Author Topic: Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)... Do you use them, have a favorite?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
A buddy of mine let me use his VPN for a bit, but when I switched computers I got dropped from his list (his son grabbed it and I didn't complain). I recently got a new VPN (20 buck, Tunnelbear) and put my son on it also.

Poll question. Do you bother with a VPN or just keep being a good surfer without it?

Yes I use a VPN (if inclined mention version in comments)

No, Never bothered.

Considering it, haven't bit the bullet yet.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

Re: Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)... Do you use them, have a favorite?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 05:59:38 pm »
VPN or proxy, it is all really the same... I am inclined not to use em, because I don't believe they ain't selling your data... And running through a VPN, that VPN company gets everything you do... I think there is probably more anonymity in distributed than tunneling except if you can totally trust the tunnel... Like using real VPN to tunnel to your own local network.

HOWEVER, it DOES encrypt what you are doing through your ISP - Which is obligated to keep long records - So there is that. Whether the VPN is keeping those same long records is the question.

I don't understand the extraneous benefits - That you can get different programming using streaming services while VPN'd to another country... I am a little bit interested in that aspect.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:00:54 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 11:09:35 pm »
Over my head for a bit there Roamer... Had to look it up...

What’s The Difference Between a Proxy and a VPN?
https://www.varonis.com/blog/proxy-vs-vpn/

Somewhat similar, but not at the same time.

Note: proxies can/have sell/sold your data also, and they don't have the reputation a VPN would want to preserve. The tunnelbear I got for cheap (comparably) didn't have many frills, like porting through several ports (skipping servers or daisy chaining them).... but for the most part, I ain't hacking anything, just wanting to remain private online.

Several VPNs have a free version to try (noticed my VPN offers a very limited 500 mb free version to try).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:12:31 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 11:20:47 pm »
I've used a VPN for several years now. Some sites won't let you connect via a VPN. And you need to remember to disconnect when you want to search for a store near you. On our last server, sometimes I had faster connectivity when I was connecting from overseas.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 11:26:54 pm »
Over my head for a bit there Roamer... Had to look it up...

What’s The Difference Between a Proxy and a VPN?
https://www.varonis.com/blog/proxy-vs-vpn/

Somewhat similar, but not at the same time.

Note: proxies can/have sell/sold your data also, and they don't have the reputation a VPN would want to preserve. The tunnelbear I got for cheap (comparably) didn't have many frills, like porting through several ports (skipping servers or daisy chaining them).... but for the most part, I ain't hacking anything, just wanting to remain private online.

Several VPNs have a free version to try (noticed my VPN offers a very limited 500 mb free version to try).

Right... Similar. One controls both ends of the pipe, and the other controls one end of the pipe... Either way, it is the same - You are trusting that service, because ALL of your stuff is going through their hose.

The only way it is somewhat trusted is if you control both ends with nothing in between... Using VPN to connect your machine to your local LAN from afar is reasonably trustworthy. Using VPN to connect to someone else's network explicitly means you have to trust THEM, because you are voluntarily joining their network.

Now, that MAY be better than trusting every machine on the internet... But I don't think by much. If you don't think they are selling your data, you've another think coming. I don't trust NOBODY.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 11:47:53 pm »
I've used a VPN for several years now. Some sites won't let you connect via a VPN. And you need to remember to disconnect when you want to search for a store near you. On our last server, sometimes I had faster connectivity when I was connecting from overseas.

I always choose an overseas connection (via VPN) because I understand they have tougher regulations with releasing info via FBI ect requests... but some VPN claim to have no records to hand over, so it may be I am just paranoid for no reason.