Author Topic: Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set  (Read 18429 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set
« Reply #525 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:47 am »
@sneakypete

No dogs I take it. Heck, even old Chewy keeps the bears out. I am pretty live and let live too. But the dogs ain't, and that's alright.

:beer:

@roamer_1

Neither of the last two dogs I owned lasted a month. Poisonous snakes got them.

This is one reason I have cats. Cats consider snakes to be a desirable fast food,and will rat pack one and then fight each other to see who eats him.

The bleep cats in the shop did me a dirty a couple of summers ago. Bit the head off of a copperhead,and left him laying just inside the entrance door. I came in barefoot that afternoon to feed them,stepped on the copperhead,and must have levitated 3 feet in the air.

I know this is not possible,but I would also swear the cats were laughing at me. All 3 of them where lined up watching.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Kamaji

« Reply #526 on: February 23, 2022, 12:37:58 am »
@roamer_1

Neither of the last two dogs I owned lasted a month. Poisonous snakes got them.

This is one reason I have cats. Cats consider snakes to be a desirable fast food,and will rat pack one and then fight each other to see who eats him.

The bleep cats in the shop did me a dirty a couple of summers ago. Bit the head off of a copperhead,and left him laying just inside the entrance door. I came in barefoot that afternoon to feed them,stepped on the copperhead,and must have levitated 3 feet in the air.

I know this is not possible,but I would also swear the cats were laughing at me. All 3 of them where lined up watching.

They were laughing. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #527 on: February 23, 2022, 11:03:12 am »

LOL!
Funny how that goes with cats @sneakypete

Best we ever had was a Maine Coon called Foot (short for Bigfoot) He was a whoppin big Maine Coon. I would not be surprised to find out he was half bobcat. Like all cats, he'd leave presents on the door mat to let you know he's doing his job... Most cats, you get that gross little skid as you inadvertently step on what's left of a mouse.

Not with Foot. You'd squish into a full duck. Or trip over a turtle. Or a gopher, or a young coon or possum. It was certainly a chore, but you would shake your head at what that cat would drag home.

Offline verga

« Reply #528 on: February 24, 2022, 07:20:41 pm »
Once on half-cock the pistol is normally prevented from strike until you hit full-cock - Though it must be said there is a reason for the saying 'going off half-cocked' - but in normal operation, with a properly maintained pistol, that should be an impossibility.
@roamer_1 I reserve the right to be completely wrong about this, but I always thought that referred to Muzzle loaders (Primarily) Percussion caps.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #530 on: February 24, 2022, 09:06:40 pm »
@roamer_1 I reserve the right to be completely wrong about this, but I always thought that referred to Muzzle loaders (Primarily) Percussion caps.

Probably so @verga , but I would not try to promote the sufficiency of half-cocked on a gun in less than optimal condition... Which was sorta my point... I know a colt .45 single action in good or at least reasonable condition cannot fire from half-cocked.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:33:44 pm by roamer_1 »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #531 on: February 24, 2022, 09:11:07 pm »
Husband of killed ‘Rust’ cinematographer unloads on Alec Baldwin in first interview: ‘I was just so angry’
February 24, 2022 | Sierra Marlee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eqw0QmOXDQ&ab_channel=TODAY

Matt Hutchins, the husband of Halyna Hutchins who was fatally shot on the set of “Rust” spoke to “Today” in the first interview since his wife’s death, and he explained how he’s felt about Alec Baldwin denying responsibility.

“The idea that the person holding the gun and causing it to discharge is not responsible is absurd to me,” he explained to Hoda Kotb.

He told Kotb that the denial made him “so angry” but he believes that Baldwin isn’t the only one responsible.

