Poll

Should I upgrade to Windows 11 now?

Yes, go ahead!
Not yet.  Wait until just before the free upgrade expires!
No!  Never!
Buy some weed at a legal Dispensory!

Author Topic: Windows 11 (Poll included)  (Read 8594 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Windows 11 (Poll included)
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2021, 12:56:46 am »
So was I up until a couple of months ago..then my pc crashed and I had to buy a new one...I am afraid to upgrade to 11...whatever can happen will happen to me..lol
I was using Windows 10 at work and hated it, so we kept 7 even after buying a new computer which would have come with 10.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2021, 12:59:14 am »
MS has changed that a bit... Nuke and Pave (or theoretically setup in win from thumb which MAY upgrade)... either way I guess (though I only KNOW nuke and pave) allows older procs - Mine is an old i7

Went in like budda - no hacks at all.

FOR SURE needs GPT formatting and UEFI... But that is all I did so far....

May turn on tpm and secure boot, but it updated fine and is working beautifully.

I hate it btw...

If I have to mess with the BIOS to get something to work that may not be all that much better than what I've got... I'll just leave well enough alone.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2021, 01:04:01 am »
If I have to mess with the BIOS to get something to work that may not be all that much better than what I've got... I'll just leave well enough alone.

So far it is quicker, and smooth as black ice... But it ain't better... at least IMHO. Usability is way down. They moved every dang thing around and the start bar sucks.

Offline DB

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2021, 01:34:29 am »
So far it is quicker, and smooth as black ice... But it ain't better... at least IMHO. Usability is way down. They moved every dang thing around and the start bar sucks.

I've used True Launch for many years and really like it.

http://www.truelaunchbar.com/

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:47 am »

Yeah thanks... As a pooter tech, I have to learn to run this crap.  :shrug: :whistle: **nononono* *****rollingeyes*****

Offline corbe

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2021, 04:35:09 am »
   W10 is suppose to be supported by MS for at least another 3 years, right?
   W11 is not a great learning curve from W10, IMHO, but i'm sticking with 10 for as long as i can.  My PC is getting a little long in the tooth, like me.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online ironhorsedriver

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2021, 12:27:13 pm »
My wife just got me a new laptop with windows 11 on it. Right off the bat, it refused a different browser, any browser. Took for ever to find how to cut that off. Appears in max security setting, which is how it comes set up, only microsoft software can be used. Reset that and everything is fine. It does not have a disk clean function at all. also, nearly impossible to find files in the new menu. Also, if you have pictures that just won't load, no matter what, that is also part of that max security setting.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2021, 01:48:59 pm »
My wife just got me a new laptop with windows 11 on it. Right off the bat, it refused a different browser, any browser. Took for ever to find how to cut that off. Appears in max security setting, which is how it comes set up, only microsoft software can be used. Reset that and everything is fine. It does not have a disk clean function at all. also, nearly impossible to find files in the new menu. Also, if you have pictures that just won't load, no matter what, that is also part of that max security setting.

Sounds like another new MS product where the primary value-add is the visual bling, but the functionality has been further castrated.

Methinks I will (a) keep my new laptop on the Win10 it came with, and (b) stay with linux going forward for newer OSes.  My next computer purchase just may be an ODM machine without any preinstalled OS, so I can put a fresh linux on it without having to pay for a Win OS I'll never use.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2021, 02:48:05 pm »
I'd say go for it. I upgraded my gaming laptop to 11 and I've been pretty happy with it so far.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2021, 03:08:28 pm »

I use Firefox..does 11 support it..will it still be there after I  install W11?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2021, 03:27:14 pm »
I use Firefox..does 11 support it..will it still be there after I  install W11?

I installed 11 on a couple of our machines, and FF is still there and working.  Same for Chrome. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »
I'd say go for it. I upgraded my gaming laptop to 11 and I've been pretty happy with it so far.

It is smooth, and feels quicker... I will give it that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2021, 06:15:51 pm »
also, nearly impossible to find files in the new menu.

YUP...

HATE the new start menu. Hate the 'widgets' menu. My start menu in win10 is 3 panels wide - The first panel is shortcuts I use all the time - ARRANGED AND GROUPED how I want them... The second panel is PIM widgets, large and wide - Email, calendar and todo... And the third panel has large calendar and picture widgets that are basically placeholders, because all around them are baby icons to utility things I access all the time. Editors, file managers, RDP, VNC, partition managers, Cmd box, and etc...

All that wonderful organized structure, immediately accessible by WinKey... and really, as far as I would nearly always need to go.... All arranged and organized in one place = ALL GONE.

I HATE the new menu.

Offline corbe

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2021, 06:17:34 pm »
   I've found that if you were getting around in W10 OK, you should be able to figure out W11.  Everything is still there but in typical MS fashion with the advent of a new OS they moved everything.  I just put a 92yo Woman comfortably on W11 and she was never considered a Power User.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »
Sounds like another new MS product where the primary value-add is the visual bling, but the functionality has been further castrated.

Methinks I will (a) keep my new laptop on the Win10 it came with, and (b) stay with linux going forward for newer OSes.  My next computer purchase just may be an ODM machine without any preinstalled OS, so I can put a fresh linux on it without having to pay for a Win OS I'll never use.

