Poll

Do you use your left foot on the brake pedal when you drive or your right foot?

I use my right foot on both the gas and brake pedals
23 (85.2%)
I use my right foot on the gas pedal and my left foot on the brake pedal
1 (3.7%)
It depends on whether I'm driving an automatic or a standard
1 (3.7%)
I don't drive so I don't care
0 (0%)
I'm usually high on weed so I have no idea which foot I use where
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Left Foot or Right Foot on the Brake Pedal?  (Read 2508 times)

Online Polly Ticks

Left Foot or Right Foot on the Brake Pedal?
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:09:59 pm »
I saw this picture on the TBR Silliness Thread:

... and she's apparently a left foot braker. 

Which foot do you use on the brake pedal?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:11:22 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Left Foot or Right Foot on the Brake Pedal?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:56:10 pm »
Left foot is for the clutch and the dimmer switch.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:56:38 pm »

What if one has neither in one's car?

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:02:57 pm »

That was my first thought. :laugh:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:05:17 pm »

Damn. The last time I could get my foot up to the turn signal stalk was...was like never.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 09:05:53 pm »

That was my first thought. :laugh:

Dimmer Switch?  Haven't had one on a vehcicle in what 35 years or so?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 09:08:54 pm »
I saw this picture on the TBR Silliness Thread:... and she's apparently a left foot braker. 

I want a kitten holder in my car
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »
Dimmer Switch?  Haven't had one on a vehcicle in what 35 years or so?

Mine was next to the windshield washer foot pump on my 67 Rambler Rebel.  Every time I wanted to wash the windows I hit the brights.  Damn annoying when you were baked and did it to a cop..

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 09:15:18 pm »
Damn. The last time I could get my foot up to the turn signal stalk was...was like never.

I did that once, quite by accident, and it cost a pretty penny to fix the damage I did to the turn-signal lever!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 09:18:22 pm »
Mine was next to the windshield washer foot pump on my 67 Rambler Rebel.  Every time I wanted to wash the windows I hit the brights.  Damn annoying when you were baked and did it to a cop..

Worst automotive change of all time?  Bucket Seats. And you guys know why........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 09:26:38 pm »
Worst automotive change of all time?  Bucket Seats. And you guys know why........

Then the big three copied the Japs and made the center console standard.  It was the end of paradise under the dashboard lights.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 09:48:25 pm »
I did that once, quite by accident, and it cost a pretty penny to fix the damage I did to the turn-signal lever!

So, the weed option, then?

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 09:48:34 pm »
On an automatic, left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, so one can load-up the torque converter before launch.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 09:49:41 pm »

I want a kitten holder in my car

Nah, that would imply that YOU aren't holding the kitten, and neither you nor the kitten would be happy with that arrangement.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 09:52:45 pm »
Left foot on the gas. Right foot on the foot stomp starter button.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 09:53:23 pm »
Years ago, I would have selected the weed option.  When I first was learning to drive the driving instructor had us using the left for the brake and the right for the gas.  My father quickly corrected me, and had me learn to use my right foot for both the brake and the gas; it was less confusing. Much, much easier and indeed less confusing.

So...right foot...brake and gas!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 09:53:24 pm »
On an automatic, left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, so one can load-up the torque converter before launch.

Hmmmm.
Our #5 son just started driving, and I always want to teach them to drive with one foot so if they ever drive a standard it will be more natural for them.  Hubby likes the 2-foot method ... in retrospect, he's probably thinking along your lines.  :pondering:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 09:56:11 pm »
I saw this picture on the TBR Silliness Thread:... and she's apparently a left foot braker. 

I like the kitten holder!  Now, if somehow they could make it much bigger and turn it into a dog holder that would be great.  As a puppy, they learn to lie in the lap, but a full grown lap dog while driving becomes a bit of a problem.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 09:57:18 pm »
Hmmmm.
Our #5 son just started driving, and I always want to teach them to drive with one foot so if they ever drive a standard it will be more natural for them.  Hubby likes the 2-foot method ... in retrospect, he's probably thinking along your lines.  :pondering:

5 boys.  God Bless you @Polly Ticks   ... that means eventually 5 daughter in-laws....Good Luck with that.  happy77

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 10:25:26 pm »
Hmmmm.

When I taught our first( a son) to drive, I was evil. I enforced that he learn to take off using only one foot. It was a standard and he learned to take off using only the clutch. Once he learned clutch control, I then taught him using both feet.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 10:31:30 pm »

And get the turbo spun up a bit, too.

Offline yodaspock

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 10:48:12 pm »
No goofy footers (Left foot on the brake), I can't teach my wife to use a manual, I love a manual.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 11:01:54 pm »
No goofy footers (Left foot on the brake), I can't teach my wife to use a manual, I love a manual.

I couldn't teach my wife to use a manual either. I was trying to teach her and she stopped in the middle of a busy intersection and got out. She said she couldn't learn from me. After that she learned on her own. In hindsight, I remembered that I learned to drive a stick on my own. Some things you just have to learn on your own.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 11:33:52 pm »
From a controls standpoint, you wouldn't want to tell a valve to open and close at the same time.  Likewise, you wouldn't want to accelerate and brake at the same time.  Hence, same foot for both tasks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 11:43:13 pm »
I learned about love in the back of a Dodge. The lesson hadn't gone too far.