“I was just so angry to see him talk about her death so publicly in such a detailed way and then to not accept any responsibility after having just described killing her. But gun safety was not the only problem on that set,” he said. “There were a number of industry standards that were not practiced and there’s multiple responsible parties.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/02/24/husband-of-killed-rust-cinematographer-unloads-on-alec-baldwin-in-first-interview-i-was-just-so-angry-1205233/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

« Reply #532 on: February 24, 2022, 09:18:50 pm »
LOL!
Funny how that goes with cats @sneakypete

Best we ever had was a Maine Coon called Foot (short for Bigfoot) He was a whoppin big Maine Coon.

I've got a maine coon.  As someone who detests cats, this cat is OK.  Can't get him to communicate like a dog yet, but he is fat as heck and likes being scratched on the belly.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #533 on: February 24, 2022, 09:26:51 pm »
I have a Ruger (MKI) that my father left me. Fairly light and that and a spare mag will give you 19 shots.

Been gonna for half my life @verga , but I just can't get shy of the direct necessity of large caliber weapons in my travels. Down here in the bottoms where the griz pretty much ain't is one thing - Wandering around cultured farmlands with nothing more than a .22 is pretty doable.

But I go up in the tall timber. I am gonna have a 45/70 and a .45 pistol no matter what up in there... So a .22 winds up being superfluous and extra weight.

That quote of mine about the 410 shotgun, and the amazing array and variety of ammo it will accommodate REALLY is attractive to me as a survival tactical system - But it is a pipe dream up here in the Boreal forest. Maybe in Appalachia or the south. It ain't often that the need arises even here, but when it does arise - Which is exactly what you are preparing for - When it does arise, that 410 might as well be a peashooter.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #534 on: February 24, 2022, 09:28:50 pm »
I've got a maine coon.  As someone who detests cats, this cat is OK.  Can't get him to communicate like a dog yet, but he is fat as heck and likes being scratched on the belly.

What a coincidence.... Me too.  :silly: :tongue2:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #535 on: February 25, 2022, 03:31:51 am »

@roamer_1   @verga

You are,ALL single-action revolvers that I have ever seen have a half-cock notch on the hammer.

Come to think of it,so do all the lever-action rifles I have ever handled.

It is there so there is no accidental discharge if your thump slips off the hammer when you cock it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #536 on: February 25, 2022, 04:28:49 am »
Why is a revolver's hammer recommended to rest on an empty chamber?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-revolvers-hammer-recommended-to-rest-on-an-empty-chamber

David L. Green, former Deputy Sheriff at Franklin County Sheriff's O (1976-2009)
Answered Nov 4, 2018

Unless you are talking about an old time single action revolver or a modern reproduction without a transfer bar, it does not apply. The old single actions were carried that way because it was too easy to drop the weapon on the hammer which would cause the firearm to discharge. This could also happen if the firearm was holstered and hammer was struck hard enough in whatever fashion to strike the primer of the round the hammer rested against. So, single action revolvers were carried hammer down on an empty chamber. When carrying an old style revolver, the safe way is to load as follows..load one, skip one, and load four.

Then carefully pull hammer all the way back as if preparing to fire, then lower the hammer carefully. This will put the empty chamber under the hammer. Of course this makes your six shooter into a five shooter!

Truly modern single action revolvers such as Rugers, have a transfer bar system which makes it safe to carry with all 6 chambers loaded. It is important to know that your particular sa revolver does have a transfer bar system. Older Ruger sa revolvers did not and so should still be carried with the empty chamber under the hammer.

Hope this answered your question.

Offline verga

« Reply #537 on: April 08, 2022, 11:40:09 am »
NM prosecutor on movie set shooting fatality: Alec Baldwin may not have pulled trigger
February 20, 2022 | Ashley Hill

The New Mexico prosecutor investigating the shot fired from the gun in the hands of Alec Baldwin on the set of “Rust” last year may have been swayed by the actor’s December interview with ABC where he claimed that he “didn’t pull the trigger.”

“You can pull the hammer back without actually pulling the trigger and without actually locking it,” Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies told Vanity Fair. “So you pull it back partway, it doesn’t lock, and then if you let it go, the firing pin can hit the primer of the bullet.”

After seeing Baldwin’s interview on ABC the prosecutor set out to unofficially investigate if it was possible for the gun to go off without pulling the trigger as Baldwin had asserted happened although initially, she wasn’t convinced the story had legs.

“I didn’t know too much about guns, certainly not about 1850s-era revolvers. So when I first heard that, I was like, ‘Oh, that’s crazy,’ ”Carmack-Altwies said.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/02/20/nm-prosecutor-on-movie-set-shooting-fatality-alec-baldwin-may-not-have-pulled-trigger-1203444/
That "theory" has been disproved numerous times by professionals on YouTube.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #538 on: April 08, 2022, 01:37:22 pm »
When I was six years old, NRA members taught me (as part of a Hunter Safety course) that if I pointed a gun at someone and the gun went off, that I was responsible because aiming the gun was under my control and I did the pointing.  The lesson there was 'do not point a gun at another person'.  Alec Baldwin violated a lesson ingrained in me for over half a century, thanks to the NRA.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #539 on: April 26, 2022, 06:53:26 pm »
‘I Shot The Gun’: Alec Baldwin’s Statement To Cops Post ‘Rust’ Shooting Reveals New Details
By  Amanda Harding
Apr 26, 2022   DailyWire.com

Actor Alec Baldwin gave a slightly different testimony of what happened on the set of “Rust” in the hours following the incident, newly released video footage reveals.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office shared body cam footage, crime scene photos, witness interviews, and text messages they’ve gathered so far, which help paint a clearer picture of the 64-year-old actor’s involvement in the shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins after a gun Alec Baldwin was holding discharged in October.

The “30 Rock” alum has maintained all along that he never touched the trigger of the .45-caliber Old West revolver.  ...

In the first moments of his interview, Baldwin inquires if he’s being charged with anything. The deputy confirms he’s just there for questioning and says the actor has already been read his Miranda rights.

“When I shot the gun, away from the cameraman, I never aim the gun at the camera, I turned and I went like this,” he told investigators, making a gun with his fingers and demonstrating, Fox News reported. “And she was there. And the gun went off. And she just went right on the ground.”

“I take the gun out slowly. I turn and cock the pistol. Bang! [Hutchins] hits the ground, she goes down. [Souza] goes down, screaming, he’s like ‘Jesus Christ,’” Baldwin also says, according to the New York Post. “It’s supposed to be a cold gun … Now this is a puzzle to me … this is making me very emotional.” ...
Daily Wire

Idiot.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #540 on: April 26, 2022, 07:58:43 pm »
‘I Just F***ed Up My Whole Entire Career’: ‘Rust’ Armorer, 24, After Fatal Shooting Of Halyna Hutchins
By  Hank Berrien
Apr 26, 2022

The 24-year-old set armorer for the film “Rust” broke down after the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, confessing, “I just f***ed up my whole entire career,” as revealed by newly-released video footage.

Hannah Gutierrez Reed was questioned by police on the set after actor-producer Alec Baldwin pointed a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and it went off, wounding director Joel Souza and killing Hutchins. When police asked her if she was the film’s armorer, Reed replied, “I am, or at least I was … welcome to the worst day of my life.”

As she was accompanied to the restroom by a female police officer, Reed continued, “I can’t believe Alec Baldwin was holding the gun. That’s so f***ed,” later telling officers she preferred to remove herself from the rest of the crew and sit in a police vehicle as she lamented, “I just want to get the f*** out of here and never show my face in this industry again. … I’m the only female armorer in the game and I just f***ed up my whole entire career.” ...
Daily Wire

Yeah, it didn't do much for Ms. Hutchins' career, either. Is it me, or does Ms. Reed seem just a little bit self-absorbed, considering what happened to the two people struck by bullets?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #541 on: April 26, 2022, 08:10:12 pm »
Daily Wire

Yeah, it didn't do much for Ms. Hutchins' career, either. Is it me, or does Ms. Reed seem just a little bit self-absorbed, considering what happened to the two people struck by bullets?

