Poll

Should I upgrade to Windows 11 now?

Yes, go ahead!
Not yet.  Wait until just before the free upgrade expires!
No!  Never!
Buy some weed at a legal Dispensory!

Author Topic: Windows 11 (Poll included)  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Windows 11 (Poll included)
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 02:10:32 am »
I'm waiting for XP professional to be reintroduced.  Till them Gates can suck my big big hard......drive.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 02:39:28 am »
I have Windows 10...only because I had to get a new computer after we moved... electrical problems.... long story.

I definitely preferred Windows XP.   No plans to upgrade to 11.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 03:55:21 am »
The one thing that caught my eye about Window's 11 was the ability to run apps on it. I just want to run my security camera software on my desktop instead of a phone. I hate phones, and the only one I have is a used one my brother gave me that I can't figure out.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 04:17:22 am »
The one thing that caught my eye about Window's 11 was the ability to run apps on it. I just want to run my security camera software on my desktop instead of a phone. I hate phones, and the only one I have is a used one my brother gave me that I can't figure out.

I have an Emulator to run my Android apps, a reason I am cautious about something that might break the emulator. I use it to run my security cams too.

@roamer_1 you mentioned you have boxes running Win11.  Is it a lot like 10, or is it a serious rewrite of the GUIs?  I get the feeling from the buzz MS sends me, it sounds like it basically the same as Win10.  I also expect they are lying.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 08:15:56 am »
@roamer_1 you mentioned you have boxes running Win11.  Is it a lot like 10, or is it a serious rewrite of the GUIs?  I get the feeling from the buzz MS sends me, it sounds like it basically the same as Win10.  I also expect they are lying.

@Cyber Liberty
Actually no, I do not currently have Win11 running on anything... I have loaded it up a couple times - I am inner ring on TechNet, and usually an early adopter - But so far, I am just messing with it.

The biggest crapola is that they have dicked with the start bar again. Can't leave the dang thing alone. Looks more like apple now with centered start that comes up in a centered window. Can't stand that. But the backside looks Win10 alright. Have not dug around much yet,

That's why I was trying to shovel it onto Wentworth - That would have been my first standing installation of my own with an intent toward using it instead of just messin with it. I was due for a new personal laptop anyhow, and I thought I would turn Wentworth Win11 and go get a different one to replace that one as my main laptop.

Now that's shot to hell, and the only other box I might be willing to mess with is the Yoga, and I ain't real keen on that either.

It sure will not be hitting my desks till I know it well.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 08:20:40 am »
I have an Emulator to run my Android apps, a reason I am cautious about something that might break the emulator. I use it to run my security cams too.

Have you messed with MS 'My Phone' app yet? if it will run for you (and that is the question) it brings android messaging and notifications right to your desktop, along with a great emulator for running the phone. Works flawlessly with my Yoga - Less well with my old laptop...

And there is also Samsung Flow which works pretty good too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 06:06:43 pm »
Just got the W11 link to upgrade...I will take the advice here and wait awhile.. :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 06:28:51 pm »
Just got the W11 link to upgrade...I will take the advice here and wait awhile.. :2popcorn:

Dittos.  I'm not a Guinea Pig for Vaxxes or Operating Systems....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2021, 01:55:42 am »
Has anyone downloaded W11 yet?

If so how is it?

Will I have to re-install Firefox or will it still be in my aps when it is done updating?
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 02:31:16 am »
Just for curiosity I ran the tool to see if my machine was W11 compatible and it came back Hell No. I know I can do a back door install, but I'm nowhere near ready to leave W10 yet.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2021, 03:01:02 am »
Has anyone downloaded W11 yet?

If so how is it?

Will I have to re-install Firefox or will it still be in my aps when it is done updating?

The guts of it are still pretty much Win 7-10... They just gotta mess with the start bar. The ONE thing that makes Windows so ubiquitous, and every time they roll out a new one their hate for it is so apparent.

Win11 is Win 10 with a 'wanna be more like Apple' feel. Still ain't got it loaded for use, but I have blown it onto a couple boxes just for giggles. As it turns out, I am shaking loose my main whip on the desktop, and when it comes back it will be Win11 for realz, as I have to get comfortable with it to fix it.

As to your question - Your apps will all work fine.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 03:20:02 am »
I'm waiting for XP professional to be reintroduced.  Till them Gates can suck my big big hard......drive.
Ah, XP. Good times.

As I noted elsewhere, I have an old XP that I occasionally dust off and it still works.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2021, 04:19:56 am »
Ah, XP. Good times.

