Poll

Should I upgrade to Windows 11 now?

Yes, go ahead!
Not yet.  Wait until just before the free upgrade expires!
No!  Never!
Buy some weed at a legal Dispensory!

Author Topic: Windows 11 (Poll included)  (Read 8733 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Windows 11 (Poll included)
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2021, 02:36:54 pm »
Okay...I tried installing W11 and it wouldn't connect...I kept getting this

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/secure-connection-failed-firefox-did-not-connect

This doesn't make sense since I was able to install 11 on Mike's laptop with the same settings

Is this because I have FF as my dedicated browser?

These instructions are all Greek to me... :shrug:

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2021, 02:41:25 pm »
Okay...I tried installing W11 and it wouldn't connect...I kept getting this

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/secure-connection-failed-firefox-did-not-connect

This doesn't make sense since I was able to install 11 on Mike's laptop with the same settings

Is this because I have FF as my dedicated browser?

These instructions are all Greek to me... :shrug:

What website were you trying to connect to?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2021, 02:54:53 pm »
What website were you trying to connect to?

None...I got this error when it was downloading..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2021, 02:56:17 pm »
None...I got this error when it was downloading..

Downloading the W11 via firefox?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »
Downloading the W11 via firefox?

Nothing was open...I was on the start menu got the link to download...hit download and all this popped up
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2021, 03:11:38 pm »
Nothing was open...I was on the start menu got the link to download...hit download and all this popped up

Hmmm, strange.  And also at the end of my very meager knowledge!  Hopefully one of the computer whizzes will be by shortly to help!  Sorry!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2021, 03:51:04 pm »
So...Firefox is halting the update, even though it's not running in the foreground.  It must be running in the background.  Curious.  I want to ponder this a bit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2021, 04:54:41 pm »
So...Firefox is halting the update, even though it's not running in the foreground.  It must be running in the background.  Curious.  I want to ponder this a bit.

Well 2nd time was a charm...What I did this time was clean and clear cookies with ccleaner shut down..power up went straight to the start menu and downloaded it... :shrug:
Support the USO

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2021, 09:24:05 pm »
Well, I got put on a job with a brand new Win 11 'puter.

It is just similar enough to Win 10 to aggravate me. Previous drop down menus that I used in 10 require me to click on "other options" before I can do what took only one mouse click before. Seems like another step backward for efficiency-I don't like it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2021, 09:43:06 pm »
I'm getting the 11 push popups too.
Clicked on it just for no reason a few days ago.
Kept telling me that first I have to download this thing and that thing, before I can get the upgrade.
No way. Exit and reboot. Maybe it was real? Maybe it was a virus site.
Either way I see no need to go 11. Windows updates have a very bad reputation.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2021, 09:48:40 pm »
I'm getting the 11 push popups too.
Clicked on it just for no reason a few days ago.
Kept telling me that first I have to download this thing and that thing, before I can get the upgrade.
No way. Exit and reboot. Maybe it was real? Maybe it was a virus site.
Either way I see no need to go 11. Windows updates have a very bad reputation.

CNET agrees with you in their review, Win11 doesn't offer much to folks that run 10.

But, nature will take it's course when they decide to not support W10.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online berdie

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2021, 10:46:04 pm »
I humbly admit that I am the least computer literate member on this board.

I accidently installed Win11 when a pop up appeared and said install "install now or later". I naively thought there would be another option that would give me the control to do so. Nope...it installed "later" without my prompting.

I was content with Win 10. Win 11 has messed up the start, my wallpaper and Excell access.  8888crybaby

But I guess I'll learn to be tickled pink over it....eventually. Be cranky now or be cranky later!!! I don't like change. :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2021, 11:37:24 pm »

I accidently installed Win11 when a pop up appeared and said install "install now or later". I naively thought there would be another option that would give me the control to do so. Nope...it installed "later" without my prompting.

I was content with Win 10. Win 11 has messed up the start, my wallpaper and Excell access.  8888crybaby

But I guess I'll learn to be tickled pink over it....eventually. Be cranky now or be cranky later!!! I don't like change. :laugh:

I don't like it either.  This machine, my main one, is still W10.  I have a couple of both.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2021, 02:16:43 am »

Thankfully, ALL of my W10 boxes are just old enough that they will not support W11 without some intervention on my part and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2021, 02:30:35 am »

@berdie
You CAN change it back... Settings=>Updates and Security=> Recovery

Should be a thing in there to revert to previous operating system...

