I am not against the study of literature, human behaviour, history, or the other classical liberal arts subjects, but how many sociologists and philosophers do we really need? (They will tell you a lot, but they are biased.) If it takes four years to get a degree in Art Appreciation, maybe we need better art.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis