Author Topic: Peak Irrelevancy: ‘99.9 Percent Certainty that Humans Caused Climate Change’  (Read 297 times)

rangerrebew

Peak Irrelevancy: ‘99.9 Percent Certainty that Humans Caused Climate Change’
By
Anthony Watts -
October 19, 2021 0

Today, a new “peer-reviewed” paper is being released from Cornell University titled Greater than 99% Consensus on Human Caused Climate Change in the Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature.

The study is yet another attempt to convey the nebulous notion that widespread scientific consensus exists regarding the primary causal factor behind climate change. A previous study, spearheaded by climate blogger activist John Cook, concluded in 2013 there was “97 percent consensus.” Despite near universal acclaim and its citation by leading policymakers such as the United Kingdom’s energy minister, the study was inherently flawed.

Dr. Mike Hulme of the University of East Anglia explains, “The ‘97% consensus’ article is poorly conceived, poorly designed and poorly executed. It obscures the complexities of the climate issue and it is a sign of the desperately poor level of public and policy debate in this country [UK] that the energy minister should cite it.”

Even The Guardian – typically a stalwart supporter of climate activism – ran a headline stating: The claim of a 97% consensus on global warming does not stand up

https://climaterealism.com/2021/10/peak-irrelevancy-99-9-percent-certainty-that-humans-caused-climate-change/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Peak Irrelevancy: ‘99.9 Percent Certainty that Humans Caused Climate Change’
By
Anthony Watts -
October 19, 2021 0

Today, a new “peer-reviewed” paper is being released from Cornell University titled Greater than 99% Consensus on Human Caused Climate Change in the Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature.

In 1500, if a peer reviewed scientific paper was done on astronomical configuation, you would have had near 100% consensus that the sun, moon, and stars circled the earth.  At least those scientist would have at least intellectual integrity.  The band of clowns now have bought off an cultish like scam that has alliterative motives for its junk science.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

This is what I have to say about scientific "consensus" - throughout the first half of the Twentieth Century (that's right, the good old 1900s), the scientific consensus was that continental drift was "moonshine" (courtesy, David Attenborough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_drift#The_fixists ) that was not discussed in "polite" scientific circles.

Furthermore, one of the main proponents of the theory during that time period, Alfred Wegener, was dismissed out of hand by many because he was not a geologist.

Turns out, Wegener was right, and all of his sneering critics, and the scientific "consensus" of the time, were blatantly wrong.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Offline EdinVA

I find it interesting that "reported findings" are expressed in the most dramatic manor....
We get constant exacting (ha) body counts for covid but when discussing climate it is alway percentages.
So how many, exactly, is 99.9%?  Would that be 9 out of 10 people surveyed?  99 out of 100? 999 out of 1000?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I find it interesting that "reported findings" are expressed in the most dramatic manor....
We get constant exacting (ha) body counts for covid but when discussing climate it is alway percentages.
So how many, exactly, is 99.9%?  Would that be 9 out of 10 people surveyed?  99 out of 100? 999 out of 1000?

It has pretty much been set that if you are a meteorlogist and climatologist, and you question the Climate Change Mantra, that you will automatically be castigated off as a heretic. I'd venture a 1/3 to 1/2 are skeptical but fear for their professional life. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have news for all these climate alarmists.  The climate on this globe has been changing since it was formed and will be changing forever more.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It has pretty much been set that if you are a meteorlogist and climatologist, and you question the Climate Change Mantra, that you will automatically be castigated off as a heretic. I'd venture a 1/3 to 1/2 are skeptical but fear for their professional life.

Kinda like working at any university and coming out of the closet as a conservative.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline The_Reader_David

The rub is in the definition of terms.  I have an even higher degree of certainty that humans can change the climate:  There are small regions of the earth's surface which for decades have had hotter temperatures than they did previously and higher than surrounding regions due to human activity (they're called "cities" and the higher temperatures are called "the urban heat island effect").  Temperatures in the American Great Plains used to have much larger swings between summer heat and winter cold before the Corps of Engineers built lots of lakes for flood control. 

I'm even think it likely that the warming trend since the end of the Little Ice Age (though largely caused by variations in solar irradiance and solar magnetism -- see work of Svensmark on the latter -- has been exacerbated by human activity.  The problem is that the IPCC models and all the other alarmist models all assume that human contribution to warming is mediated entirely by CO2 and CH4 emissions, when in fact, besides these there are the already mentioned urban heat island effect and changed to Arctic albedo due to the deposition of soot from coal and wood burning (both of which, unlike the greenhouse gas contribution explain the asymmetry between the Arctic and Antarctic, which cannot be explained by greenhouse gas warming, as greenhouse gasses, esp. CO2, are well-mixed in the atmosphere).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

The rub is in the definition of terms.  I have an even higher degree of certainty that humans can change the climate:  There are small regions of the earth's surface which for decades have had hotter temperatures than they did previously and higher than surrounding regions due to human activity (they're called "cities" and the higher temperatures are called "the urban heat island effect").  Temperatures in the American Great Plains used to have much larger swings between summer heat and winter cold before the Corps of Engineers built lots of lakes for flood control. 

I'm even think it likely that the warming trend since the end of the Little Ice Age (though largely caused by variations in solar irradiance and solar magnetism -- see work of Svensmark on the latter -- has been exacerbated by human activity.  The problem is that the IPCC models and all the other alarmist models all assume that human contribution to warming is mediated entirely by CO2 and CH4 emissions, when in fact, besides these there are the already mentioned urban heat island effect and changed to Arctic albedo due to the deposition of soot from coal and wood burning (both of which, unlike the greenhouse gas contribution explain the asymmetry between the Arctic and Antarctic, which cannot be explained by greenhouse gas warming, as greenhouse gasses, esp. CO2, are well-mixed in the atmosphere).

Another interesting effect of human activity is the effect that large solar arrays and windfarms are having on the local environment surrounding those installations.  They, too, act like heat islands.

Offline EdinVA

Another interesting effect of human activity is the effect that large solar arrays and windfarms are having on the local environment surrounding those installations.  They, too, act like heat islands.

And the vast acreage of asphalt for parking lots and roads.

Offline Kamaji

And the vast acreage of asphalt for parking lots and roads.

True enough, but those are, if you will, "traditional" heat islands.  The point I was trying to get across was that because of the narrow idee fixe on CO2, the "solutions" chosen - so-called renewable energy sources - were in fact contributing to precisely the problem they were supposed to be addressing when a broader, more realistic view of things is taken.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
With more and more actual real science proof that we are entering a period of cooling will these muttonheads shift to blaming Humans for the global cooling?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
With more and more actual real science proof that we are entering a period of cooling will these muttonheads shift to blaming Humans for the global cooling?

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I'm not a huge fan of cooler weather but we just had one of the most mild october's in memory. I miss brisk fall days.

rangerrebew

My guess is the whackos will blame cool weather on the fact that global warming didn't begin fast enough and now they have to battle humans from making the world freeze over.  All those planned wind farms won't have to be built then because it could cause the world to freeze faster.  They'll have to let cows fart and burp which will create quite a stink. :silly:

Offline Absalom

Brainless malarkey!
The Almighty created Nature, millennia light years before Mankind.
As such, the former rules the climate, not Man.