I keep threatening to turn this house Linux. And my business has been damaged enough that it is basically nonexistent... Maybe I will go where you are going...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2021, 06:35:13 pm »
I keep threatening to turn this house Linux. And my business has been damaged enough that it is basically nonexistent... Maybe I will go where you are going...

I set up an older laptop on linux mint 6 months ago, as a dual boot, and it is becoming my go-to machine except when I need to work on an MS Word document for work, in which case I use my new Win10 machine, or when I want to use CorelDRAW.  I haven't booted into the Win installation on the dual boot machine since I set it up.

Other than accessing MS Word documents, it's my view that there are linux distributions out now that (a) are ready for prime-time use by people who are not superusers, and (b) are fully supported by the group that put it together, so frequent updating takes place.

To be quite honest, one of the things that just finally turned me off to Windows was sitting there waiting for half an hour while it updated itself and installed the updates.  The linux machine, by contrast, which is a slower machine with an hdd instead of an sdd, and an old pentium processor, updates itself in minutes - even when it makes updates to crucial kernel software.

I would definitely recommend people give linux a try, at least on an old machine to see how they like it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2021, 06:57:36 pm »
I set up an older laptop on linux mint 6 months ago, as a dual boot, and it is becoming my go-to machine except when I need to work on an MS Word document for work, in which case I use my new Win10 machine, or when I want to use CorelDRAW.  I haven't booted into the Win installation on the dual boot machine since I set it up.

Other than accessing MS Word documents, it's my view that there are linux distributions out now that (a) are ready for prime-time use by people who are not superusers, and (b) are fully supported by the group that put it together, so frequent updating takes place.

To be quite honest, one of the things that just finally turned me off to Windows was sitting there waiting for half an hour while it updated itself and installed the updates.  The linux machine, by contrast, which is a slower machine with an hdd instead of an sdd, and an old pentium processor, updates itself in minutes - even when it makes updates to crucial kernel software.

I would definitely recommend people give linux a try, at least on an old machine to see how they like it.

I was a Slacker way back in the day... Been on Susi and RedHat. Wound up in BSD till Ubuntu came along... And from Ubuntu to Mint, which is my current fav.

I currently have no boxen in Linux. I could easily turn my TV machines Linux... But the rest would be tough so long as I stay in business. Not only do I have to operate Win in order to stay current as to the problems my clients will face, but the lion's share of tools are win oriented. A good portion of my business is (was, really) Hell Desk over the phone. The bricks and mortar of it is recovery work and OS repair. All of that is win oriented. I seldom get Linux calls, installs, or recovery, even though I am happy to help Linux along with my clients.

So... So long as I am trying to save my business, I will probably be forced to remain a Win house.  :shrug:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2021, 08:54:12 pm »
I was a Slacker way back in the day... Been on Susi and RedHat. Wound up in BSD till Ubuntu came along... And from Ubuntu to Mint, which is my current fav.

I currently have no boxen in Linux. I could easily turn my TV machines Linux... But the rest would be tough so long as I stay in business. Not only do I have to operate Win in order to stay current as to the problems my clients will face, but the lion's share of tools are win oriented. A good portion of my business is (was, really) Hell Desk over the phone. The bricks and mortar of it is recovery work and OS repair. All of that is win oriented. I seldom get Linux calls, installs, or recovery, even though I am happy to help Linux along with my clients.

So... So long as I am trying to save my business, I will probably be forced to remain a Win house.  :shrug:

Fair enough!!

At least one can always say that Windows puts food on the table!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2021, 08:58:08 pm »
Okay I just downloaded W11 on Mike's laptop....tested it on his... :silly:

Worked perfectly...I will  do mine later or in the morning...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:52 pm »
Ultimately the work tools I use dictates what OS I use.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2021, 09:29:26 pm »
Okay I just downloaded W11 on Mike's laptop....tested it on his... :silly:

Worked perfectly...I will  do mine later or in the morning...
@mystery-ak
Well, did you mandate this experimental activity or did you leave it up to Mr. Mike and his computer guru?   :silly:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2021, 09:31:26 pm »
Ultimately the work tools I use dictates what OS I use.

Very true.  I would probably go without Windows at all but for the fact that I still need access to MS Office software for work, and I don't want to have to shell out again for CorelDRAW.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »
What about OpenOffice for Linux?

The newer Office file formats are xml, not binary, so they are more portable.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2021, 09:47:12 pm »
What about OpenOffice for Linux?

The newer Office file formats are xml, not binary, so they are more portable.

I actually have LibreOffice on my linux machine; unfortunately, it doesn't always play nice with the MS Word generated documents.  There are still certain MS Word aspects that are not handled by LibreOffice.

Don't get me wrong, it's generally a good suite of tools, but when I open an MS Word document and try to do editing in it, sometimes the formatting gets messed up.  I look forward to the time that it can fully digest and write MS Word documents; then I'll be free of another MS constraint.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2021, 02:31:29 am »

Apologies... I spoke too soon. This thing may give me back some of the utility that has gone missing in Win11.

Thank you.  :beer: