Poll

Should I upgrade to Windows 11 now?

Yes, go ahead!
Not yet.  Wait until just before the free upgrade expires!
No!  Never!
Buy some weed at a legal Dispensory!

Author Topic: Windows 11 (Poll included)  (Read 8598 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Windows 11 (Poll included)
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2022, 05:53:39 pm »
AFAIK you don't run C commands, C is a compiled language, not interpreted. You can create a simple C program in a text file and run something like gcc textfile.c (here textfile.c is the C language text file). It will output to an executable called a.out. In UNIX/Linux you have to alter files permissions to execute them so you can type something like "chmod 777 a.out" to make the file executable. then you can type "./a.out" to run the executable file in UNIX/Linux.

Stacks are one of the most basic data structures, where OS's use them to keep track of what memory address a program has "jumped from". Otherwise we'd have to use goto's, which suck.

From what I am reading so far with Linux, it already has tools to run C.  So I'm guessing the 'mingw' install is not going to be necessary?  I already have it installed on my Win10 system, but not on the VM.

Without seeing it yet, I am speculating the first lab is about stack overflow where some malware is introduced in the stack and the buffer is exceeded causing it to push back to the malware.  Am I making any sense with that?  Anyway, with any computing, practice and repetition is the only thing that works.  I am hoping that 'C' will bring up memories of BASIC programming back when I was a young teenager.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2022, 06:09:10 pm »
From what I am reading so far with Linux, it already has tools to run C.  So I'm guessing the 'mingw' install is not going to be necessary?  I already have it installed on my Win10 system, but not on the VM.

Without seeing it yet, I am speculating the first lab is about stack overflow where some malware is introduced in the stack and the buffer is exceeded causing it to push back to the malware.  Am I making any sense with that?  Anyway, with any computing, practice and repetition is the only thing that works.  I am hoping that 'C' will bring up memories of BASIC programming back when I was a young teenager.

My understanding is that mingw was really intended to be a port to windows of certain gnu compiler tools, so that they'll run on windows and generate windows executables.  For compiling on linux, it shouldn't be necessary, unless you're trying to compile something that will then be run on windows, in which case I understand that there are some cross-platform tools in mingw.

I found some info on this here:  https://www.linux.org/threads/mingw.11589/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2022, 06:13:28 pm »
mingw

Haven't done it yet.  I get this cool box that looks like a DOS window, but has <login name>@<machine name>:~$

Can I run C commands from here?  Or do I still need mingw or other compiler?

Sorry for the stupid questions.  Just signed up for an Internet Security class and will need to know this stuff in coming weeks.  First lab is on stacks.  And I ain't talking pancakes here.  All I know is ones and zeroes.  But I know nothing about where they are stored.

Stacks?

What is Network Security Stack?

https://www.netscout.com/what-is/Network-Security-Stack

The term ‘Security Stack’ is used to help visualize the many different cyber security tools (many times depicted in layers) that an organization uses to protect themselves from cyber threats. More specifically the ‘Network Security Stack’ are those cyber security tools which are network attached and conducting some sort of network traffic/packet analysis to detect and block threats. These could include a wide range of tools including firewalls (FW/NGFW), network intrusion prevention/detection systems (NIPS/NIDS), security information and event management systems (SIEM), secure web gateways (SWG), threat intelligence feeds/platforms, security analytics solutions and advanced malware analysis platforms. Examples in the market today of companies who provide technologies for this layer are Palo Alto Networks, FireEye, Cisco, among others.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2022, 06:13:54 pm »
My understanding is that mingw was really intended to be a port to windows of certain gnu compiler tools, so that they'll run on windows and generate windows executables.  For compiling on linux, it shouldn't be necessary, unless you're trying to compile something that will then be run on windows, in which case I understand that there are some cross-platform tools in mingw.

I found some info on this here:  https://www.linux.org/threads/mingw.11589/

Thank you, sir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2022, 06:58:26 pm »
Thank you, sir.

No worries.  Also, if you've d/l'ed Mint, check out the discussion forums and support forums.  I've found that one can often find all the info one needs for linux questions in places like that; it's a little bit like herding cats when compared to the monolithic support services provided by Microsoft, but then again, one has paid a pretty penny for MS products, and nothing more than time for linux products.  It was incredibly frustrating for me at first, but I think the trade off is worth it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2022, 07:26:07 pm »

You are stirring the cobwebs of my memory with this. Dang, I retired...lol.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2022, 08:07:56 pm »

From my memory,

Buffer overflow involves overwriting a variable so that you can push arbitrary data onto the stack, which can change the return location of a subroutine, such that you can actually return the program to the calling shell prompt, which can give you access to the shell account of a remote computer. Something like that.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2022, 08:29:49 pm »
From my memory,

Buffer overflow involves overwriting a variable so that you can push arbitrary data onto the stack, which can change the return location of a subroutine, such that you can actually return the program to the calling shell prompt, which can give you access to the shell account of a remote computer. Something like that.

Sweet.  Anyone here have the IP address of the Bank of the Caymans?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2022, 08:45:21 pm »
Sweet.  Anyone here have the IP address of the Bank of the Caymans?

There is a really cool debugger called x64 debugger that really illustrates how all this stuff works on a lower level. A bit overwhelming at first.