Author Topic: A General Who Failed in War Assesses Risk  (Read 161 times)

rangerrebew

A General Who Failed in War Assesses Risk
« on: October 23, 2021, 09:45:54 am »
 A General Who Failed in War Assesses Risk
Bing West

In 1950, General MacArthur took a huge strategic risk that changed the course of the Korean War, landing Marines in the rear of the North Korean soldiers and forcing them to retreat. In 2010, General McChrystal took a huge strategic risk, deploying 100,000 troops across Afghanistan in a nation-building effort that led to our humiliating defeat after 20 years. McChrystal, a multimillionaire adviser to CEOs, has recently written a book titled Risk: A User’s Guide. What does McChrystal advise about taking risk?

Risk is the possibility of something bad happening because of either human decision or an act of nature. As individuals, we decide on the degree of personal risk involved in personal decisions, such as our investments and career choices. Individuals also impose the degrees of risk upon others: A CEO risks his corporation, and a commander risks the lives of subordinates in battle. Risk is ubiquitous in human nature and life, and so the author of a book titled “Risk” should begin by defining what type of risk he is writing about.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-general-who-failed-in-war-assesses-risk/ar-AAPKf0U?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: A General Who Failed in War Assesses Risk
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:59:20 am »
In 2010, General McChryalst took a huge strategic risk, deploying 100,000 troops across Afghanistan in a nation-building effort

Well,no,he didn't. Even Generals don't make that sort of decision these days. He MAY have,and probably did propose that because he seems to have been an asshat,but the decision to go into nation-building was a POLITICAL decision.

Granted,McChryalst IS a political creature in uniform,but there is no way the professional fools in the US Congress are going to allow a mere fool in uniform to take their power away from them.

IF McChryalst had been an honorable General he would have advised his political masters this couldn't be done,and resigned if they insisted.

Since,as far as we know he never objected and never resigned,we can only assume he went along with it,which makes him both a lackey and a fool.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
It is counterproductive to play monday morning quarterback, especially with regards to military and law enforcement.

If your boots are not on the ground, if your are not looking down that barrel, if you are not fighting for your life, you have no idea what you are talking about, so I take a really critical eye to these sofa warriors telling us how bad law enforcement/military actions were.
The crystal ball gets really clear after the fact.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:06:34 pm »
It is counterproductive to play monday morning quarterback, especially with regards to military and law enforcement.

If your boots are not on the ground, if your are not looking down that barrel, if you are not fighting for your life, you have no idea what you are talking about, so I take a really critical eye to these sofa warriors telling us how bad law enforcement/military actions were.
The crystal ball gets really clear after the fact.

@EdinVA

I disagree with the part in bold. While it is true I never had my boots on the ground in the Muddle East,I do have some experience with similar deployments,plus the advantage of years to think over what happened,what should have happened,and why it didn't happen.

After all,it's the same drama,just being played out on a different stage.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 01:21:08 pm »
@EdinVA

I disagree with the part in bold. While it is true I never had my boots on the ground in the Muddle East,I do have some experience with similar deployments,plus the advantage of years to think over what happened,what should have happened,and why it didn't happen.

After all,it's the same drama,just being played out on a different stage.
@sneakypete
So your not a couch warrior then.... pay attention pete...  ****slapping