Reed knows she's the designated patsy to take all the blame away from the senior people on the set.  If there's jail time, she's going to be the one serving it and she knows it.

(I wonder if she still lives in my little town?)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #542 on: April 26, 2022, 08:25:58 pm »
Yep, finger on the trigger. But the gun just went off all by itself.

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1519035964454322178

Online roamer_1

« Reply #543 on: April 26, 2022, 08:30:15 pm »
Reed knows she's the designated patsy to take all the blame away from the senior people on the set.  If there's jail time, she's going to be the one serving it and she knows it.

(I wonder if she still lives in my little town?)

Yeah. like a foot nailed to a railroad tie with a freight train hurtling toward you...

I am not unaware of the final responsibility resting firmly in the hand of the doer... Nor do I deny what ought to be the outcome...

But she did have a direct responsibility as armorer to make certain those guns were all in good repair, stored unloaded, and kept secure.

Unless it can be proven otherwise, like a physically broken lock, intentional tampering, or some such...

She ought to be on the hook for something. She is necessarily culpable. Especially considering the morons she is dealing with.

However, she should not be the bagholder here (which she inevitably will be)... The weight should fall on Baldwin. It is his primary responsibility to KNOW the gun is unloaded, and to treat it as loaded anyway.

But, she is not without some guilt.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 08:31:44 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #544 on: April 26, 2022, 08:36:48 pm »
Yeah. like a foot nailed to a railroad tie with a freight train hurtling toward you...

I am not unaware of the final responsibility resting firmly in the hand of the doer... Nor do I deny what ought to be the outcome...

But she did have a direct responsibility as armorer to make certain those guns were all in good repair, stored unloaded, and kept secure.

Unless it can be proven otherwise, like a physically broken lock, intentional tampering, or some such...

She ought to be on the hook for something. She is necessarily culpable. Especially considering the morons she is dealing with.

However, she should not be the bagholder here (which she inevitably will be)... The weight should fall on Baldwin. It is his primary responsibility to KNOW the gun is unloaded, and to treat it as loaded anyway.

But, she is not without some guilt.

I totally agree, but she will be the only one punished for it, which explains why her statements are self-serving.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #545 on: April 26, 2022, 08:45:51 pm »
I totally agree, but she will be the only one punished for it, which explains why her statements are self-serving.

Ayup.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #546 on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:35 pm »

If all the blame can be put on her, it also absolved Baldwin of any civil liability, which is a more important matter for him.  Let them sue the poor girl.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #547 on: April 26, 2022, 08:54:05 pm »
As an aside, I am pondering why it is that set guns are still fully operational. After 100 years, considering the tech  and FX available And the enormous money Hollywood routinely spends on sets - That they haven't come up with a way to limit such damage...

Something as easy as a blank cartridge with a fatter rim, so the hammer could be shaved... Now the thing will work on a set blank, but won't fire a regular round.

So I would also lay some culpability on the industry itself.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #548 on: April 26, 2022, 09:03:28 pm »
She was working under the umbrella of Baldwin's production company. They will sue him.
When a company truck is in an accident, they don't sue the driver. They sue the employer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:19:02 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #549 on: April 26, 2022, 11:01:39 pm »
As an aside, I am pondering why it is that set guns are still fully operational. After 100 years, considering the tech  and FX available And the enormous money Hollywood routinely spends on sets - That they haven't come up with a way to limit such damage...

Something as easy as a blank cartridge with a fatter rim, so the hammer could be shaved... Now the thing will work on a set blank, but won't fire a regular round.

So I would also lay some culpability on the industry itself.
This is why John Schneider was so angry right after the shooting and did numerous interviews and posted videos explaining the industry standards Baldwin and others violated and discussing that there is no reason to have a working gun or even a detailed replica on a set anymore because sound, flash and other visuals can all be done with modern electronic effects.