As I noted elsewhere, I have an old XP that I occasionally dust off and it still works.

I have a game machine with XP on it...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 04:19:59 am »
Ask all those who invested in Windows 8.  Microsoft seems to get it wrong every other version.  So I will hold out for whatever comes after Windows 11.

Windows Vista →  Windows 7
Windows 8      →  Windows 10
Windows 11    →  ??????
I went from 3.11 (bulletproof) to Win 95, to 98SE to XP and held out until WIN 10.

When I have a system that works, especially if I am using it for work, the last thing I want to do is screw with it.
It isn't just Windows, it's the proprietary software I use that has to be updated to run on it. That crap gets expensive.
In a fast paced environment, the last thing I need to do is learn a new OS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 04:23:29 am »
XP was my favorite because it was so darned hard to crash. Not since 3.11 had Windows been so solid. After skipping Win ME, Win 2000, Win 7 and 8, I finally got Win 10. It's okay, but I keep the XP machines because I have an older version of some proprietary software that runs on it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2021, 06:49:22 am »
Considering that I am running Win10 on a real old machine built for XP I don't think I will even try it. I figure I am lucky to have Win 10 operational as it is so 11 will just have to wait until I have to get a new machine and that oughta be about the time Win 12 is being released.

I do have an older ASUS gaming laptop with Win 8 on it so I will be watching to see how you are all doing before I upgrade it.

Offline art.prout

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2021, 09:21:24 am »
XP was my favorite because it was so darned hard to crash. Not since 3.11 had Windows been so solid. After skipping Win ME, Win 2000, Win 7 and 8, I finally got Win 10. It's okay, but I keep the XP machines because I have an older version of some proprietary software that runs on it.

That is the last version of "Windows" that I used.

Can no longer deal with the ish....

888mouth

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2021, 11:48:12 am »
I fear I'll have problems upgrading  to W11 on my machine. I had a W10 upgrade that refused to install as it detected that I had Oracle VirtualBox loaded. I tried and tried to remove all traces of Oracle to no avail. I contacted MS and a nice tech in India spent an hour remotely on my machine before he hacked the upgrade enough to load on my machine. Of course I reinstalled VirtualBox as I have several apps that won't run on W10 that I run with it on W7.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2021, 03:58:10 pm »
I have upgraded two of my machines to W11, and so far they work fine.  This one in my lap is still 10, but I'll upgrade it pretty soon, as the OS works almost the same.  Much easier than the change from W7 to W10. 

My previous machine came with W8.1, I hated it like everybody else in the world and I got the W10 upgrade with a couple months.  This machine would have worked better with 8.1 because it has a touch screen.  The mouse gives me trouble sometimes, but a wireless mouse works a lot better.
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2021, 09:32:34 pm »
Any opinions on Server 2019?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2021, 11:50:58 pm »
I am now running Win11 on my laptop, presumably to stay.

For the tech inclined: This is an older, 'unsupported' box.
changed legacy bios to UEFI, no TPM or SecureBoot. Changed HDDs From MBR to GPT under the illusion I would be able to update from the stick... Booted to the stick, the only option:

Nuke and pave, installed perfectly with no warnings. I did not let it go to internet, because I want a local account, and I want the pooter named before it phones home to MS (saves me going out to remedy multiple aliased machines tied to my user account). Once that was done, I gave it internet.

Running great. Updated fine.

So I am here now. And I cannot put the taskbar on the top without a reg hack...

*SIGH*

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 12:00:44 am »
Don't ax me, I'm still on Windows 7.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 12:17:11 am »
Don't ax me, I'm still on Windows 7.  :whistle:

So was I up until a couple of months ago..then my pc crashed and I had to buy a new one...I am afraid to upgrade to 11...whatever can happen will happen to me..lol
Support the USO

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2021, 12:38:18 am »
My processor will not support Win 11 (AMD Ryzen 5 2400G). I know that it is possible to add a registry key to allow the upgrade, but since my PC is running well enough, I am not comfortable messing around with it.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2021, 12:53:37 am »
My processor will not support Win 11 (AMD Ryzen 5 2400G). I know that it is possible to add a registry key to allow the upgrade, but since my PC is running well enough, I am not comfortable messing around with it.

MS has changed that a bit... Nuke and Pave (or theoretically setup in win from thumb which MAY upgrade)... either way I guess (though I only KNOW nuke and pave) allows older procs - Mine is an old i7

Went in like budda - no hacks at all.

FOR SURE needs GPT formatting and UEFI... But that is all I did so far....

May turn on tpm and secure boot, but it updated fine and is working beautifully.

I hate it btw...