Not me... had it on for about a week, and reloaded back to 10
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 02:32:53 am by roamer_1 »

Online berdie

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2021, 04:56:55 pm »
@berdie

Thanks @roamer_1 . I'll save this info should I find that I just can't deal with 11. For now things are ok and I can see me really making a mess of things if I try to reload 10. Remember I said I'm illiterate, lol.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2021, 05:06:55 pm »
@berdie

I see 11 as the new Vista...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2021, 05:12:32 pm »

Thanks @roamer_1 . I'll save this info should I find that I just can't deal with 11. For now things are ok and I can see me really making a mess of things if I try to reload 10. Remember I said I'm illiterate, lol.

That option in Win 10 (to revert back to Win 7) was only good for 30 days since initial install.  That may be in Win 11 also (30 day trail period). @berdie
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2021, 07:44:29 pm »
If before you upgrade to 11, you take an image backup of your system using a program such as Macrium, then you can restore back to that image at any time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2021, 05:06:21 am »
I see 11 as the new Vista...

Yeah... Not impressed with the fit and feel. There are some things under the hood that are pretty nice... It feels smoother, faster... DriverID seems to be even better. And I was surprised when it found unpaired bluetooth automatically and asked me if I wanted to hook it up... A simple yes, and there it was.

But fit and feel, it feels more like a downgrade. HATE the new start bar. Everything seems to take two or three more clicks... meh.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 05:07:13 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2021, 12:38:31 pm »
If before you upgrade to 11, you take an image backup of your system using a program such as Macrium, then you can restore back to that image at any time.

:thumbsup:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2021, 02:20:03 pm »
Yeah... Not impressed with the fit and feel. There are some things under the hood that are pretty nice... It feels smoother, faster... DriverID seems to be even better. And I was surprised when it found unpaired bluetooth automatically and asked me if I wanted to hook it up... A simple yes, and there it was.

But fit and feel, it feels more like a downgrade. HATE the new start bar. Everything seems to take two or three more clicks... meh.
The start bar is crap, and I don't like the feel of it, not after the vertical bars of systems past. It has a phone feel to it, and I don't want my computer to feel like a phone, nor do I want my phone to take over what the  'puter does.

But it is the multiple click bit that aggravates me. I frequently rename data files to smooth importing them into other programs, and it takes two click to get to "rename" instead of just one. Every time is wasted time, and when it is crunch time on this job, every second can count. Also to get down to compressing or sending files in the option stack, it is the two click trip. You'd think they were in cahoots with the people who make computer mice, because that will cut the useful life of the mouse in half. (Yes, I have worn those little micro-switches out before, just as I have worn the letters off of keyboards.--E,C,L,A N, seem to go first...)

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2021, 06:00:41 pm »
The start bar is crap, and I don't like the feel of it, not after the vertical bars of systems past. It has a phone feel to it, and I don't want my computer to feel like a phone, nor do I want my phone to take over what the  'puter does.

Yes, it is a  downgrade in usability for me - Though I am a menu hawg. Like I said, I use three panels on the start menu to organize my front end. All of that is completely GONE in 11... Which would not be bad if the thing they replaced it with - The widgets button (that now must take up very expensive real estate on my start bar), which is a feed tool rather than the simple widgets of win10... Designed around feed... I can't even get all of my PiM tools in there.  9999hair out0000

Now that Start is only minimally arrange-able, one is really limited to deep search of the menu, or a Win+R style of find\execute (which is my fallback) - I can do it alright - But I don't like it.

But it is the multiple click bit that aggravates me. I frequently rename data files to smooth importing them into other programs, and it takes two click to get to "rename" instead of just one. Every time is wasted time, and when it is crunch time on this job, every second can count. Also to get down to compressing or sending files in the option stack, it is the two click trip. You'd think they were in cahoots with the people who make computer mice, because that will cut the useful life of the mouse in half. (Yes, I have worn those little micro-switches out before, just as I have worn the letters off of keyboards.--E,C,L,A N, seem to go first...)

I heard that alright! I am an RDP freak (Remote Desktop) which is also in the [...more] list. I also rename a lot. The new context menu is crap... And I wreck Ctrl, Win, C, V, R, and down-arrow. I wreck about  a keyboard per year on my main laptop and on my main whip desktop (which is actually KVM'd to three machines)... I HATE extra steps - Especially without need or reason.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2022, 02:38:41 am »
Sounds like I won't be converting my current Win10 system to Win11. 

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2022, 12:11:17 pm »
Sounds like I won't be converting my current Win10 system to Win11.
I wouldn't. I have a Win 10 and a Win 11 here at work, and I'd rather have two Win 10s. The Win 11 machine aggravates me for its inefficiency.

C S Lewis